Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Newcastle (H) Post match thread

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’m more worried about what I saw tonight than I have been excited about what I saw in the last 4 games. I don’t think he’s changed a great deal yet, whether that be a personel issue I don’t know. But let’s be totally blunt here: we are nowhere near a European footballing side. Get that out of your minds right now. 7th flatters us no end and is more a reflection on our fixtures than the performances. Long road ahead I’m afraid chaps, it’s not going to be smooth either. 

Why would you think otherwise....Puel was not the disaster some would have,and the team is in a rebuilding era,where players are still staking their claim.

Too many fans on here,trying to make out,all is so simple...This is football...a game that delivers automatically twists and turns...Trying to make believe one

knows better and have all the answers.....

Brendan Rodgers has just taken over,he has to see what his new wards can deliver....There isn't a magic wand that moulds a team and new managers immediately

Together.....

even so early..the same crap we have had to put up with all season,starts again....The trolls insisting on their pound of flesh,..blame..blame..blame!!!

what do you really expect at this stage....!!

14 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Err,  because we’ve been told that there was nothing wrong with the players, they’re top 6 material. Apparently it was the toxic atmosphere induced by the manager that was the problem. Once we got rid of him, all would be well...we were told...

It was one game not 18 months of turgid football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Like when?

There's plenty of Puel games where the second half performance was so much better than the first.

I think most of our wins came from improved second half performances where he changed personnel to effect the game.

He may have had faults but reading the game wasn't one of them.

• Like 2

Just now, Ian S said:

It was one game not 18 months of turgid football.

The same turgid 18 months when Puel had a similar start to Rodgers and beat Man City at home and Chelsea away?

Look I like Brendan, but there has been a lot of nonsense written in opposition to Puel which my response was in reply to. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

There's plenty of Puel games where the second half performance was so much better than the first.

I think most of our wins came from improved second half performances where he changed personnel to effect the game.

2nd halfs had to improve as we were regularly absolutely dreadful first half so don’t try and rewrite history.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, murphy said:

Very disappointing performance.  Especially being outfought and outmuscled.

It does make wonder whether a plan B  'lampost' is on order.

If teams come to sit back and frustrate us and squeeze the space, we are not good enough to break them down.  If teams are going to sit back and let us have the ball, I really think we should go medieval on their ass, bypass the banks of defenders and pump the ball into the box to a big target man if we can't play through them.

It might not be pretty and I'm not advocating it as plan A but it could be effective.  Tonight would have been the perfect game to unleash a bombardment.

Absolutely agree with that. Better to pump the ball up and to (most of the time) win the 2nd ball from the defender's clearance, because then you win the ball back in their half when their defence is unsettled and you can then push forward quickly and profitably; rather than passing the ball square and gradually further back, getting more and more nervy, until you end up losing the ball in your own half when you are all at sea.

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Puelesque.

Every criticism you could level at a Puel defeat, you could level at our team tonight.

Well it is basically the same players trying to break down a team with 10 players behind the ball. Rodgers might be a decent coach, but he's still only got Gray and Barnes as first choice wide attackers.

1 minute ago, Ian S said:

2nd halfs had to improve as we were regularly absolutely dreadful first half so don’t try and rewrite history.

no one is trying to rewrite history, but neither should you ignore the facts. Puel may have bben stubborn for his own good but when it came to tactics he was good at reading the game and making the necessary adjustments.

Rogers had one go at it tonight and failed miserably.

• Like 3

From about 20 mins in it was clear we needed a lot more than Vardy on his own down the middle never got a sniff against flat 5 at the back.Needed another presence in there which Nacho eventually provided last 10 but very late from Brendan

I would say good to see Allbrighton smacking decent  some crosses in - he should be giving lessons to Chilwell on Monday morning.Chilwell and Maguire we could easily manage without  for good money.

Credit to Newcastle though.

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

It's just one sub-par performance, chaps and chapesses.

It's almost like most football teams don't tend win every match :thumbup:

Newcastle came, stuck 10 men behind the ball and played on the counter. We don't have the quality to break that down at the moment. These things happen, even Man City lost to them this season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Although I think the idea is to not get into those situations in the first place. He certainly wasn't very good at that otherwise he would arguably be still in a job. Too many times were up against it by the end of the first half, that cannot he defended and "improved" performances should not be papering over those glaring cracks in his tactics.

• Like 1

Just now, jim5000 said:

It's almost like most football teams don't tend win every match :thumbup:

Newcastle came, stuck 10 men behind the ball and played on the counter. They got the first goal and could sit back after that. 5 at the back ffs. We don't have the quality to break that down at the moment. These things happen, even Man City lost to them this season.

I don't think we played badly as such, we played without purpose. Which in truth is why we made the managerial change. Ndidi was awful, chilwell and barnes clumsy, gray ineffective. Play was slow and massively predictable. Their goal killed us as likely a bonus to what was a containment and break set up, for which they did pretty well.

For me we will always lack a plan b as attacking wise we have no 'new' dynamic to add. Rondon for them was arguably the best player on the park, we have nothing like those strengths in our squad. In truth we really should have.

53 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

As others have said and I have mentioned before Wes and Maguire really can’t play together. And as good as he is I think Maguire slows the play down by trying to do too much sometimes 

Evans seems a far more accomplished centre back at the moment. He does the basic things right and brings out the best of those around him. Maguire is buying into his own hype machine this season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blanchflower78 said:

I don't think we played badly as such, we played without purpose. Which in truth is why we made the managerial change. Ndidi was awful, chilwell and barnes clumsy, gray ineffective. Play was slow and massively predictable. Their goal killed us as likely a bonus to what was a containment and break set up, for which they did pretty well.

For me we will always lack a plan b as attacking wise we have no 'new' dynamic to add. Rondon for them was arguably the best player on the park, we have nothing like those strengths in our squad. In truth we really should have.

We tried, but 90% of our signings before Puel were pants. e.g. Silmani :facepalm:

Edited by jim5000

2 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Agree.  But it's an area we have to explore, just nothing to change a game from an offensive position. Without Vardy we are essentially screwed!

It's alright, we've got one more season left to find a replacement before Vardy retires :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

If we do want to have a chance of cracking the top six then we have to learn how to deal with these sorts of games. We all knew what they were coming to do and they executed it perfectly. Big fan of Ricardo but Ritchie did far to easily at the second attempt to cross for the goal. The only meaningful chance we did get we didn’t take. Disappointed that our run is over but hopefully Rodgers can see the issues we have in these sorts of games and find a way to deal with them better. On to West Ham

....said it before, I would rather we had a proper right back with Ricardo playing up the pitch, than have Ricardo in defence.

Seems like a lot of goals and chances for the opposition come from his side with players running off him as he is not aware of players around him. Ricardo has more experience going forward than Gray and would have been a better outlet than Demarai.

We have been very lucky this season with teams creating chances and failing to put them away, so this was not so much a surprise as I thought we were off it against Huddersfield despite the scoreline.

Felt Rodgers kept the team the same to see if they could get to 7th. Hope for some changes, with Hamza coming in alongside Tielemans.Poor performance tonight, they need to address the lack of leadership on the pitch where we lacked composure and footballing nous. I am sure we will be up for the last three games but games like tonight are the ones which gets us over the line to make top 6.