Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Leicester City champions mural could be painted over - but it won't be the end of the fairy tale

Shame they're going to move it. I use to go and see it every few days when the artist was painting it. Lovely guy, glad to hear he's become a full time artist. Also a great touch adding Vichai to the new one, wherever it is. 

I love the incongruous setting of the mural, something so glorious hidden away behind an anonymous row of shops that somehow survived the redevelopment of King Richards Road when I was young. I love that you can get close to it. It's something for the fans, not corporate. I grew up in the Dannett Street area, so it brings back memories of my dad; he'd have been thrilled to see us lift the title. I'd be disappointed in a way to see it reproduced in another part of the city, but if that's what it takes to survive as a fans' tribute to that team and that incredible season then so be it.

• Like 3

This just seems like a loss to the community. Another facet in the erosion of working class links with football. I live on Kate Street, an area of the city with its fair share of problems. It's been great to have the mural here and see for myself on a daily basis genuine supporters come down and take their photos alongside their heroes. I think there has been only one incidence of vandalism to the wall since it was created. It's a source of immense pride for an awful lot of people around here, it will be a real sad day when it gets pulled down and Kate Street loses a little bit of sparkle.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

It would be great if it could be recreated at the stadium. Perhaps on a curved semi-circle wall, with the statue of Vichai standing tall in the middle. In my head it would look incredible!

I know what your saying but wouldn’t it be better standing high and proud with Vichai in a prominent road into the city with little old Leicester’s achievements there for visitors and residents alike because this will never ever be forgotten 

2 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

I know what your saying but wouldn’t it be better standing high and proud with Vichai in a prominent road into the city with little old Leicester’s achievements there for visitors and residents alike because this will never ever be forgotten 

Of course it would but... the cynic will say that any recreation will probably never happen once the red tape bureaucracy goes into full swing.

I despair, I really do.

Just to add I went down the front where I live in Spain last week and a random Spanish OAP was wearing the shirt front fearless foxes . On the back the date  and match against Man utd In 2016. ( think the 1-1 draw ) I said that’s my team he said mines Real Madrid ?

On 02/05/2019 at 15:40, mucfox said:

I'm very happy to have visited this beautiful mural with all the heroes of 2016 in Kate Street. Imo, the best location for a move of the wall or for a new mural by Richard Wilson would be on the ground of the KP stadium, where perhaps a statue of Vichai will stand soon...

LEI_039.jpg.2dd058bb0b3611de60dc2f46fab7d58e.jpg

Riyad looks like he's got a lazy eye in the old murial. I have my doubts whether the new one will be done anytime soon, unless Soulsby's face is also added. Crying shame this has gone. 

Edited by sm1

the original is always simply that.  any re creation will never be the original. such a shame.  i imagine the redevelopment will involve the destruction of the wall anyway. i wonder if it would have been possible to remove it anyway, looking at the construction. shame but you cant blame marks or the developer. (unless the option of removal wasn't explored in detail or in conjunction with the club) 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

When's a player statue going to be built at the stadium, or is that plan now dismissed as well?

Presumably going to be tied in with the work on the stadium expansion/fan zone. Think it was mentioned that after the helicopter crash that the plans would be reworked to include a memorial to Vichai (and others) so it'd make sense if any other player statues were built into the plans as well, like a major commemorative statue of the title winners perhaps.

Thought had read somewhere that a sculptor has been commissioned by the club/council to construct one, not too long after the helicopter tradegy (to be in line with remembering Vichai and the club's success under him)?

https://www.lcfc.com/news/903495/statue-for-khun-vichai-vice-chairman-confirms-permanent-tribute/press-release

Apparently it can take a very long while to get a statue made and ready to be on display - so perhaps the statue isn't too far away from being completely finished?

Edit: Just found a link relating the matter - am quite correct in the above assumption.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
Link attached.