Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What are you on about? 

If this raises awareness about racism and helps push the message that it won't be tolerated, then it's a great idea. They're having badges thanking the NHS on the front as well. 

There will be so much on the shirts that we will not be able to see what colour it is. I wouldn't mind a message saying Save our statues & history.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

What a joke. Incredible to think that someone may be earning a living for dreaming up things like this.

I suppose when we actually get back to watching a game at the KP we'll have to take the knee for 8 minutes odd before the game starts.

Seriously?

25 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

There will be so much on the shirts that we will not be able to see what colour it is. I wouldn't mind a message saying Save our statues & history.

Where’s our history going? Just because people want to remove statues relating to slavery ... how does that mean history is being lost? The beauty of history is just that ... it’s history and it doesn’t change. But I personally as a white Brit don’t want to be reminded or have slavery celebrated. 

I mean you’ve watched football this season right? How many times have we had reports of racial abuse at football, how many times have we heard it? It’s not ok when Bulgaria fans abused English black players. But it’s ok for the FA et.al to sit and do nothing in your eyes?

Also I am sure you wouldn’t be rolling your eyes if they had some sort of images celebrating the lives of those who have died of the Covid-19. 

Edited by casablancas

28 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

What a joke. Incredible to think that someone may be earning a living for dreaming up things like this.

I suppose when we actually get back to watching a game at the KP we'll have to take the knee for 8 minutes odd before the game starts.

It's getting ridiculous now, I thought it was going to be bad enough every player doing the same celebration. This happened in America, its like a different world over there.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

It's getting ridiculous now, I thought it was going to be bad enough every player doing the same celebration. This happened in America, its like a different world over there.

Racism happens all over the world pal, just because Britain isn't as bad as America, doesn't mean we don't have a long way to go

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Doesnt go far enough, every team should change their names permanently to Black Lives Matter. Anyone who refuses is clearly racist.

Can you elaborate your thoughts behind this statement please? 

Edited by casablancas

24 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Can you elaborate your thoughts behind this statement please? 

Obviously racism is a bigger issue but I think the message from football needs to be proportionate. In anything, I always find that if the gesture is over the top then it runs the risk of devaluing its core purpose. Thats just my opinion.

Maybe a statement of Black Lives Matter at the back of shirts just below the number rather than replacing the names themselves would have been more apt.

Edit - On reflection, I do realise I was probably be a bit shitty in the comment quoted in fairness.

Edited by Nalis

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Obviously racism is a bigger issue but I think the message from football needs to be proportionate. In anything, I always find that if the gesture is over the top then it runs the risk of devaluing its core purpose. Thats just my opinion.

Maybe a statement of Black Lives Matter at the back of shirts just below the number rather than replacing the names themselves would have been more apt.

Every team should play in black, whether home or away :ph34r:

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'd be interested to see the figures on qualified black coaches. I think the bigger issue is encouraging black players to go down the coaching route and then into management. There is probably a lot of players who just don't bother, whether that's because they don't think they will get a chance or they are actively discriminated against. I'd like to hear from current coaches who are in the game who feel they are ignored because they are black, I don't think it helps that Sol Campbell is always rolled out as the example, but maybe that's the point?

Its not something that can be resolved instantly, I do perhaps naively believe its a generational thing and in 10/15 years time we will see more black managers as a reflection of the more diverse football player world we have now. At risk of racial stereotyping, I do think there is element of cultural differences which mean black players are less likely to stay in football when they retire, and follow other passions, whether that be fashion or whatever (probably wrong but just an opinion)

I agree with Sterling, when he said there needs to be more representation within coaching staff, even if it isn't the manager. And most definitely within the FA.

I've often wondered whether it isn't a generational thing?  By that I mean it is only relatively recently, since the birth of the Premier League, that the top flight has become more and more diverse which has also coincided with the huge wealth that players now earn.  The route from player to manager used to be a well trodden path but, if you're a zillionaire, is it worth the agg?  The trend now is for continental managers and less PL players, of any background, are making the journey into management.

The Premier League is now over-represented with black players as a proportion of the population and many retired black (and white) players are going into the comfortable life of punditry instead.

A black manager denied an opportunity because of his race seems ludicrous to me in a world where black players and pundits are so well represented and in a world where clubs would sell their metaphorical grannies to find any advantage they can.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Perhaps they could add White lives matter also, just to even things up a bit. Probably no room on the shirt though.

That has been on the back of everyone’s shirt since Jesus was in goal for Bethlehem Steels FC.....:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Posted this in general chat, but Marcus Rashford doing more for society than any BLM protest. Actions speak louder than words. I'm far from a fan of you on the pitch, Marcus, but well bloody done. Outstanding work. Now this will do more to eradicate racism and horrible things in the world than a hell of a lot more that's happened in the last fortnight. 

Screenshot_20200611-210940_Twitter.jpg

He has done so much during the pandemic. Credit to him, really admire him for it 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Like 3

Marcus Rashford is an extremely impressive young man. And so too is Raheem Sterling. The amount of disgusting racist abuse the latter in particular has received is shameful, but he appears to be emerging ever more dignified and articulate from the experience. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, majaco said:

Of course white lives matter but it is not the point.  It is important that feminism exists because there is much misogyny.   Male rights are important too but feminism is a response to male privilege.  Black lives matter is about imbalance.

I am a privileged, white, middle-class male.  I support diversity movements that aim to improve equality.

This video summed it up for me.   https://www.indy100.com/article/tommy-robinson-racism-akala-racism-bbc-three-watch-video-9560211

46 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

This is completely inappropriate in my opinion. BLM is a political movement (someone posted the manifesto on another thread) Surely the premier league would be in breach of its own rules?

Why can’t they print ‘No to Racism’? 

As is the needless slaughter of an unarmed black man accused of being fraudulent. Good job they don’t look at a few of lcfc high profile signings haha , few frauds in there. 

when it comes to promoting messages via a political medium it becomes murky. Example Starbucks encouraged employees to celebrate lgbqt and show their support. For BLM they posted the ‘correct stuff’ on their twitter supporting their movement. But they sent a further memorandum to its staff basically stating that staff cannot wear anything that promotes the BLM movement. That’s where issues arrive when people pick and choose what movements they support and when it suits them. Racism should be a no no ... for us all and I agree in parts with what you say. However the BLM movement is not just about race. It’s about the continued discrimination of black people and the continued prejudice they face all over the world.  

another example... closer to home. can we as a society really argue it’s right for the police to stop someone without cause because they can? I mean really? Sorry if this comes across as aggressive , it’s just something I am passionate about. 

Ipswich police officers accuse black woman of 'jumping on bandwagon' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-52998661

Edited by casablancas