Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Everton are weird, it doesn't look like there's actually much quality in their squad apart from Richarlison and Sigurdsson. Definitely greater than the sum of their parts

I think among the chasing pack, teams like Everton, West Ham and Leicester, they all have obvious strengths and equally, areas where they are weak.

West Ham and Everton in the striking position, although West Ham may well have rectified that with the purchase of Haller, hard to say until we see him in action. Leicester on the other hand look weaker than both clubs in the wide positions.

It may well be the case that whoever does the best business in the transfer market in the next few weeks will be the side who pulls away this season and threatens the sides above them.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I think among the chasing pack, teams like Everton, West Ham and Leicester, they all have obvious strengths and equally, areas where they are weak.

West Ham and Everton in the striking position, although West Ham may well have rectified that with the purchase of Haller, hard to say until we see him in action. Leicester on the other hand look weaker than both clubs in the wide positions.

It may well be the case that whoever does the best business in the transfer market in the next few weeks will be the side who pulls away this season and threatens the sides above them.

Big season for Clavert Lewin. He looks better every time I see him.

Maybe he'll surprise us and keep them mid-table? 

Against him is the loss of Rondon and Perez and the number of goals they produced.

The fact Ashley doesn't want to pump money in means they may struggle to get recruits in, with Dwight Gayle looking like their main striker. 

It's a poisoned chalice. 

1 hour ago, Papasmurf said:

Digne? Gomes? Gueye? Bernard?

Digne is the only one of those I personally rate, and even then I'm basing that off MOTD highlights, since he didn't do much when they were down here last year. Toffee fans say he's powder-puff. Bernard is okay I guess?

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Down to the Championship they go

The debacle at St. James' Park would be funny if it weren't so unfair on their long-suffering fans. I have this weird internal conflict nowadays with the Toon - I kind of want them to overperform and do well for the sake of the fanbase and the players themselves - it's neither of their faults the club is so abysmally run after all. But at the same time I don't, because it would make Ashley and the rest of the vampires on the board feel their actions are justified. I get the feeling a full-blown collapse in form and league position is what will have to happen before they finally clear out and leave NUFC to somebody who sees the potential there.

Every day the pantomime there rolls on, I'm reminded just how lucky we are to have the owners we do.

10 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Digne is the only one of those I personally rate, and even then I'm basing that off MOTD highlights, since he didn't do much when they were down here last year. Toffee fans say he's powder-puff. Bernard is okay I guess?

The debacle at St. James' Park would be funny if it weren't so unfair on their long-suffering fans. I have this weird internal conflict nowadays with the Toon - I kind of want them to overperform and do well for the sake of the fanbase and the players themselves - it's neither of their faults the club is so abysmally run after all. But at the same time I don't, because it would make Ashley and the rest of the vampires on the board feel their actions are justified. I get the feeling a full-blown collapse in form and league position is what will have to happen before they finally clear out and leave NUFC to somebody who sees the potential there.

Every day the pantomime there rolls on, I'm reminded just how lucky we are to have the owners we do.

Gomes had a very good season for them last season, classy midfield player.

Guest MattP
17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Maybe he'll surprise us and keep them mid-table? 

Against him is the loss of Rondon and Perez and the number of goals they produced.

The fact Ashley doesn't want to pump money in means they may struggle to get recruits in, with Dwight Gayle looking like their main striker. 

It's a poisoned chalice. 

There are 5 or 6 teams that are totally shit - any of them could go down or stay up and I think Ashley knows that.

Just now, pmcla26 said:

He is classy and his technical ability is great, but his lack of goals and assists is the difference between him being a £20 million midfielder and Youri Tielemans being £40 million. 

He's a different player from Tielemans, played a lot deeper for Everton last season than Tielemans did for Leicester so your not expecting a lot of goals or assists out of him, he's more a playmaker, like comparing apples and oranges really.  

1 minute ago, Goober said:

West Ham don’t worry me at this point. Mercenary FC. 

I'm not so sure I'd be so dismissive of West Ham tbh, they finished level on points with you guys last season and have done some very good business so far, plus they have a manager that knows the league inside out.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Hmm I suppose, but if you’re going to have two playmakers in your team out of the pairing of Gomes/Sigurddson and Maddison/Tielemans, I’d say our pairing is stronger and has a higher ceiling (although obvious bias can probs be weighed in here - just don’t think Gomes is effective as much on the pitch as he is on the eye) 

Yeah not disagreeing with that, I'd much rather the Leicester pair, just highlighting Gomes is a very good player who also had a very good season last year, £22m for him looks to be shrewd business.

4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I'm not so sure I'd be so dismissive of West Ham tbh, they finished level on points with you guys last season and have done some very good business so far, plus they have a manager that knows the league inside out.

Comparing where sides finished in relation to us last season is pointless tbh considering we had Puel for 3 quarters of it. They might do well, they’ve got some decent players, but they never seem to gel and seem a perpetual shambles.

5 minutes ago, Goober said:

Comparing where sides finished in relation to us last season is pointless tbh considering we had Puel for 3 quarters of it. They might do well, they’ve got some decent players, but they never seem to gel and seem a perpetual shambles.

My point is they weren't a perpetual shambles last season, finished on the same points and seem to have smartly strengthened this summer even further.

I get Rodgers is a far better manager than Puel but it's dangerous to count your chickens and dismiss any sides like West Ham, Everton or Wolves for that matter, all these sides will have exactly the same aspirations as Leicester this season and will be equally as dangerous.

Puel for all his faults presided over a mini-run where you beat most of the top teams in the league, will be hard to replicate that this season so those points will need to come from somewhere else.  I think you'll do much better under Rodgers but you need to be careful in terms of tempering expectations or people will majorly overreact at the first sign of things not going in a linear upward curve.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

I do thing we should be cautiously optimistic. There are just so many unknown / random factors this season.

Wolves, Everton and West Ham can all make a good case for top 8. Then you have a Man U and Arsenal in free fall but with still enough firepower to do well. 

Chelsea are a complete unknown at this point and could finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. 

Either way - Liverpool and Man City must be looking at the league and wondering where the next challenge will come from. 

Wolves v Newcastle on Sky just now. Premier League Asia Trophy. 

Laura Woods has just said -  "We understand Steve Bruce was 11th choice". Lol. 

Oh and their team... I know it's pre-season, but still. We're playing our strongest available XI. 

IMG_20190717_105434.jpg

Edited by The Bear

29 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah not disagreeing with that, I'd much rather the Leicester pair, just highlighting Gomes is a very good player who also had a very good season last year, £22m for him looks to be shrewd business.

With them now having Delph and Gueye's dream move to PSG no closer, I think Gomes will play further forward and it'll be interesting to see if he is more creative. Classy player.

• Like 1