Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

4 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

Perhaps they could add White lives matter also, just to even things up a bit. Probably no room on the shirt though.

2 hours ago, majaco said:

Of course white lives matter but it is not the point.  It is important that feminism exists because there is much misogyny.   Male rights are important too but feminism is a response to male privilege.  Black lives matter is about imbalance.

I am a privileged, white, middle-class male.  I support diversity movements that aim to improve equality.

7FDF130A-DAA7-49F7-8275-98FB6CBC2C9F.jpeg

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Posted this in general chat, but Marcus Rashford doing more for society than any BLM protest. Actions speak louder than words. I'm far from a fan of you on the pitch, Marcus, but well bloody done. Outstanding work. Now this will do more to eradicate racism and horrible things in the world than a hell of a lot more that's happened in the last fortnight. 

Without meaning to derail the topic, are you please able to expand on how providing free meals for vulnerable people is doing more to eradicate racism than worldwide protests? It's an incredible selfless thing that Rashford is doing, but I don't see the relevance to the Black Lives Matter movement at all. Also utterly ridiculous that these people are forced to rely on a footballer for support, but that's another topic for another day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Without meaning to derail the topic, are you please able to expand on how providing free meals for vulnerable people is doing more to eradicate racism than worldwide protests? It's an incredible selfless thing that Rashford is doing, but I don't see the relevance to the Black Lives Matter movement at all. Also utterly ridiculous that these people are forced to rely on a footballer for support, but that's another topic for another day. 

I think the reason is suggesting that is what Marcus has done has been the kind of thing that takes down barriers and builds bridges and trust between communities, this is exactly what we need more of. Quiet decent human action is what will bring us together. Not shouty monument desecration and violence and abuse to the police.

Its impossible to see Marcus as anything other than a good human being here, this is exactly how we should be looking at everyone, over their human qualities. There are some who took part in those protests who are deplorable violent human beings looking for nothing more than a riot, that is why we end up with police officers getting attacked/injured and unrest. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

I think the reason is suggesting that is what Marcus has done has been the kind of thing that takes down barriers and builds bridges and trust between communities, this is exactly what we need more of. Quiet decent human action is what will bring us together. Not shouty monument desecration and violence and abuse to the police.

Its impossible to see Marcus as anything other than a good human being here, this is exactly how we should be looking at everyone, over their human qualities.

But what he's done has absolutely nothing to do with race, he's merely looking after vulnerable people and happens to be black. Ronaldo, one of many white footballers, has done countless charitable acts in the past few years and not once was it described as being positive for race relations. 

I appreciate the sentiment, and I also appreciate this is almost certainly not what the original poster was suggesting, but it sort of suggests that prominent black celebrities should be doing good deeds to curry favour with the general public in order to gain support. 

20 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

But what he's done has absolutely nothing to do with race, he's merely looking after vulnerable people and happens to be black. Ronaldo, one of many white footballers, has done countless charitable acts in the past few years and not once was it described as being positive for race relations. 

I appreciate the sentiment, and I also appreciate this is almost certainly not what the original poster was suggesting, but it sort of suggests that prominent black celebrities should be doing good deeds to curry favour with the general public in order to gain support. 

This is the thing though I am not even talking about race I am talking about people being good people, I could not give a damn about race.This is part of the issue here, people are making something about him being a man of colour, which is completely irrelevant he is just a good man. Why would we talk about Ronaldo in terms of race relations as there is not a need to? he is just a good man. 

People being good people does more for relations of people and communities (irrespective of race relations) than people holding divisive protests mentioning skin colour, that is my point.  Positive experience amongst communities may challenge or prove wrong any negative views (whatever they are) that some people may have for the better. 

That was my perception of what he meant, but I could be wrong. 

But anyway.......Premier League 8 days till city play! 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

This is the thing though I am not even talking about race I am talking about people being good people, I could not give a damn about race.This is part of the issue here, people are making something about him being a man of colour, which is completely irrelevant he is just a good man. Why would we talk about Ronaldo in terms of race relations as there is not a need to? he is just a good man. 

People being good people does more for relations of people and communities (irrespective of race relations) than people holding divisive protests mentioning skin colour, that is my point.  Positive experience amongst communities may challenge or prove wrong any negative views (whatever they are) that some people may have for the better. 

But anyway.......Premier League 8 days till city play! 

I agree, Rashford or whomever else's race shouldn't come in to it and that's why I didn't get the need to make any reference to the BLM movement, which is clearly about race, when discussing his charitable deeds. The majority of those protesting are doing so because they do not believe that they have equality and are, on the whole, enacting their democratic right to peaceful protest, a recognised political movement that has been used for centuries. I'm not sure a nationwide litterpick has the same gravitas when it comes to trying to make systematic change. 

Rashford being a seemingly lovely chap has nothing more or less to do about the BLM movement than Hector Bellerin or Juan Mata being top blokes does. Rashford and co shouldn't have to go out of their way to be good people to change the opinion of some idiots, same as any white footballer shouldn't have to either. One should carry out acts of kindness because it's a nice and honourable thing to do, not to curry favour. 

As I say, I didn't want to derail the topic and I'll save the mindless rambles for general chat.

:scarf:

• Like 1

Listening to build up to the prem restart next week, and I'm tired of hearing journalists say "Team X are in great form, unbeaten in X games" when no one has played since March. Form surely counts for little after a 3 month pause, every team needs to re-find their style and cohesion after the break and will take a few games to do so. 

13 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Marcus Rashford is an extremely impressive young man. And so too is Raheem Sterling. The amount of disgusting racist abuse the latter in particular has received is shameful, but he appears to be emerging ever more dignified and articulate from the experience. 

Agree, 2 of my favourite non LCFC players

When I say favourite I mean least hated :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Wortho said:

Having Black Lives Matter on their shirts??

And they will probably all be forced to take the knee. 

Absolutely disgusting in my opinion.

You have a very weird sense of 'disgusting' in that case. The 2nd part is total conjecture, and thus irrelevant cant.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 3

On 11/06/2020 at 08:41, Aus Fox said:

Terry Connor at Wolves, Darren Moore at WBA, Chris Houghton. 
The list is Not great and I can see why it gets highlighted.

Now days though we have a tough league where we search the world for the best managers, there must be at least 10 different nationalities represented within PL mangers, it’s incredibly hard to get a break - I think Sterling has massively missed the point and selected 4 players to fit his argument.

He could easily have said look at the difference between Scholes, Terry, Cole and Campbell and made the point that other than Lampard - Chelsea legend who they needed more To do with the state of the club and the transfer ban than anything. 
How many England internationals of the last 30 years have managed in the Premier League?

On 11/06/2020 at 09:06, David Guiza said:

Stuart Pearce

Paul Ince

Frank Lampard

Bryan Robson

Gareth Southgate

Alan Shearer

Tony Adams

Glenn Hoddle

Tim Sherwood

Hoddle, and Robson may be pushing it for the past 30 years, but that's off the top of my head. 

I just enjoy quizzes. 

What a glowing list of managerial success lol

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Not great, is it? lol

Lampard has got time on his side and could yet be brilliant, same goes for Southgate. Both are intelligent blokes too which I guess isn't necessarily true for all England internationals/top level footballers in general. 

Robson had a reasonable start from memory, but then ended up managing Thailand and God knows who else. Hoddle is probably the best of the lot and even he never won a trophy domestically and was probably only slightly above par internationally with the squad he had at his disposal. 

The less said about Pearce, Ince, Sherwood Adams, Shearer the better. 

19 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

On 11/06/2020 at 18:06, David Guiza said:

Stuart Pearce

Paul Ince

Frank Lampard

Bryan Robson

Gareth Southgate

Alan Shearer

Tony Adams

Glenn Hoddle

Tim Sherwood

Hoddle, and Robson may be pushing it for the past 30 years, but that's off the top of my head. 

I just enjoy quizzes. 

Follow up question: who was the last England international to win a major trophy as a manager? 

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Follow up question: who was the last England international to win a major trophy as a manager? 

Good question!

I would guess 'Arry, but I don't think he was anywhere near good enough to have played for the national side.

I'd imagine it's somebody fairly low brow who won less than 5 caps? 

Joe Royle?

13 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Good question!

I would guess 'Arry, but I don't think he was anywhere near good enough to have played for the national side.

I'd imagine it's somebody fairly low brow who won less than 5 caps? 

Joe Royle?

Just had a quick google search and as far as English football is concerned it was a 1 cap wonder.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Just had a quick google search and as far as English football is concerned it was a 1 cap wonder.

Had to trawl through domestic cup competition winners and had little :ph34r: idea he played for England, didn't know anything about his play days at all though to be quite honest. Googled it and seems he played for 18 minutes against Wales. I won't ruin it in case anybody is still thinking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Guiza said:

Had to trawl through domestic cup competition winners and had little :ph34r: idea he played for England, didn't know anything about his play days at all though to be quite honest. Googled it and seems he played for 18 minutes against Wales. I won't ruin it in case anybody is still thinking. 

Just to keep it going the last England international with 10 caps or more to win a domestic trophy? 
The answer and year is startling and says there is something wrong with the whole process of preparing and training future managers in England is wrong.

3 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

You have a very weird sense of 'disgusting' in that case. The 2nd part is total conjecture, and thus irrelevant cant.

Wasn't sure if you were calling Wortho an irrelevant cvnt with a London accent there HPF. :ph34r:

I should never have doubted you though. Good use of the English language yet again. :appl:

• Like 1