Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

19 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Weve got more chance of staying in the fight than wolves next year imo, only so far that Wolves model can take you and that ceiling is probably where you are now. You've over achieved this year and the start of this season in particular shown some good chinks in your armour long term 

How have we over achieved when we finished 7th last season, and are guaranteed top 7 this season? One average run at the start of the season when we were getting used to juggling Europa League on top of the league doesn't mean squat really. I could easily say your form since December shows bigger chinks in Leicester's armour. I mean it's easy to pick faults if you pick and choose different moments of the season. 

Our "model" is the same as Man City's was. To win the league. The owners want nothing less and have virtually unlimited funds to do it. It's easy to forget this is only our second season since promotion. It won't happen overnight like the perfect storm you had in 15/16.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Lineker was great, but Vardy with what he’s achieved here is streets ahead. If Lineker wasn’t from Leicester & in the public eye so much he wouldn’t be held in such high regard. 

Yes he wou!d....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Jordan Henderson named Football Writers player of the year. He's been pivotal to the way Liverpool have played this season, but I personally think De Bruyne should maybe have got it instead. 

Shame really but just shows these awards don’t really mean much. We all know that De Bruyne is an absurdly great footballer and will go down as one of the greatest of all time. 

Just now, Torten said:

Shame really but just shows these awards don’t really mean much. We all know that De Bruyne is an absurdly great footballer and will go down as one of the greatest of all time. 

It depends on how they look at it all. Henderson is the cog that gets Liverpool going and helps to make their style work, whereas KDB is the star and orchestrates most of the forward play for Man City.

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

How have we over achieved when we finished 7th last season, and are guaranteed top 7 this season? One average run at the start of the season when we were getting used to juggling Europa League on top of the league doesn't mean squat really. I could easily say your form since December shows bigger chinks in Leicester's armour. I mean it's easy to pick faults if you pick and choose different moments of the season. 

Our "model" is the same as Man City's was. To win the league. The owners want nothing less and have virtually unlimited funds to do it. It's easy to forget this is only our second season since promotion. It won't happen overnight like the perfect storm you had in 15/16.

If needs a bear supporting Wolves to bring some sanity..

Too many entitled prats, cropping up..!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Vardy is a Premier League all time great striker, Jimenez isn’t. 

Need I say anymore? 

Well yeah you need to allow for the fact that Jimenez has only been in the PL for two seasons. 

Vardy is a fantastic striker with pace, movement and a clinical finisher. Jimenez is a very different sort of player who is an all-round striker who links play, is good in the air, and a good finisher. Ideally you'd play them both up top together. 

Edited by The Bear

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Jordan Henderson named Football Writers player of the year. He's been pivotal to the way Liverpool have played this season, but I personally think De Bruyne should maybe have got it instead. 

The top five players in the FWA vote were Henderson, De Bruyne, Marcus Rashford, Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mané, and 10 other players received votes: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Agüero, Adama Traoré, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Jonny Evans.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

It depends on how they look at it all. Henderson is the cog that gets Liverpool going and helps to make their style work, whereas KDB is the star and orchestrates most of the forward play for Man City.

True, Henderson is a massively important player for them whom I rate. But as a midfielder this year, I would argue De Bruynes performances overshadow Henderson’s despite the former’s lack of silverware (so far).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Bear said:

So tired of hearing this. Screams jealousy from similar sized clubs to us, or denial from the bigger clubs.

We won it fair and square - we were streets ahead of everyone else that year.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kushiro said:

The top five players in the FWA vote were Henderson, De Bruyne, Marcus Rashford, Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mané, and 10 other players received votes: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Alisson, Raheem Sterling, Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Sergio Agüero, Adama Traoré, Danny Ings, Jack Grealish, James Maddison and Jonny Evans.

How is the prospective Golden Boot winner not even on that list?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

BT sport running a poll on their Twitter for team of the season. 

The utter disrespect. 

Screenshot_20200724_075809_com.twitter.android_1.thumb.jpg.499d0769c4807205f0bdc281169efa35.jpg

Caglar has been voted in. Evans wasn't even nominated. 

Chilwell, Ndidi, Maddison didn't get enough votes. 

These votes are always skewed by big six clubs because they have the most voters ......

7 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

So tired of hearing this. Screams jealousy from similar sized clubs to us, or denial from the bigger clubs.

We won it fair and square - we were streets ahead of everyone else that year.

You did, and you were fantastic that season and clearly the best team in the league. 

But you can't say the instability of the top teams wasn't at least a factor, otherwise why didn't you challenge for the title the season after?

Like I say it was a perfect storm of a team unexpectedly having the season of their lives, and the big teams not being able to match that. 

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

You did, and you were fantastic that season and clearly the best team in the league. 

But you can't say the instability of the top teams wasn't at least a factor, otherwise why didn't you challenge for the title the season after?

Like I say it was a perfect storm of a team unexpectedly having the season of their lives, and the big teams not being able to match that. 

You could use that argument for any season if a club gatecrashes the top 4/6 or you could say any team that does is better than a top team by design, tactics and endeavour.

Have Man City and Liverpool replaced Man Utd as Champions purely down to Man Utds instability?

Every team that wins the League by any sort of margin could be deemed to have done it because of a perfect storm, when it's a big club they don't call it that though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shailen said:

Schwazer saying in SSN in 2016, Chilwell could have left for Chelsea but knew he had more chance to establish himself here. Looks like he's always wanted to go. 

... or it looks like Chelsea wanted him but he didn't want to go?

30 minutes ago, kushiro said:

This shows how Little the Football Writers actually watch. Rashford was poor in the first half of the season and while improving, still has a lot of work to do to be elite, though recently I have begun to see the hype and think he could be top draw in the next couple of seasons.

Wan Bissaka wouldn’t even be in the top 3 right backs this season, let alone a player of the year candidate.

Alison would be behind Pope and Henderson for goalkeeper of the year and Augero’s been injured for half the season.

Nothing about Ricardo, Vardy, Ndidi, Traore.

Id even say on the whole Mahrez has been better than Sterling this season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

How do you get from he had the chance to leave but didn’t, to looks like he’s always wanted to go?

The way schwazer implied it was as though he wanted to go but knew he wouldn't really progress himself there and had more chance here to prove himself. Obviously I don't know the full story but it definitely sounded like the fact that he was considering it hugely back then. 

20 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

How do you get from he had the chance to leave but didn’t, to looks like he’s always wanted to go?

"He chose not to go. Must have really wanted to go!"

Edited by Guest

14 hours ago, filbertway said:

Id go Jimenez as well, he scores a fair few for a player that plays in one of the most boring teams the league has seen.

Vardy is lucky here that he gets to play every single minute of every game. He can play terribly for 2 months and never be in danger of being dropped.

Not many strikers will play as many minutes as Vardy in a season. 

Honestly some people make him out to be this irreplaceable world class striker. Hes a good quality premier league striker, with good pace, who rarely gets injured and never gets dropped (unless the manager wants to be sacked)

He's better than a lot of strikers in this league, but in my opinion people generally overate him on here.

You've had a howler here son

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

This shows how Little the Football Writers actually watch. Rashford was poor in the first half of the season and while improving, still has a lot of work to do to be elite, though recently I have begun to see the hype and think he could be top draw in the next couple of seasons.

Wan Bissaka wouldn’t even be in the top 3 right backs this season, let alone a player of the year candidate.

Alison would be behind Pope and Henderson for goalkeeper of the year and Augero’s been injured for half the season.

Nothing about Ricardo, Vardy, Ndidi, Traore.

Id even say on the whole Mahrez has been better than Sterling this season.

Rashford wasn't poor in the first half of the season, he was pretty much the only forward thinking Man Utd player that was any good and then he got injured and ruled out for several months. Since the restart and he's been back fit, he's not been as good as Martial, Greenwood or Fernandes but can't fault his display up to Christmas given they were garbage a lot of the time as a whole.

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

That's the problem with season votes. Stuff that's fresh in people's memory tends to dominate much more than stuff that happened last Aug-Dec. 

Agree with this, it really should be the who’s been good since the end of February awards!