Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SemperEadem

Thai Monarch

52 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

On the note of history and 1884; Gordon Banks, one of the clubs greatest ever players and over 350 appearances, got about two sentences read out by Birch while the King of Thailand gets a display and, what seemed like, the whole ground clapping it.

Regards the "whole ground clapping" I imagine most people were doing it for the same reason I was - confusion. 

• Haha 1

Guest Markyblue

A few months on from losing our Thai owner, ungrateful bas....s. i bet you still take the freebies though. 

Guest Markyblue
7 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It’s concerning how many are taking the “if it makes the owners happy then it’s fine with me”. It’s a dangerous precedent to set, that - how many celebrities over time got away with horrendous crimes because of their profile and people not wanting to challenge that profile or feeling that it was somehow acceptable because of their celebrity?

We have amazing owners but I think we should also, as a fan base, take responsibility for what our club is being used for. It’s a moral question.

Yes, in practice it doesn’t affect us too much: a billboard here, an announcement there. But on a moral level it’s a whole lot more; an endorsement of a suppression of democracy and freedom of voice.

Would the same people who are perfectly fine with it now have also been fine with it had we had German owners in the 30s/40s and they wanted to endorse Hitler and the Nazis at Filbert Street?

The Thais have been fairly respectful of traditions since they arrived and what benefit they use their profile from owning the club for is none of my business. I’m sure it gives them access to social circles they didn’t previously have here in the UK on a personal level but that’s different to using our club’s name as a vehicle to drive a political message/agenda.

@Union FS - I’d be interested to hear your take on this and whether you’ve used your voice to feedback to the club that fans might not be so keen to have a Thai political message pushed on them? These are exactly the kind of things that a fan group should be at least providing some feedback on.

Regardless of your or mine point of view on this why would thousands of city supporters want their unknown views expressed to the club by a group of about 30 people or how ever many make up union fs.

25 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

It’s concerning how many are taking the “if it makes the owners happy then it’s fine with me”. It’s a dangerous precedent to set, that - how many celebrities over time got away with horrendous crimes because of their profile and people not wanting to challenge that profile or feeling that it was somehow acceptable because of their celebrity?

We have amazing owners but I think we should also, as a fan base, take responsibility for what our club is being used for. It’s a moral question.

Yes, in practice it doesn’t affect us too much: a billboard here, an announcement there. But on a moral level it’s a whole lot more; an endorsement of a suppression of democracy and freedom of voice.

Would the same people who are perfectly fine with it now have also been fine with it had we had German owners in the 30s/40s and they wanted to endorse Hitler and the Nazis at Filbert Street?

The Thais have been fairly respectful of traditions since they arrived and what benefit they use their profile from owning the club for is none of my business. I’m sure it gives them access to social circles they didn’t previously have here in the UK on a personal level but that’s different to using our club’s name as a vehicle to drive a political message/agenda.

@Union FS - I’d be interested to hear your take on this and whether you’ve used your voice to feedback to the club that fans might not be so keen to have a Thai political message pushed on them? These are exactly the kind of things that a fan group should be at least providing some feedback on.

I'm impressed.

It actually took five whole pages for Godwin's Law to be invoked.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Will the the poor sensitive souls be happy if Top and his team walk away from our club? 

I guess those outraged will be unfurling their protest banners next season?

Incredulous and bloody ingrates IMO.

No probably won’t because the greater good,  why mix politics with football. The same reason Union FS won’t get involved - politics is alienating

Club doesnt stop and end on current owners. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Regardless of your or mine point of view on this why would thousands of city supporters want their unknown views expressed to the club by a group of about 30 people or how ever many make up union fs.

Just about to post the same.

Are they still going? I never hear a peep out of that corner and I’m in SK2.

4 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Particularly impressive given that this is a political discussion on the endorsement of an undemocratic regime don’t you think?

This is a footy board. Fed up with all this talk about the undemocratic Windsor family.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Will the the poor sensitive souls be happy if Top and his team walk away from our club? 

I guess those outraged will be unfurling their protest banners next season?

Incredulous and bloody ingrates IMO.

So as long as the owners are here, I can't criticise anything. Good for democracy that. Close the forum.

Personally agree with @Freeman's Wharfer the opinion is spot on.

Questioning the owners/boards obvious agenda to push Thai politics on the club isn't being disrespectful to their traditions in anyway. Its an adult conversation about the everything surrounding our club. 

They're great owners in many regards but nobody is perfect and they have their faults no matter how minor some people believe them to be. However, if they were to continue pushing foreign politics on our club surely it'd have to be questioned in some regard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Maybe we could've got some good free Merchandise

Hugo Boss T shirts

Volkswagen as a sponsor 

31 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Were you at the Arsenal home game ? 

I thought I’d get a bite, yes I go to every game home and away but I refuse to hold up some crappy plastic sheet. 

I much prefer those surfers you make, you can punch a hole through the joints and see the teams come out, chap in front of me gets a bit arsey if I take his little plastic sheet of him so I can see the pitch.

Do carry on. 

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Did you post in here, raising any of these arguments, at the end of the season in 2016, when Vichai, Top and the gang walked around the ground holding up a picture of the old King? 

If not, you're quite late with the outrage. 

Edited by Vacamion
Comma was accidentally inserted
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, promised land said:

I thought I’d get a bite, yes I go to every game home and away but I refuse to hold up some crappy plastic sheet. 

I much prefer those surfers you make, you can punch a hole through the joints and see the teams come out, chap in front of me gets a bit arsey if I take his little plastic sheet of him so I can see the pitch.

Do carry on. 

I’m not a member of Union FS mate - so keep the passive aggression up and enjoy the rest of your Monday 

Firstly i am pretty dure anyone seeing the thai stuff knows its coz the owers iwn tge club and they can do as they please.

We are free to agree or not... we can clap or boo

I admit i regarded it as a quirk. ... i have been on holiday to Thailand without assessing their king or govetnment.

They are great owners yet may have some peculiarities.... if fans feel strongly they can make noise 

as someone who recently visited Bangkok and went to see Vichai laying in state - you can't underestimate the family's importance and the respect for them over there.

the new Thai King is a slightly controversial figure and Top and co. will want to stay on the right side of him if they wish to continue with their business as usual.

if that means a quick image on a screen then so be it, I guess. 

1 minute ago, foxinsocks said:

They are great owners yet may have some peculiarities.... if fans feel strongly they can make noise 

I think this is what it boils down to. No one's questioning their impact on the club, just some of the actions that are pushing the envelope a bit more than others.

I'd be more worried if we just mindlessly agreed with everything that went on at the club, be it players, managers or owners.

• Like 3