Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Thai Monarch

I'm sure people think about the borderline dictatorship when they book holidays there lol

It is a bit odd but i understand given their royal status and connections to the monarchy its more of a respect thing which i can understand. A bit over done but at the end of the day our owners arent British and will come woth their own cultural ways and ideas. 

No harm done. Would you rather have a personal visit from prince charles ugly mug instead? lol

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Because the current situation in Thailand isn’t pretty. Media is censored, elections are considered rigged (there wasn’t a democratic election for 8 years) and you are not allowed to criticise the monarchy in any way. 

It’s not pretty. I don’t want my club being used as a vehicle for this. 

I presume you must oppose our ownership then? It doesn't seem to bother people that we are building a £100m training ground as a result of directly benefitting from people taking advantage of uncomfortable political situations and cosying up to some of the people responsible so I've no idea why a message on a screen gets people's backs up. Well I do because it's a lot easier than taking an actual stand against the whole thing. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I presume you must oppose our ownership then? It doesn't seem to bother people that we are building a £100m training ground as a result of directly benefitting from people taking advantage of uncomfortable political situations and cosying up to some of the people responsible so I've no idea why a message on a screen gets people's backs up. Well I do because it's a lot easier than taking an actual stand against the whole thing. 

I have said I don’t want my club being used as a political vehicle.

The owners in my opinion have had the balance spot on when it comes to this matter since their ownership. It’s a personal matter from them. Don’t make this matter for numerous football fans what make up this great club 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Not at all comfortable with it, the political situation in Thailand isn't a comfortable one - a few years ago now but here's an illustration of the regime https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/15/thai-man-faces-jail-insulting-kings-dog-sarcastic-internet-post

I get why it's important for the owners and therefore the club, but it's not something I would ever actively support and applaud like many did yesterday. Even aside from the questionable morals and ethics I wouldn't engage for the same reasons that I didn't stand for the national anthem when watching a baseball game in the US. 

48 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Just clarify the reason it doesn’t hold particularly well is that the current political situation in Thailand is very, very merky. Bordering dictatorship 

A bit like the UK then........ now Farage has been re-activated? 

Our owners had a close relationship with the previous king and hopefully the new one too and no one seems to have had a problem with Thai money thus far.

If our owners want to show their respect then we should respect that. 

Anyway, who cares if it is  a 'borderline dictatorship'?  Loads of countries are and we shouldn't be so arrogant as to presume we have the one and only system that works.  If we had a dictatorship we'd actually be able to get things done.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I have said I don’t want my club being used as a political vehicle.

The owners in my opinion have had the balance spot on when it comes to this matter since their ownership. It’s a personal matter from them. Don’t make this matter for numerous football fans what make up this great club 

You said the reason being the political situation in Thailand being 'very, very merky' rather than just the club being involved in politics. It just seemed strange that you'll happily lap up the benefits of money obtained by consistently taking advantage of dodgy Thai political situations but are triggered by a message on the screen and advertising hoardings about the coronation of the new King.

20 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You said the reason being the political situation in Thailand being 'very, very merky' rather than just the club being involved in politics. It just seemed strange that you'll happily lap up the benefits of money obtained by consistently taking advantage of dodgy Thai political situations but are triggered by a message on the screen and advertising hoardings about the coronation of the new King.

Well my first comment on the matter was that politics and football shouldn't mix - in some scenarios that will happen regardless. My conscience would be more clearer if the political view of the club was aligned to a democracy as opposed to a regime which has helped maintain marshal law for numerous years. 

I have my concerns from the very beginning on the political link of King Power and the Thai government. Can't remember if I was posting here at the time. We are all morally corrupt when it comes this scenario - a lot of the things we consume on a daily basis is often the result of a government taking advantage of a scenario. In fact there's a fair few on hypocritical in the criticism of say Manchester City but happy to support what we have. 

Ultimately, its never sat well on my conscience. However I have very little control over who owns my football club. What I can stand up against is when the club makes such public displays. Simply on the first principle alone of 'politics and football shouldn't mix'. Could you imagine the uproar at say Roma or Venezia if their owner screened the support of an American presidency candidate on their screens? 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

Anyway, who cares if it is  a 'borderline dictatorship'?  Loads of countries are and we shouldn't be so arrogant as to presume we have the one and only system that works.  If we had a dictatorship we'd actually be able to get things done.

When people are being prisoned because free speech is stamped out, I think it's fair to say I can dismiss this system. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

55 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Not really fussed, our owners are respectful of our culture so we should be respectful of theirs.

Absolutely. Also I imagine that this sort of display plays well to the crowd in Thailand . They have more than earned the right to utilise their relationship with the club

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Absolutely. Also I imagine that this sort of display plays well to the crowd in Thailand . They have more than earned the right to utilise their relationship with the club

So basically if we hadn't been as successful as we have been under them, then they might not have? That's what it boils down to?

• Like 1

Guest SO1
51 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Not at all comfortable with it, the political situation in Thailand isn't a comfortable one - a few years ago now but here's an illustration of the regime https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/15/thai-man-faces-jail-insulting-kings-dog-sarcastic-internet-post

I get why it's important for the owners and therefore the club, but it's not something I would ever actively support and applaud like many did yesterday. Even aside from the questionable morals and ethics I wouldn't engage for the same reasons that I didn't stand for the national anthem when watching a baseball game in the US. 

I just go to the urinal during the anthem. A fitting tribute for our government. I know I'm being a wimp, just not up for conflict with the True Belivers. Yet.

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

So basically if we hadn't been as successful as we have been under them, then they might not have? That's what it boils down to?

Yes that’s exactly what I said :rolleyes:

whether we’ve been successful or not isn’t the point - their fantastic support and stewardship of the club and the extent to which they have committed their resources to it is 

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

I just go to the urinal during the anthem. A fitting tribute for our government. I know I'm being a wimp, just not up for conflict with the True Belivers. Yet.

Haha! I don't blame you, I just sat awkwardly and hoped it would end sooner rather than later. I wouldn't fancy a 'debate' with any of the hard core flag wavers. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Whilst thankfully there are some on here who have sensible comments I can't get over the amount of ignorant ill-informed and stupid opinions.

We are thankfully owned by successful people from a country with a different to ours. Respect that?

The political situation In Thailand has been a little merky, (or murky) as ours is so fair and pure we are able to comment on that. Ha

I'm about to go there on my 15th family visit (cue the pathetic ladyboy jokes) I can assure those who have not ventured out of their estate that as people and a country it much puts us to shame.

The game was on global TV and the King is still absolutely revered, if they feel that thanking him was appropriate why not? 

The merky (or 'murky') supporters are happy to take advantage of the Thai culture in way of their generosity. I don't see the the ignorant handing back the many token gifts, offering to pay extra for season tickets or wanting the first division again.

I feel I can embrace and respect other interesting cultures. The tone by some that borders on hatred to the best owners you could wish for is sad.

Call and see Top or drop him a line. When he see's the level of appreciation by some and pulls out of the club you'll be crying in to your Tennents Super and kebab.

Pathetic

I completely understand your sentiment but I also respectively disagree on a few points.

As has been alluded to already - the fact that we've been successful during their tenure does not give anybody the exclusive right to do whatever they want and expect every member of the crowd to obey. I couldn't have even dreamed of the level of success and stability we would go on to endure over the past few years, it's unprecedented, but outside of football I hold political and socioeconomic views, the same as every single poster on this forum does, and if anybody from my wife to my football club do or say something that I don't agree with then am I not entitled to question that?

Can Chelsea fans not be uncomfortable with Abramovic's relationship with Putin, or underhand dealings, because of what he has delivered to the club? You surely can be on the hand grateful for what they have delivered to the club, and on the other hand be somewhat dismissive to applauding a dictatorial regime that has seen people mysteriously vanish for being in opposition? 

It's a fine line and one that I struggle to tread. I wouldn't swap the past 5 or so years for anything, but the fact that we're not Coventry City doesn't mean I can't disagree with somethings the owner(s) do/have done.

As I mentioned before, we are all hypocrites and even more so as football fans. Just look at the Liverpool fans who supported Suarez through racial allegations and the biting and then threw their toys out the pram because he celebrates a huge goal in a Champions League final game. 

• Like 3