Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Newcastle (H) Post match thread

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It is easy to be critical of the players but it is so hard to get any flowing football going against a team playing that defensively. Every Newcastle game that I've seen this season has been dull and frustrating. 

I make that our 11th defeat in 13 league games on TV this season, by the way. :(

That is shocking.

5 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

It is easy to be critical of the players but it is so hard to get any flowing football going against a team playing that defensively. Every Newcastle game that I've seen this season has been dull and frustrating. 

I make that our 11th defeat in 13 league games on TV this season, by the way:(

Jesus! Is that accurate!?

Was it Taco Thursdays last night in Leicester? We played like the only runs we could manage needed a wipe after.

Granted, it was right that we fired Puel, but he always knew how to make in-game adjustments to get our players in position to flub excellent chances.

Our players were wholly unprepared and looked lost out there. Say what you will about Puel, but we probably break a 3-game losing streak with a comfortable draw this evening if he's at the helm.

It has long been said Rodgers doesn't have the tactical nous to be a top manager. Had hoped he'd developed that at Celtic, but this was witless. He sat and watched his side get destroyed for 70+ minutes as if he couldn't adjust the formation to get any width, or make any other changes to address our struggles on the pitch.  

People can complain about us allegedly not having any wide players, but if our wings and FBs are instructed not to position themselves to get wide or provide support out wide, it is an issue with tactics, not personnel. We did not even try to turn the corner on their defense for 70 minutes, the lack of corners tells the story of our curiously stubborn approach.

But our players sucked too. Vardy has been poor all season, his recent goal scoring is hiding the fact that he needs 4-5 quality looks on goal now to bury one in the net. I know he's the talisman, but FFS we need competition for him this summer, it is just as important as signing Tiels, who gave us a bit of magic today that Vardy couldn't quite handle. 

2 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Puelesque.

Every criticism you could level at a Puel defeat, you could level at our team tonight.

It's only been a month, and the same players are in mostly the same positions.

Why are we acting so gobsmacked that an off night looks the same as it did in February?

• Like 2

It was coming. The inevitable reality check we needed, as much as that winning run was needed too. I'm glad it happened before the season ended and we have a summer to address our underlying faults, then begin next season with a proper Plan B when the going gets tough like it did tonight.

The same story of struggling to break teams down who are more than happy to sit back and hit us on the counter. We got Leicester'd. It was not just a failure on our part, it was also a Rafa Benitez-inspired tactical masterclass by Newcastle United. They closed us down with impressive efficiency and tenacity, and we were given so little time to pick those threatening passes, it stifled us for the duration of the game. It forced us into sloppy passes and turgid football across the pitch that gave us all a haunting reminder of the Puel era, when we all know they are capable of so much more. They deserved the win, no question.

The ability to break teams down is something that must be addressed in the Summer. And I'm sure Brendan Rodgers has that in his notes somewhere. But he has my sympathy, as when you're up against it like tonight and you have a bench like that, you just know that our strength in depth is not good enough. 

Expect there to be some major investment this year as Rodgers looks to set his vision in motion, and players not part of that will be swiftly heading for the exit. The race for 7th took a swift blow to the undercarraige today, it's not over mind you, but it is advantage Wolves and Watford. In the meantime, dust ourselves off, conclude it was not our night in any shape or form, and look to the next game.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, sishades said:

Matty Piper gave MOTM to ....big Wes.

Piper must be on the sauce to come out with that one.  Whilst Ricardo started the car crash, Wes lost his man for their Goal.

Evans back next match please.  Hopefully,   Hamza and Caglar get some game time

now.  Pointless playing Wes.  Need to start building for next season NOW.

• Like 1

Really poor performance against a very ordinary team but no sense in overreacting. Like Rodgers said after the game, it's the first time he's really seen us in a situation where the onus is on us to break down a massed defence. It's been a long-standing issue for us and it's naive to expect him to have suddenly conjured up an answer when in reality he's still getting to know the players and they're still getting to know him. No doubt it's come as a nasty shock to people who got themselves really excited at the thought of an assault on the top 6 because we scored a few goals against Fulham and Huddersfield.

• Like 2

Honestly, I can't imagine any of our fringe players will be arsed about giving any effort anymore. Evans and Soyuncu been very impressive but Maguire comes straight back in and low and behold we have an absolute shocker. I saw someone post on the match thread about how Maguire brings the worst out of the others around him and they are right.

Even when Maguire doesn't necessarily play bad himself, its like the other players around him don't trust him and fill with nerves. I'm not saying Maguire is a bad player but what does it say to the other lads when they can play well and still be dropped for the reputation player the next week?

Another thing, Iheanacho made a number of excellent runs when he came on and looked like no one trusted him and played a nothing ball to Vardy instead. Very disappointing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Shit performance.

You knew exactly what Newcastle were going to do, sit back, be organised and frustrate the fvck out of us. Tonight was a tactical masterclass from Rafa Benitez.

So many bad performers from our side tonight, Chilwell and Ndidi especially were dreadful. 

7th probably gone now :(

Yes, but they hardly parked the bus. They pushed forward hard at every opportunity, we had chances to counter down the sidelines but we didn't take them. We were too narrow, we repeatedly missed passes, often passing yards behind our attacking players to kill our own momentum.

Meanwhile, Newcastle repeatedly dispossessed us by jumping the passing lanes and attacking Ndidi while covering his outlets, and Rodgers did nothing to offset their tactics. We simply beat our heads against their wall the first 70 minutes of the game until we finally became a threat to get wide. 

Staying so narrow was f'ing bizarre. Rodgers needs to answer for that stupidity.