Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Kasper Schmeichel = Legend

4 hours ago, davieG said:

'He stared me down' - Leicester City's Kasper Schmeichel recalls run-in with Nigel Pearson
Dane said former manager played a 'pivotal' role in his career, but there was one 'frank conversation'

ByJordan Blackwell
13:00, 27 MAY 2019UPDATED13:17, 27 MAY 2019

0_Nigel-Pearson-and-Kasper-SchmeichelJPG
Nigel Pearson and Kasper Schmeichel after a meeting between Leicester City and Blackpool in 2012 (Image: Will Johnston)

Nigel Pearson played a “pivotal” role in Kasper Schmeichel’s career but the Leicester City goalkeeper has revealed the one run-in he had with his former manager.

Pearson took over from Sven-Goran Eriksson as City boss in November 2011, just four months after Schmeichel had moved to the King Power Stadium from Leeds, and the pair hit it off almost immediately.

But in the 2014-15 season, when Schmeichel returned from a three-month lay-off with a fractured foot but only found himself on the bench behind Mark Schwarzer, there was a “frank conversation” between the Dane and Pearson.

There are no prizes for guessing who won the dispute.

“Nigel is one of those guys who is a very important figure in my career,” Schmeichel said on Joe Hart’s Youtube series, Gloved.

“He pulled me aside after about a week (after joining City) and after a brief conversation, he said: ‘By the way, I’ve known about you for a long time and I was never too sure. But I’m having you.’

“That made me feel a million dollars, that it took me a week to turn someone’s opinion.

“We had a great relationship from there on in. He was fantastic.

“But the guy is brutally honest.

“I had one situation where I came back from an injury and he didn’t play me. I had a frank conversation with him but he just stared me down.

“I knew that I had to shut up then. I wasn’t going to win that argument.”

Although Pearson remains reluctant to take credit for the Premier League title win that came in the season following his departure, Schmeichel said the former boss deserves praise for the current standing of the club.

“He built the infrastructure of the club,” Schmeichel said. “He built an amazing atmosphere. A lot of the people that he brought in are still there.

“He deserves huge credit for what Leicester is today and what Leicester achieved from what he put in place and how he built the club up.

“He was a very pivotal figure. I captained my first game under him. He made me vice-captain. He put a lot of faith in me.

“As a person he really cared about his players. He still does, he still cares. He treats them like his own children. He looks after you. You could always go to him with anything and that was amazing for me.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/he-stared-down-leicester-citys-2912051

Despite the tragic tone of the Burnley match in November it was a great moment to wave and cheer Nigel off, Ranieri too obviously.

I still remember the 0-0 against Hull where Pearson had gone to them in the summer also being quite respectful even despite the fact we'd appointed a huge profile manager for us at the time in Sven and it was a generous reception. Really would like to see him be a success again but it really was the perfect team he had with Shakey & Walsh.

Agree on Kasper, one of the stalwarts of this era. My Grandad still doesn't trust him from time to time but a major part of the renowned character of the squad during highs and lows.

• Like 1

Great stuff.

Cliff notes:

- He speaks about of Man City messed him about and how he only went to Notts County because of Sven and because he wanted go get the hell out.

- At Leeds they didn't fully accept him and Simon Grayson didn't rate him at all.

- Sven was the first person to call him world class

- He speaks of Pearson in glowing terms.

- speaks of the title winning season

- Doesn't really say anything about Ranieri. He talked about Pearson and Sven but not one word about Ranieri. 

Edited by Koke
  • Thanks 1

I dont approve of the way he was treated by the Leeds hierarchy but I understand why Grayson didn't rate him. Schmeichel in early years here was a bomb scare, made some awful howlers. But he was young and he matured in his mid to late 20s.

Interesting how Joe Hart said in that interview that the build up to our game against them at Etihad the talk amongst Man City players & staff was how they were gonna "put us to bed" (literal quote). This was the game they were gonna burst our bubble and end any talk of Leicester winning the title.

Instead we put them to bed and we never heard from them again that season.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Koke said:

Interesting how Joe Hart said in that interview that the build up to our game against them at Etihad the talk amongst Man City players & staff was how they were gonna "put us to bed" (literal quote). This was the game they were gonna burst our bubble and end any talk of Leicester winning the title.

Instead we put them to bed and we never heard from them again that season.

We were exceptional that day. Basically put a wall up to stop them getting through then sprinting like lightning on counter attacks. Tactical brilliance.

• Like 3

Has starred at the world cup, champions league and in the PL. He has had a tough season (as have we all), but it has been nice to see him given the armband. Not many keepers get that chance, and I'm sure it means a lot to him.

On his day he is a top draw keeper, and I'd love to see him leading us out on european nights. It would give him something his dad never achieved, afaik.

Guest bss9401

My favoured iconic moment was the world class one handed save in the last minutes of the FC Copenhagen 1-0 home CL win. Our fans cheered like It was a goal and the world heard our fans chanting his name from all corners of the stadium.

On 29/05/2019 at 06:19, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Who's the "sporting director" he's referring to at 25.50? 

I didn't realize that all of 5 years ago, the club was trundling along with so many of its players on year-to-year contracts.

from the Guardian in January 2014:

Pearson, who is hoping to sign the Le Havre winger Riyad Mayrez and the veteran striker Kevin Phillips, insisted that his side would not be distracted by the fact that his contract, like those of 10 members of his first-team squad, is to expire this summer. "It's a common occurrence in football and nothing out of the ordinary," he said.

we moved Phillips into coaching, correct? ... but was anything ever heard from this Mayrez?

• 4 weeks later...

Not that I care in the slightest, but has anyone else heard rumors that he's a bit of a **** off the pitch?

I was working with a photographer the other day who works with a top sports brand. He has photographed most top footballers and I asked him if any of them had been difficult (he didn't know I was a Leicester fan at this point). He said only one in his whole career and that was Kasper who was rude, arrogant and difficult to work with. Surprised me as I always thought he came across as a top bloke.