Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Thai Monarch

29 minutes ago, Liamlcfc1 said:

Duty-free deal up in Thailand in 2020 the Royal Thai family have a lot of influence over business and Vichai was friends with the late King of Thailand its not hard to work it out

For some it is apparently 

20 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

What? lol

Why on earth should we have to show deference to a regime which enacts the kind of draconian bollocks you've just described, just because our club's owner happens to be from the same country. As I've said before, if Top believes in all that then it's his personal business. It's certainly not the business of LCFC or its supporters, and we have no business as a club/fanbase officially supporting that or any other political standpoint.

I suppose it's the same respect as you show if you go to another country, or into someones house, wherever they live. You may not like their rules or views, so you either leave or tolerate them.

Although I agree it is not the business of any LCFC supporter (outside of Thailand) to respect the Thai King, it is both in King Powers interests, (and almost their duty being one of the most profitable companies in Thailand). As Leicester City is owned by King Power a Thai company, they are doing what every Thai company does.

By the way, I'm not Thai. I just live out here. I see first hand the power of the King out here and the respect he is given. Whether I agree or disagree with that is not up for debate. I was just pointing out a few facts!

Edited by ThaiFox
  • Like 1

It was absolutely bizarre. I loved the thousands applauding it afterwards as if they gave a shit or had any idea what he's about lol

As an aside - I stayed in my seat at half time for the first time this season and fan cam made me feel physically sick. Have we really been doing that all season? I'd rather watch a montage on Thai Kings than that ****ing pile of shit.

• Like 1

Couldn't care less. The Thai King isn't the one pulling coup d'états. Further, Thailand held fully democratic elections in March (from a Constitution passed by a public referenda), so to say there's a dictatorship there now is a bit silly, and frankly incorrect.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

Yeah - watched a documentary about the King of Thailand (when it was called Siam).

Nice bloke called something like 'Yul Brynner' I recall. Bit dogmatic at first, but quite likeable when you got to know him - kept breaking into song, though, which was a bit disconcerting.

Had an English governess for his kids I remember. Don't know if she was a Leicester fan or not.

(Etcetera, Etcetera...)

• Haha 3

Also, it was the last game of the season and I think Top invited many Thai guests to see the game. Saw many Thai celebrities and footballers in Leicester during the weekend. He probably wanted them to think this is a 'Thai' club, even though it is really not, but that's how many Thais like to think.

9 minutes ago, SiameseFox said:

Also, it was the last game of the season and I think Top invited many Thai guests to see the game. Saw many Thai celebrities and footballers in Leicester during the weekend. He probably wanted them to think this is a 'Thai' club, even though it is really not, but that's how many Thais like to think.

Very proud and very shrewd ….. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ……..

2 hours ago, ThaiFox said:

I suppose it's the same respect as you show if you go to another country, or into someones house, wherever they live. You may not like their rules or views, so you either leave or tolerate them.

Although I agree it is not the business of any LCFC supporter (outside of Thailand) to respect the Thai King, it is both in King Powers interests, (and almost their duty being one of the most profitable companies in Thailand). As Leicester City is owned by King Power a Thai company, they are doing what every Thai company does.

By the way, I'm not Thai. I just live out here. I see first hand the power of the King out here and the respect he is given. Whether I agree or disagree with that is not up for debate. I was just pointing out a few facts!

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

Maybe Tops hands are tied, He has recently lost his father. The King Power Brand is due for renewal.

I’m sure advisors at Board Level (king Power Group) instruct on what is expected and is a major source of PR for the King.

OK, well last time I checked Leicester City are based in England and have been since 1884. Why can't King Power show some respect by keeping politics out of the English football club they're custodians of?

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

Couldn't care less. The Thai King isn't the one pulling coup d'états. Further, Thailand held fully democratic elections in March (from a Constitution passed by a public referenda), so to say there's a dictatorship there now is a bit silly, and frankly incorrect.

The following quotes from Wikipedia:-

'The elections were widely seen as a skewed race in which Prayut—who previously announced his entry into electoral politics—had an unfair advantage, as the 250 sitting members of the appointed Senate were to be selected by the junta.'

'Rights groups and election monitors criticized the election for its biased environment, and the Election Commission for many errors and irregularities. The announcement of the results was repeatedly delayed; unofficial results were announced on 28 March, four days after the election. Official results were announced on 8 May.'

''Under the new constitution, the number of constituencies was reduced from 400 to 350. In 2018, the Election Commission (ECT) was tasked with drawing up new district boundaries. However, shortly before the ECT were about to announce the new boundaries, Prime Minister Prayut invoked Section 44 of the constitution to issue an order pushing back the deadline and delaying the announcement. The order also exempted the ECT from complying with existing districting laws and allowing them to draw constituency boundaries in any manner they wished.

The move sparked outrage from the Pheu Thai and Democrat parties and the watchdog organisation Open Forum for Democracy Foundation. They argued the purpose of the delay was to enable the ECT to draw constituency boundaries that favoured Prayut's Palang Pracharath Party. Some journalists and commentators compared this to gerrymandering, while others opined that the changes meant that the elections were a foregone conclusion.''

Alongside this, the Thai King in public announced his support for the General....later Prime Minister what carried out the Coup in 2014. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

I wouldn't say that Thailand is an out an out dictatorship, but to say that the March vote was a 'fully democratic election' is perhaps a little strong and the fact that the constitution is ripped up every few years suggests it's not that clear cut. It also seems to be widely acknowledged that the Monarch is above Parliament regardless. 

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2019/03/14/thailands-bogus-election

I think ultimately it's seems to be a necessary evil for the benefit of the club and, through blue tinted spectacles, I understand, but I really don't see how some can't fathom why anybody would question it. 

Edited by David Guiza

Guest Cujek

Politics and religion have no place what so ever in football.

But..

if this is what is expected of them, then so be it, not a lot anyone can do about it.

just suck it up and enjoy a few weeks off and wait for the transfer window to open.

14 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Some people complained on PL trophy-lifting day about people from Thailand on the laps of honour holding up Thai-related pictures which "spoiled the occasion" for them.

Aint no pleasing some folk, I guess.

Yeah there was loud audible chants of 'give it to the lads' or similar, and too right. They had won it not someone who is part of a businessman's entourage. It was a moment for the immortals. 

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Yeah there was loud audible chants of 'give it to the lads' or similar. And too right, they had won it not someone who is part of a businessman's entourage. It was a moment for the immortals. 

The immortals got plenty of love that day. They probably didn't even know about the people holding up the pictures.

I was on the pitch doing interviews and had no idea about them until afterwards when I saw people online having a moan.

If fans find that somehow detracted from the greatest celebration to such an extent it spoiled things, then they might have slightly skewed priorities.

But each to their own, eh.

45 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The following quotes from Wikipedia:-

'The elections were widely seen as a skewed race in which Prayut—who previously announced his entry into electoral politics—had an unfair advantage, as the 250 sitting members of the appointed Senate were to be selected by the junta.'

'Rights groups and election monitors criticized the election for its biased environment, and the Election Commission for many errors and irregularities. The announcement of the results was repeatedly delayed; unofficial results were announced on 28 March, four days after the election. Official results were announced on 8 May.'

''Under the new constitution, the number of constituencies was reduced from 400 to 350. In 2018, the Election Commission (ECT) was tasked with drawing up new district boundaries. However, shortly before the ECT were about to announce the new boundaries, Prime Minister Prayut invoked Section 44 of the constitution to issue an order pushing back the deadline and delaying the announcement. The order also exempted the ECT from complying with existing districting laws and allowing them to draw constituency boundaries in any manner they wished.

The move sparked outrage from the Pheu Thai and Democrat parties and the watchdog organisation Open Forum for Democracy Foundation. They argued the purpose of the delay was to enable the ECT to draw constituency boundaries that favoured Prayut's Palang Pracharath Party. Some journalists and commentators compared this to gerrymandering, while others opined that the changes meant that the elections were a foregone conclusion.''

Alongside this, the Thai King in public announced his support for the General....later Prime Minister what carried out the Coup in 2014. 

There may be issues with the candidate selection process, but the election itself was democratic (at least there's no major cries for the contrary, especially considering the result). No major voting fraud is what I'm getting at - something you would absolutely expect in a dictatorship. For the case of gerrymandering, there might even be a case against that argument just by looking at the results. Palang Pracharat won the popular vote, but got 21 fewer seats than Pheu Thai. Of course, the election system is not like ours, it uses party lists (not that ours is in any way representative either).

I'm sure the military did what it could, but their candidate failed. Thailand's largest political party by seats in their House of Representatives is one of antimilitarism.

Edited by Beechey

6 hours ago, promised land said:

Aggression?

Where?  I simply asked why it matters, they can put what they want up on the screens and boards around the pitch, my focus was on that bit of green stuff in the middle with 22 men chasing a bag of wind.

You asked in an aggressive manner no doubt about it. So focus on the green stuff in the middle then.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

On the note of history and 1884; Gordon Banks, one of the clubs greatest ever players and over 350 appearances, got about two sentences read out by Birch while the King of Thailand gets a display and, what seemed like, the whole ground clapping it.

Steady mate, your reasonable, measured concerns aren't welcome here. :revenge:

• Haha 2

This thread is really beyond parody.  

The king is the Thai head of state and Top wants to do something to mark his accession. 

We should show some respect for Thailand and for our owners and just stop whining.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, murphy said:

This thread is really beyond parody.  

The king is the Thai head of state and Top wants to do something to mark his accession. 

We should show some respect for Thailand and for our owners and just stop whining.

You don't do something to mark the occasion of any political leader at a football ground.

And as I stated above, this geezer gets more recognition than our past players ffs.

• Like 1