Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

£45 m for a fella whose scored 13 and 9 in two Bundesliga seasons. Franfkurt played a blinder. 

To give that context Shinji scored 15 and 12 in his last two Bundesliga seasons with Mainz. For a crisp £7 million

Firmino with 16 and 7 in his last two Bundesliga seasons....£29 million. 

I believe he was injured a fair bit last season as well. Plus, they spent so much energy in the Europa League that some of their performances in the Bundesliga were mediocre.

Very good signing for West Ham, proven goalscorer who can give them the edge they need, especially now Arnautovic has departed.

43 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Great financial deal for Frankfurt, hope they invest wisely up front - coupled with the departure of Jovic to Real, they now have serious dough to spend.

Need a new partner for Rebic now.

Agreed, but they have now lost their goals in the team and need to be clever. However, Fredi Bobic and Adi Hutter are well equipped to make good decisions.

I know a few have said it but I'm a bit uncomfortable with how much we're being tipped to be the side to break into the top 6.

There isn't much to suggest we have a major advantage over teams like Everton, Wolves and West Ham imo.

Fornals and Haller (if the deal does complete) are very good signings for West Ham, and mark a change from signing established names on the wane. They also have a very good manager.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Anderson-Haller-Yarmolenko is better than Barnes-Vardy-Perez by a fair amount imo. Fabianski > Schmeichel, Diop-Balbuena is also probably a bit better than Soyuncu/Benkovic-Evans... their midfield isn't shabby either, although there we have a definite edge. Thankfully half their team is injury prone and their fullbacks are awful. 

Guest MattP
40 minutes ago, martyn said:

I know a few have said it but I'm a bit uncomfortable with how much we're being tipped to be the side to break into the top 6.

There isn't much to suggest we have a major advantage over teams like Everton, Wolves and West Ham imo.

Same here, our first eleven looks the business but for top 6 you need outrageous squad depth, one injury to Tielemans or Vardy for any substantial time and we are back to playing Gray up front/Iheanacho and having Mendy back in.

People are getting a bit carried away.

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Villa have signed some right shite haven't they lol

This year's Fulham if they carry on like this.

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Under normal circumstances I'd agree but for me, a big part of thinking we'll be pushing for 4th to 7th isn't purely based on our own strength but also the decline of the teams above us. 

There's not a big six this season, there's not even a top four. 

There's a two, a one and then a six. 

Man City and Liverpool will be first and second again, Spurs will be third, but after that there's a six team mini league that could go any way. We've got a stronger squad than United, Chelsea and Arsenal currently - none of whom really have a complete 11 let alone depth. 

Everton are a quality striker away from being a very, very good team that are going about their business nicely under the radar and Wolves only really need to consolidate. 

We're by no means guaranteed to finish top six but I don't think it's getting carried away to say we're right in the mix IMO. 

I think you guys are in with a great chance of breaking the top 6 this season and as much as you have an exciting you squad I think that statement is really getting ahead of yourselves.  As poor as the aforementioned teams are in relation to great sides they had in the past they still have much greater depth than Leicester at present, a large part of the problem for these clubs is that they currently, for whatever reason can't seem to get the best out of the players at their disposal in terms of a cohesive starting XI.

The clubs mentioned can bring guys like Martial, Mata, Willian, Kovacic, Lacazette and Guendouzzi off the bench.  Leicester's similar alternatives are guys like Gray, Albrighton, and Mendy.  Still a fair bit behind these teams on paper in terms of depth, that doesn't mean though that with a bit of luck you can't finish ahead of any of these teams this season.  One thing going for Leicester ahead of these clubs is stability and a current upward trajectory which can count for a lot.

Edited by henrik_62

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Under normal circumstances I'd agree but for me, a big part of thinking we'll be pushing for 4th to 7th isn't purely based on our own strength but also the decline of the teams above us. 

There's not a big six this season, there's not even a top four. 

There's a two, a one and then a six. 

Man City and Liverpool will be first and second again, Spurs will be third, but after that there's a six team mini league that could go any way. We've got a stronger squad than United, Chelsea and Arsenal currently - none of whom really have a complete 11 let alone depth. 

Everton are a quality striker away from being a very, very good team that are going about their business nicely under the radar and Wolves only really need to consolidate. 

We're by no means guaranteed to finish top six but I don't think it's getting carried away to say we're right in the mix IMO. 

I wouldn't rule us out of finishing 4th if everything clicked but it's still an incredibly tough ask.

Sixth is possible as I think it's likely one of Man Utd, Arsenal or Chelsea will collapse this season - but it's asking an awful lot for us to be better than all three of those teams after a 38 game season but if we are we'll also be ahead of Everton, West Ham and Wolves.

I can't agree we've got a stronger squad than the teams you mention yet, we still can't bring players like Pedro, Ozil, Torriera, Willian, Mata and Giroud off the bench.

1 hour ago, OntarioFox said:

True, but it's the psyche of their fanbase that pervades. I think there are few more negative fanbases in English football, with the obvious and understandable exceptions of Newcastle, Blackpool and Coventry. West Ham don't really have the excuse to be as down on themselves as they have been since moving to the London Stadium, as soulless as the place is, especially as results have finally picked up after a settling-in period.

I always had it down as a delusion of grandeur rather than any genuine gripe, since they have consistently finished mid-table for 6-7 years now except for one Payet-fuelled 7th place. Granted, there's been a hangover here since the title win, but I don't think anybody in our fanbase could claim with a straight face that our club has "had its soul ripped out" or caused regular police trouble because of a bit of dull football or underwhelming finishes.

So we'll see how it pans out. On paper they're looking a decent bet, but if there was one "tipped" team I would expect to underwhelm, it would be the Hammers, because they have history of doing so, egged on an air of negativity around the club seemingly affecting results.

.....but what about The West Ham Way.

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Hmmm in what way? 

All about personal opinions but I'd say Anderson is better than any option Leicester have out wide at the moment and Vardy is better than any option West Ham have at centre forward (including Haller if they get him).

Yarmalenko and Perez are debatable and the proof will be in the pudding this season, Yarmalenko hasn't really got going at West Ham yet as good as a player as he is and Perez still has to prove himself at Leicester.

2 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

All about personal opinions but I'd say Anderson is better than any option Leicester have out wide at the moment and Vardy is better than any option West Ham have at centre forward (including Haller if they get him).

Yarmalenko and Perez are debatable and the proof will be in the pudding this season, Yarmalenko hasn't really got going at West Ham yet as good as a player as he is and Perez still has to prove himself at Leicester.

Yarmalenko and Haller have no/little experience of PL football, that’s more my point. Anderson whilst scoring nine has scored 1 since December. 4 assists from him is pretty lousy

I dont know how you can deemed them better when they could still be flops (of Yarm currently is) 

@MattP @henrik_62

Strength in depth is nice but it's not really worth a lot to have a bench stronger than ours if your starting eleven is pump. 

I wrote a pretty massive post about those three clubs the other day and I can't be arsed repeating all from scratch but the general jist was:

Chelsea - solid defence, best defensive mid in the world, zero creativity, zero goal threat. Willian, Pedro and Giroud aren't getting anyone in to the Champions League and they can't buy new. 

Arsenal - two superb strikers. A mid table midfield (being generous) and a relegation fodder back four. Honestly the worst defence in the top half, there hasn't been an Arsenal defence that bad in my lifetime. They have no money. 

Man Utd - a flat track bully striker that's hugely over weight and looks like he's leaving, a lazy prima Donna midfielder who probably also leaves. DDG and Rashford the only two that get in our starting lineup. They need considerable rebuild at full back, centre back, centre mid, on the wing and up front. They have the worst record of spending in the top half. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yarmalenko and Haller have no/little experience of PL football, that’s more my point. Anderson whilst scoring nine has scored 1 since December. 4 assists from him is pretty lousy

I dont know how you can deemed them better when they could still be flops (of Yarm currently is) 

The only one I said that was conclusively better is Anderson.  However you want to spin it he is most certainly better than any of Leicester's wide options at present, in the same way Vardy is obviously better than any of West Ham's striking options.

• Like 1

Just now, Finnegan said:

I'll bet you a £20 donation to Foxestalk that our three score more combined than their three this year. 

It won't even be close tbqh. 

I don't bet, but I wouldn't be surprised considering what a beast Vardy is. However Haller is very very good. I think he could be the key to unlocking Yarmolenko and Anderson.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

@MattP @henrik_62

Strength in depth is nice but it's not really worth a lot to have a bench stronger than ours if your starting eleven is pump. 

I wrote a pretty massive post about those three clubs the other day and I can't be arsed repeating all from scratch but the general jist was:

Chelsea - solid defence, best defensive mid in the world, zero creativity, zero goal threat. Willian, Pedro and Giroud aren't getting anyone in to the Champions League and they can't buy new. 

Arsenal - two superb strikers. A mid table midfield (being generous) and a relegation fodder back four. Honestly the worst defence in the top half, there hasn't been an Arsenal defence that bad in my lifetime. They have no money. 

Man Utd - a flat track bully striker that's hugely over weight and looks like he's leaving, a lazy prima Donna midfielder who probably also leaves. DDG and Rashford the only two that get in our starting lineup. They need considerable rebuild at full back, centre back, centre mid, on the wing and up front. They have the worst record of spending in the top half. 

Not disagreeing with any of what you say but i'm sticking to my point, as dysfunctional as these clubs are at a present they are still on the whole, on paper anyway stronger than Leicester in terms of squad depth.

IMO DDG, Pogba (as overrated as he is), Rashford, Martial, Mata all get in your side comfortably.

Mata is done at the top level. Can’t run anymore and he’s too weak. Rashford’s highest league tallies are 10, 7 and 5 lol. Martial’s great when he can be arsed which is basically never. Pogba’s a c unt but he’s an outstanding footballer and I can’t understand why so many people think he’s overrated. I’d take DDG and Pogba in our starting XI but that’s it.

You only have to see the amount of their fans that would swap most of our players for theirs. OGS is the glacier Craig Shakespeare too.

They’ve lost their most consistent CM in Herrera, Valencia (needed to go though tbf), Lukaku will be going and the least committed midfielder in the world really wants to go now too.  

Daniel Janes is a huge talent but he got 4 goals and 7 assists in the championship last season, hardly setting the work alight. AWB is good defensively but offers little going forwards. Basically the dribbling Danny Simpson.

This is a squad where Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Scott McTominay got significant playing time last season 

:cap:

• Like 1

Few folk on here are going to be seriously disappointed in a few months time. Some really delusional stuff being spouted.

Hope for top 10 and a proper go at the cups and be pleased if we get at least one.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Mata is done at the top level. Can’t run anymore and he’s too weak. Rashford’s highest league tallies are 10, 7 and 5 lol. Martial’s great when he can be arsed which is basically never. Pogba’s a c unt but he’s an outstanding footballer and I can’t understand why so many people think he’s overrated. I’d take DDG and Pogba in our starting XI but that’s it.

You only have to see the amount of their fans that would swap most of our players for theirs. OGS is the glacier Craig Shakespeare too.

They’ve lost their most consistent CM in Herrera, Valencia (needed to go though tbf), Lukaku will be going and the least committed midfielder in the world really wants to go now too.  

Daniel Janes is a huge talent but he got 4 goals and 7 assists in the championship last season, hardly setting the work alight. AWB is good defensively but offers little going forwards. Basically the dribbling Danny Simpson.

This is a squad where Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Scott McTominay got significant playing time last season 

:cap:

Mata I'll give you but come on, your not having Rashford or Martial in your starting XI? Ahead of folk like Gray and Albrighton?  If you signed either of those two tomorrow this place would be in raptures.

Edited by henrik_62

40 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Not disagreeing with any of what you say but i'm sticking to my point, as dysfunctional as these clubs are at a present they are still on the whole, on paper anyway stronger than Leicester in terms of squad depth.

IMO DDG, Pogba (as overrated as he is), Rashford, Martial, Mata all get in your side comfortably.

But you say 4 of Man Utd get straight in our side and 7 gets in theirs? I don’t think you are saying that but our collectiveness will be greater ( no Sanchez on 500k a week etc ) so the collective of the whole is greater than the parts. That’s what won us the league