Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Tottenham have named their squad for the pre-season tour of Asia and there are some notable omissions.

Danny Rose and Kieran Trippier are both absent as they look to secure moves away from the club.

Vincent Janssen and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou will also not travel to Singapore to allow the possibility of landing a move away from north London.

Christian Eriksen and Toby Alderweireld are on the plane to Singapore, where Tottenham will face Juventus on July 21 in the International Champions Cup before moving on to Shanghai to play Premier League rivals Manchester United.

Getting a bit worried by West Ham! It's really hard for any manager to turn things around in a short space of time. Even Guardiola and Klopp had distinctly average seasons in the first year here. Pellegrini is a good manager that has won the league before and in players like Diop, Felipe Anderson, Fornals and Haller there are definitely some real talents there alongside players already there like Rice. Felipe Anderson is awesome and I really feel the Mahrez money should have gone on him.

When we won the title in 2016, West Ham finished 6th. They are capable of having a good season. My question around them is more their style of play which seems more old fashioned than some of the more progressive teams in the league. I don't think they are that good at knocking it around for example.

Regardless, it should make for a really competitive league this year. I hope that one team at least breaks the top 6 and whilst I obviously hope it's us as long as someone does, that will be good for the league. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

Haller is very good. 15 goals and 9 assists in 20ish starts is not to be sniffed at at all. My only hope is that in Frankfurt he was supported by two incredible forwards in Jovic and Rebic in a unique system. He could potentially fail to adapt to the quite different West Ham side - a lot of his goals last season were poached from the spillover from attempts by Rebic or Jovic.

Yet to be convinced over West Ham’s ‘big’ signings. Tielemans/Perez v Fornals/Haller. I’d take our 2 every day of the week. Although, Pellegrini is no mug and expect them to come on leaps and bounds to where they have been finishing in recent seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Getting a bit worried by West Ham! It's really hard for any manager to turn things around in a short space of time. Even Guardiola and Klopp had distinctly average seasons in the first year here. Pellegrini is a good manager that has won the league before and in players like Diop, Felipe Anderson, Fornals and Haller there are definitely some real talents there alongside players already there like Rice. Felipe Anderson is awesome and I really feel the Mahrez money should have gone on him.

When we won the title in 2016, West Ham finished 6th. They are capable of having a good season. My question around them is more their style of play which seems more old fashioned than some of the more progressive teams in the league. I don't think they are that good at knocking it around for example.

Regardless, it should make for a really competitive league this year. I hope that one team at least breaks the top 6 and whilst I obviously hope it's us as long as someone does, that will be good for the league. 

They were a very hit and miss side last season, they have numerous talents in their squad but they were also very hit and miss especially Felipe Anderson.

Even though they've signed Haller they still need more attacking reinforcements, Arnautovic, Perez and Carroll all gone. Their attacking signings will determine whether they challenge the top six or not. They could do with some new full-backs too.

Right now I think ourselves and West Ham have the best chance of challenging the top six though, now it's over to Everton and Wolves to show the same ambition.

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Yet to be convinced over West Ham’s ‘big’ signings. Tielemans/Perez v Fornals/Haller. I’d take our 2 every day of the week. Although, Pellegrini is no mug and expect them to come on leaps and bounds to where they have been finishing in recent seasons.

West Ham have gone for Unknowns when it especially when it comes to the PL, it can either work brilliantly or totally go wrong. We know what we are getting with tielemans and Perez, some I’m very pleased with our business while with West Ham it is difficult to say. 

36 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

West Ham have gone for Unknowns when it especially when it comes to the PL, it can either work brilliantly or totally go wrong. We know what we are getting with tielemans and Perez, some I’m very pleased with our business while with West Ham it is difficult to say. 

Yep. I genuinely do think that Haller is a good player AND I know you can’t get players for peanuts these days, but 45m for him does seem quite steep, wasn’t he 3rd choice striker there last season behind the two Croatian boys? West Ham do seem to mean business though. Hope they do an Everton of last season + season before, rather than a Wolves.

Edited by TJB-fox

There's not going to be much in it between us, Wolves, Everton and West Ham. Wolves issues will be the sheer amount of games should they do well in the Europa and could hinder them in the Prem. But any of us 4 could make a right go at the top 6, it has got to be the most fascinating upcoming season for as long as I can remember. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Walkers said:

There may be something in the kits thread

Or the Championship thread...........

Didn’t realise there was one but I’ve Just been directed to the kits thread in general chat 

14 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Hilariously true - plenty on it in the kits thread. In trouble with the FA over it as well ?

That was the whole intention of the marketing campaign. No such thing as bad publicity for that lot...

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There's not going to be much in it between us, Wolves, Everton and West Ham. Wolves issues will be the sheer amount of games should they do well in the Europa and could hinder them in the Prem. But any of us 4 could make a right go at the top 6, it has got to be the most fascinating upcoming season for as long as I can remember. 

Totally agree, and I wouldn’t rule Watford out either. Going to be incredibly competitive and fascinating as you say. 

14 minutes ago, brucey said:

That was the whole intention of the marketing campaign. No such thing as bad publicity for that lot...

Not for Paddy Power but Huddersfield come out of it looking pretty stupid, especially playing in it tonight and putting it on sale. Got to be the worst kit of all time 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

As far as derbies go, does it get any bigger than Minnesota United vs Aston Villa?

The Hosers/Losers derby?  #85 v #331 in the fivethirtyeight club rankings.  To be contested again in another 50 or 75 years no doubt.

And I actually found a stream and am taking a look.  I wish I could blame you.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The Hosers/Losers derby?  #85 v #331 in the fivethirtyeight club rankings.  To be contested again in another 50 or 75 years no doubt.

And I actually found a stream and am taking a look.  I wish I could blame you.

Just killing time before the Arsenal/Bayern match.

• Like 1