Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Thai Monarch

I arrived late just as the announcement came to an end and got the wrong end of the stick - I presumed he was there on the pitch or in the stand, "We've come a long way since the likes of Rusty Lee" I thought. It felt a little strange for it to be a distant appreciative applause but flip it on its head and if Top and his family being prominent Thai businessmen didn't make an acknowledgement when they are known to have the opportunity to it may have seemed odd back home. I don't think this one gesture will particularly earn them further political favour, they are from Thailand where the principals of respect have different levels and angles to some of our own and it's more likely to be just that - a sign of respect and an attempt to share something that is important to them more than any showy thing of "We know him, he's our mate".

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Because you called long-term fans who disagree with it "bloody ingrates", which makes you sound pretty outraged. 

For what it's worth I think Vichai was a great owner and all round good bloke, and I am not going to start boycotting the club or anything. I just would prefer them not to use our games to send messages to a person who has been accused of human rights abuses. Doesn't make me or anybody else ungrateful. 

Ingrates is probably a tad strong lol however I do find it incredulous that 1 brief message to the new King of their homeland was not crime of the century. I do not profess to know a lot about him or accusations ( as you put it) but I will now look into it to because of the concerns expressed. If the accusations are correct and the money that funds our club comes via the Kings say so should we protest and drive the owners out because of the morality and principle, not just because of what was on the screen?

16 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

No I think most do, in fact many have made that point that it is already pretty common knowledge and understood.

What those that keep saying about how important the Thai King is, is that absolutely that is the case however Leicester City Football Club should not be a vehicle to promote or push them.

And that is in no way a dig or a slander on our owners which a lot seem to also think anyone who feels uneasy with it is pushing. 

Just sayin'.

And whilst it can be agreed upon that perhaps a footclub is not an appropriate medium, that doesn't change the fact that lese majeste is in full swing. Considering Vicahi was given a royal name by the previous king (who was also a very good king btw) perhaps Top and co feel obliged to pay their respects.

All the hypocrites on here claiming faux concern for the political landscape in Thailand yet couldn’t wait to get a free bottle of the Singha  which is a Royal warranted beer,  didn’t see all you lot moaning above pouring it down the gutter in protest ??? 

Top needs to suck up , the least we can do is help him out 

man up 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

All the hypocrites on here claiming faux concern for the political landscape in Thailand yet couldn’t wait to get a free bottle of the Singha  which is a Royal warranted beer,  didn’t see all you lot moaning above pouring it down the gutter in protest ??? 

man up 

Personally don’t bother with the free items as I’m generally still in the pub or walking to the ground right up until kick off

With all the good that has come since we were lucky enough for the family to buy us they can do what they like as far as I'm concerned. Thailand as a place has a completely different culture to their Monarchy than we do. If a few messages of support to their king means we keep progressing then as I said they can do what they like. Just buy Tielemans :)

• Like 2

What works well in one country doesn’t work well in another the Thais idolize their royalty generally and it seems to work ok for them. In Vietnam one of the more prosperous South East Asian economies the people describe their government as a capitalist dictatorship that many feels works for themin what seems to be a very happy country these days.

i don’t think we British can criticize anyone considering the basket case we are at the moment . We can’t run a p*ss up in a brewery .

10 hours ago, Albert said:

.....what are the odds that those who are making a big deal & kicking off about politics just because our owners showed respect to their countries new king are Corbynites? 

Yes, I've seen well-known forum Leftie @MattP repping a few of the posts arguing against this kind of stuff going on. Water-tight theory you've got there.

4 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

man up 

Freebies never have bothered me personally, though it's a bit worrying that that seems to be all it takes for folks to turn a blind eye to anything King Power does. I suspect people would think differently if we weren't doing so well on the pitch.

2 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

With all the good that has come since we were lucky enough for the family to buy us they can do what they like as far as I'm concerned. Thailand as a place has a completely different culture to their Monarchy than we do. If a few messages of support to their king means we keep progressing then as I said they can do what they like. Just buy Tielemans :)

1 hour ago, mazarron fox said:

What works well in one country doesn’t work well in another the Thais idolize their royalty generally and it seems to work ok for them. In Vietnam one of the more prosperous South East Asian economies the people describe their government as a capitalist dictatorship that many feels works for themin what seems to be a very happy country these days.

i don’t think we British can criticize anyone considering the basket case we are at the moment . We can’t run a p*ss up in a brewery .

I think it's a bit patronising to suggest this is a cultural thing. As others have said there are many in Thailand who obviously disagree with the current regime. Are they disrespecting their own "culture" by protesting against that?

By the same token though, I wouldn't want messages in support of anti-royal Thais appearing on screens for the very reason that, as I've said before, politics has no place in Leicester City's stadium as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Albert said:

.....what are the odds that those who are making a big deal & kicking off about politics just because our owners showed respect to their countries new king are Corbynites? 

Slim I would imagine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes, I've seen well-known forum Leftie @MattP repping a few of the posts arguing against this kind of stuff going on. Water-tight theory you've got there.

Freebies never have bothered me personally, though it's a bit worrying that that seems to be all it takes for folks to turn a blind eye to anything King Power does. I suspect people would think differently if we weren't doing so well on the pitch.

I think it's a bit patronising to suggest this is a cultural thing. As others have said there are many in Thailand who obviously disagree with the current regime. Are they disrespecting their own "culture" by protesting against that?

By the same token though, I wouldn't want messages in support of anti-royal Thais appearing on screens for the very reason that, as I've said before, politics has no place in Leicester City's stadium as far as I'm concerned.

You be careful of them splinters.

4 hours ago, LinekersLugs said:

man up 

Shades of Team America- World Police.  Thanks for being a good sport and taking one for the team!

Would Vichai would've approved this himself?

Am guessing that Top was asked beforehand on whether this would've been allowed via his own permission and he accepted it on the grounds of the association with Thailand with the club since they took over the club plus the growth (better global exposure) of the Thai King Power brand that has obviously been hugely successful since Mandaric sold the club to them.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

12 hours ago, David Guiza said:

Incredible that the initial poster to this thread merely asked what people's thoughts were on the event and that was followed by handful of people have replied to say that they raised their eyebrows and it could be a somewhat slippery slope, which has since resulted in some claiming that season tickets should be handed in. If I handed in my season ticket every time I was mildly displeased or nonplussed at something the club has done I think it may have happened a long time ago. I assume practically every poster on here is against the World Cup being in Qatar for one reason or another? If so I assume you will all be absconding from the tournament in protest, no? 

As for the above post, what exactly is the point? I know it's only an internet based football forum about a mid-table Premier League club and not the Commons, but what exactly is that input supposed to offer, other than a 'bite'? It doesn't even make a great deal of sense. Surely if you were going to draw upon a political party comparison with those whom are perplexed by the message you would go the opposite way with something like UKIP, given that you can't understand why some are offended at people merely paying respect to their own culture? I don't even support Corbyn, but the last thing you can level at his supporters is that they are not open to other beliefs (with a certain notable exception I suppose). But no, what I assume is a sweeping statement about 'the left' being offended by everything is what you decided to go with, congrats.

As has been reiterated over and over again on the previous pages, nobody is saying that they are not grateful for the countless acts, gestures and general incredible work that the owners have done. Some are merely questioning whether it was necessary. There are countless ways in which the owners could have demonstrated their support that didn't involve a message on a jumbotron to 30,000 odd confused sports fans. Everyone with a brain cell can understand why it was done and, as the vast majority of us are hypocrites, if it ultimately leads to more success and financial stability then it will ultimately be forgotten about. I can't see our owner(s) ever doing anything too drastic along the lines of say Vincent Tan because he/they are far too sensible and level headed, but I do have a morbid curiosity as to what the outcome would be, given some arguments raised in this thread. 

I decided not to reply out of utter contempt for that drivel. But well said @David Guiza

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2019 at 00:02, Guybino said:

Just sayin'.

And whilst it can be agreed upon that perhaps a footclub is not an appropriate medium, that doesn't change the fact that lese majeste is in full swing. Considering Vicahi was given a royal name by the previous king (who was also a very good king btw) perhaps Top and co feel obliged to pay their respects.

And the new King sponsored and gave Vichai a state funeral in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quite frankly my understanding of Thai politics isn't strong enough to know of what's going on to have a solid opinion. 

Football and politics shouldn't normally mix, but if the little tribute to the new King is a way of Top saying thank you for how they supported them during his Father's death then that's fine with me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...