Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Thai Monarch

18 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

When people are being prisoned because free speech is stamped out, I think it's fair to say I can dismiss this system. 

Living in our country where free speech is clearly not accepted you can't really knock theirs.

If you fart in the UK you get arrested 30 years later.

They have decades old standards whilst still being a liberal country. One is that your don't openly dismiss the King, most are OK with, and respect that.

Singapore historically have taken no shitte. You knew the punishment to a crime so guess what? don't commit it. Pavements are like dance floors as no chewing gum, list is endless.

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

Not at all comfortable with it, the political situation in Thailand isn't a comfortable one - a few years ago now but here's an illustration of the regime https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/dec/15/thai-man-faces-jail-insulting-kings-dog-sarcastic-internet-post

I get why it's important for the owners and therefore the club, but it's not something I would ever actively support and applaud like many did yesterday. Even aside from the questionable morals and ethics I wouldn't engage for the same reasons that I didn't stand for the national anthem when watching a baseball game in the US. 

I noted with some surprise that many people also applauded Chelsea for getting to the Europa League final!

Couldn't quite bring myself to do join in with that either!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Whilst thankfully there are some on here who have sensible comments I can't get over the amount of ignorant ill-informed and stupid opinions.

We are thankfully owned by successful people from a country with a different culture to ours. Respect that?

The political situation In Thailand has been a little merky, (or murky) as ours is so fair and pure we are able to comment on that. Ha

I'm about to go there on my 15th family visit (cue the pathetic ladyboy jokes) I can assure those who have not ventured out of their estate that as people and a country much puts us to shame.

The game was on global TV and the King is still absolutely revered, if they feel that thanking him was appropriate why not? 

The merky (or 'murky') supporters are happy to take advantage of the Thai culture in way of their generosity. I don't see the the ignorant handing back the many token gifts, offering to pay extra for season tickets or wanting the first division again.

I feel I can embrace and respect other interesting cultures. The tone by some that borders on hatred to the best owners you could wish for is sad.

Call and see Top or drop him a line. When he see's the level of appreciation by some and pulls out of the club you'll be crying in to your Tennents Super and kebab.

Pathetic

Yes Bob, but what do you really think?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Living in our country where free speech is clearly not accepted you can't really knock theirs.

If you fart in the UK you get arrested 30 years later.

You are completely over exaggerated that point in this country. People at the moment are daily taking the p**s out of Theresa May.  

In the example I am thinking of; a Thai citizen was sent to jail for cracking a joke about the King's Dog!

Interestingly similar laws apply in Spain as well. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

10 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Haha! I don't blame you, I just sat awkwardly and hoped it would end sooner rather than later. I wouldn't fancy a 'debate' with any of the hard core flag wavers. 

I completely understand your sentiment but I also respectively disagree on a few points.

As has been alluded to already - the fact that we've been successful during their tenure does not give anybody the exclusive right to do whatever they want and expect every member of the crowd to obey. I couldn't have even dreamed of the level of success and stability we would go on to endure over the past few years, it's unprecedented, but outside of football I hold political and socioeconomic views, the same as every single poster on this forum does, and if anybody from my wife to my football club do or say something that I don't agree with then am I not entitled to question that?

Can Chelsea fans not be uncomfortable with Abramovic's relationship with Putin, or underhand dealings, because of what he has delivered to the club? You surely can be on the hand grateful for what they have delivered to the club, and on the other hand be somewhat dismissive to applauding a dictatorial regime that has seen people mysteriously vanish for being in opposition? 

It's a fine line and one that I struggle to tread. I wouldn't swap the past 5 or so years for anything, but the fact that we're not Coventry City doesn't mean I can't disagree with somethings the owner(s) do/have done.

As I mentioned before, we are all hypocrites and even more so as football fans. Just look at the Liverpool fans who supported Suarez through racial allegations and the biting and then threw their toys out the pram because he celebrates a huge goal in a Champions League final game. 

The wife, definitely not! 

Will I be forever grateful for our owners contribution and input into our club, absolutely. None better imo. Doesn't mean I've to agree with all of their views. I will however respect their views and culture. 

• Haha 1

Interesting thread for our usual level of debate.King Powers franchise has lasted very well for SOME reason.

I don't think there is any real doubt that the Thai system is a mile away from what we would call a western democracy.But we have one party funded by unions another by business(a bit general)We also have a pretty free speech regime .

I did some business years ago with an English guy who had interest in Indonesia and ex gratia payments were quite normal.I have a friend whose wifes(Thai)sister is married to the local police guy and guess what he has the biggest house in the area.

But we have an owner who has invested in the football club amongst their other interests and we are therefore entitled to enjoy that.

Far too political, surprised it’s allowed. However my suspicion is that they might be a bit worried about something (contracts maybe) so are trying to score points with the king. Not many better ways to do so that advertising their love during a premier league match 

6 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Haha! I don't blame you, I just sat awkwardly and hoped it would end sooner rather than later. I wouldn't fancy a 'debate' with any of the hard core flag wavers. 

I completely understand your sentiment but I also respectively disagree on a few points.

As has been alluded to already - the fact that we've been successful during their tenure does not give anybody the exclusive right to do whatever they want and expect every member of the crowd to obey. I couldn't have even dreamed of the level of success and stability we would go on to endure over the past few years, it's unprecedented, but outside of football I hold political and socioeconomic views, the same as every single poster on this forum does, and if anybody from my wife to my football club do or say something that I don't agree with then am I not entitled to question that?

Can Chelsea fans not be uncomfortable with Abramovic's relationship with Putin, or underhand dealings, because of what he has delivered to the club? You surely can be on the hand grateful for what they have delivered to the club, and on the other hand be somewhat dismissive to applauding a dictatorial regime that has seen people mysteriously vanish for being in opposition? 

It's a fine line and one that I struggle to tread. I wouldn't swap the past 5 or so years for anything, but the fact that we're not Coventry City doesn't mean I can't disagree with somethings the owner(s) do/have done.

As I mentioned before, we are all hypocrites and even more so as football fans. Just look at the Liverpool fans who supported Suarez through racial allegations and the biting and then threw their toys out the pram because he celebrates a huge goal in a Champions League final game. 

'every member of the crowd to obey'

I don't believe the owners ever do anything and expect the crowd to obey? 

Be boring if we all had the same opinion. There was a couple of 'BS' lumps knocking the craap out of each other near the Blues Bar over UKip!!

Now that is sad!! How times have changed :)

Simple terms, of course the owners are in it for themselves, that's business.

Given what they have provided for the club and city and the dignified way they go about it can we really question their reasoning for displaying a picture of the deceased King shortly after his son recently became King.

The messages around the pitch were from Air Asia, obviously a major sponsor of LCFC.

I'm sure there was some cultural significance in the timing that i'm not aware of.

Other than their belief in celebrating the Kings life, given the global platform all games get it would be financially suicidal to not to be seen to honour this. Money we spend!! 

I wouldn't swap with Martin George and paying homage to the Weetabix

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Yes that’s exactly what I said :rolleyes:

whether we’ve been successful or not isn’t the point - their fantastic support and stewardship of the club and the extent to which they have committed their resources to it is 

OK, so if they were bad owners (a Mike Ashley/Oystons type scenario) then they wouldn't have earned the right to use the club as a vehicle to promote political messages? But because they're good owners, that makes it OK?

Who cares, the club are just showing respect to the owners.

So you think if the Queen finally gives in and a new King is crowned there will be nothing said in the PL?

For me, as weird as it is, I just don't really let it bother me. I'll sit there and listen but not gonna moan about it. As long as the football delivers, that's all I care about.

24 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You are completely over exaggerated that point in this country. People at the moment are daily taking the p**s out of Theresa May.  

In the example I am thinking of; a Thai citizen was sent to jail for cracking a joke about the King's Dog!

Interestingly similar laws apply in Spain as well. 

In fairness, there are some bad dog jokes about.

The 'people' know where than stand. The old Don Mueang airport had signs saying 'Those caught smuggling drugs will be executed' 

People need to get over it. The issue should never have been questioned or the topic raised

Club with some of the best owners in football choose the right to display an image shock!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Who cares, the club are just showing respect to the owners.

So you think if the Queen finally gives in and a new King is crowned there will be nothing said in the PL?

For me, as weird as it is, I just don't really let it bother me. I'll sit there and listen but not gonna moan about it. As long as the football delivers, that's all I care about.

Very different in Thailand.

There's not a home or business without a portrait of the King. Only picture I have of the Queen is on a Sex Pistols album.

First visit there- 20 storey buildings covered in an image of the King and others the same size with David Beckham.

38 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

Very different in Thailand.

There's not a home or business without a portrait of the King. Only picture I have of the Queen is on a Sex Pistols album.

First visit there- 20 storey buildings covered in an image of the King and others the same size with David Beckham.

The very, very strict Lese Majeste rules of Thailand almost make it compulsory to put the King's picture up in almost every building, and every street.

At least seven years of imprisonment for any criticism of the King.

The schoolchildren have to sing the King's anthem every morning, and Wei (respectful greeting) to his picture. People have to go on their knees to just his picture as they can't be see to be higher than he.

I've even seen a woman holding an umbrella over the King's picture in the street when it rained.

I saw a nurse on her knees pushing a wheelchair when the previous King was unable to walk, because she could not be higher than the King.

I've known people out here get arrested by not standing for the King's anthem in the cinema.

So it's no surprise that King Power (and Sheffield Wednesday) respected his coronation. Leicester City being Thai owned, we have to respect that too, (even if we have no love for any monarchy), as we are respecting our owners, not the Thai King.

Edited by ThaiFox

The Thai junta play a very heavy-handed royalist game.  The merest criticism of the king can lead to much worse consequences than losing your airport duty-free monopoly.

Navigating political changes there must require extraordinary skill to stay on everybody’s good side, especially the royal family.  Vichai did so with genius; hopefully Top learned the lessons well.  Surely these messages are not intended for anyone in the KP -- you are innocent bystanders.

I can understand it seems distasteful, especially in another country with its own traditional monarchy.  But, it’s King Power’s cost of doing business.  And therefore the Club’s. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

What? lol

Why on earth should we have to show deference to a regime which enacts the kind of draconian bollocks you've just described, just because our club's owner happens to be from the same country. As I've said before, if Top believes in all that then it's his personal business. It's certainly not the business of LCFC or its supporters, and we have no business as a club/fanbase officially supporting that or any other political standpoint.

Maybe Tops hands are tied, He has recently lost his father. The King Power Brand is due for renewal.

I’m sure advisors at Board Level (king Power Group) instruct on what is expected and is a major source of PR for the King.

Guest Markyblue
2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Personal matters and opinions, simple as that. 

How about leaving your political opinion out .