Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I always had the impression that Chilwell never wanted Barnes to steal his thunder. I might be totally wrong but that was still my impression.

Something certainly wasn't right there. You'd like to think perhaps Chilwell was trying to take on the responsibility rather than pass it to a lad with nowhere near the same experience. You'd hope people aren't so petty to purposely sabotage someone else in the same team. 

I think perhaps it's a clash of styles, Chilwell was very good at gaining ground. He could get us up the pitch, problem is he tends to slow things down when there by going backwards or crossing it himself. Barnes ended up coming inside to get out of his way and he'd go into a more congested area.

Barnes likes to get the ball and charge at people, no point going past him, then passing it back to him when defence is now set. Get it to him early with space and he'll drive into it. 

37 minutes ago, Sampson said:

People don't half overrate second division and mid-table players from when they were younger on here.

Barnes is clearly better than Heskey was and much better than Joachim. 

We haven't had an academy product like Barnes since Lineker.

What are you going on about? I said Barnes was the most " exciting " academy player we've had since Joachim. I wasn't marking them against each other in terms of ability or saying that any other player who's come through between them weren't as good I'm talking about getting you off your seat. Joachim was unreal and we've had very little attackers come through the ranks in the 25 years since him and Heskey.

We are excelling at a higher level now and therefore Barnes is the best of them all, or soon will be. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Vardy, Lineker A. Smith 

Wouldn't even class him as that type of Forward anyway, he was the foil who had to do much of the donkey work, had to play out wide a fair amount as well early on. His finishing was always sketchy, but his page and power terrorised defences and allowed us to pump it into the channels and get him to chase it down. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Wouldn't even class him as that type of Forward anyway, he was the foil who had to do much of the donkey work, had to play out wide a fair amount as well early on. His finishing was always sketchy, but his page and power terrorised defences and allowed us to pump it into the channels and get him to chase it down. 

At his best that was true, but you're talking about him "terrorising defences" in general as if he did it every game when he didn't - that's nostalgia talking. He did that every 4 or 5 games or so and never did it to the consistency as Barnes has done this season - neither did he show his best traits to the same consistency as Lineker, Vardy, Smith or Worthington did.

Again, I'm  not saying he was shit. He wasn't, he was good. But he also clearly was never as consistently good a player as Barnes or some of the other attacking players we've had.

Edited by Sampson

17 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yes I remember him and like a lot of youngsters - like Barnes last season in fact, he could be sensational in patches and streaks but never had the consistency for us that Barnes had this season.

I hope Barnes goes onto achieve more than Heskey too and obviously he hasn't yet, but at the same time, Heskey never had anywhere near as good a season as Barnes is having at the moment for us. You could maybe argue his first season at Liverpool was as good, but for us Barnes is clearly far more consistent and better than Heskey ever was for us.

It's hardly nonsense. It's the same from the team when I was a kid though, people still romanticise the Bloomfield era I watched growing up, as if they were better than the current side, despite the fact we were bottom half also-rans in that period and went on some of the worst runs in the club's history. Pretty sure the longest run without a win in the club's history still stands from the Bloomfield era. People only remember the good games from past players and it puts them out of all proportion when comparing with current players because they forgot the poor or forgettable games or the inconsistencies. 

Yes it is nonsense.

Why in a Barnes thread are you devaluing Emile Heskey? Yes he’s loved by many on here and that says so much.

You admit to criticising Barnes last season when he clearly had talent to burn and now you hold him up as the best young talent since Lineker, it’s a shame you cannot support our young players when they are struggling for form and not just when they are playing brilliantly.

I don’t go as far back as Bloomfield, Jock  Wallace being my first manager, so I’ve also seen many ups and downs, and that period when Heskey was with us was definitely an up and Heskey played a massive role in that and deserves credit and praise.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sampson said:

At his best that was true, but you're talking about him "terrorising defences" in general as if he did it every game when he didn't - that's nostalgia talking. He did that every 4 or 5 games or so and never did it to the consistency as Barnes has done this season - neither did he show his best traits to the same consistency as Lineker, Vardy, Smith or Worthington did.

Again, I'm  not saying he was shit. He wasn't, he was good. But he also clearly was never as consistently good a player as Barnes or some of the other attacking players we've had.

I can't believe Liverpool made him their club record signing.... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Yes it is nonsense.

Why in a Barnes thread are you devaluing Emile Heskey? Yes he’s loved by many on here and that says so much.

You admit to criticising Barnes last season when he clearly had talent to burn and now you hold him up as the best young talent since Lineker, it’s a shame you cannot support our young players when they are struggling for form and not just when they are playing brilliantly.

I don’t go as far back as Bloomfield, Jock  Wallace being my first manager, so I’ve also seen many ups and downs, and that period when Heskey was with us was definitely an up and Heskey played a massive role in that and deserves credit and praise.

I'm comparing him to heskey and Joachim in this thread because in the past 2 days we've had posts saying "Barnes is our best/most exciting academy product since..." for both Heskey and Joachim. It was as a response from that 

And I was saying Barnes is clearly more constantly better and it's only really by nostalgia you can hold up Heskey or Joachim as still being better. I'm not using it to attack Heskey, I'm using it to say people still don't seem to realise just how good the players of the past 5-6 years in our in relation to players from our history is

We're talking about 2 different things - I'm not talking about how iconic or well loved a player is at all- that naturally comes from the relative context of where the club was at at the time. Most of us love and remember Lloyd Dyer way more than Demarai Gray, I'm not sure you can say he was a better player though.

I completely understand why people romanticise players from the past as there are players who were great in the context of those eras and I'm not saying anyone should not still love these players - but when you're talking about the best players and people still talk about inconsistent mid-table or Second Division players as if they're better than a player like Barnes that's clearly just nostalgia, but more than that- I think it's a lack of recognition of just how consistently good our players from the past 5-6 years are/have been in the context of our history.

It's the same with Steve Walsh. You get plenty on here saying he was better than Morgan, Huth; Evans or Soyuncu. I loved Walsh, he was here for years, he had iconic moments, I totally get why people love him and romanticise him - because there's more to being loved at a club than ability. But in terms of ability, he clearly wasn't as consistently ood as the likes of Morgan,Huth, Evans or Soyuncu at their peaks. To me, that's not talking Walsh down, that's talking Morgan, Huth, Evans and Soyuncu down - and when people say Barnes is our best/most exciting youth product since Heskey or Joachim, that's talking Barnes down.

Edited by Sampson

24 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I always had the impression that Chilwell never wanted Barnes to steal his thunder. I might be totally wrong but that was still my impression.

I used to think that too, but he’s been doing the same at Chelsea, and he think it’s one reason Tuchel has dropped him because it slows the attack down. 

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Barnes seemed to physically develop all of a sudden a few years back. When he was a teenager I don't remember him being thought of as the pacey direct player that he his now. 

I think that physical development is key a lot of the time and it's not a given that it will happen with the complexities of genetics. 

he has always been extremely fast I just don't think he ever had the confidence in the spell under puel when we recalled him back from WBA to actually run at defenders and utilise it 

24 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm comparing him to heskey and Joachim in this thread because in the past 2 days we've had posts saying "Barnes is our best/most exciting academy product since..." for both Heskey and Joachim. It was as a response from that 

And I was saying Barnes is clearly more constantly better and it's only really by nostalgia you can hold up Heskey or Joachim as still being better. I'm not using it to attack Heskey, I'm using it to say people still don't seem to realise just how good the players of the past 5-6 years in our in relation to players from our history is

We're talking about 2 different things - I'm not talking about how iconic or well loved a player is at all- that naturally comes from the relative context of where the club was at at the time. Most of us love and remember Lloyd Dyer way more than Demarai Gray, I'm not sure you can say he was a better player though.

I completely understand why people romanticise players from the past as there are players who were great in the context of those eras and I'm not saying anyone should not still love these players - but when you're talking about the best players and people still talk about inconsistent mid-table or Second Division players as if they're better than a player like Barnes that's clearly just nostalgia, but more than that- I think it's a lack of recognition of just how consistently good our players from the past 5-6 years are/have been in the context of our history.

It's the same with Steve Walsh. You get plenty on here saying he was better than Morgan, Huth; Evans or Soyuncu. I loved Walsh, he was here for years, he had iconic moments, I totally get why people love him and romanticise him - because there's more to being loved at a club than ability. But in terms of ability, he clearly wasn't as consistently ood as the likes of Morgan,Huth, Evans or Soyuncu at their peaks. To me, that's not talking Walsh down, that's talking Morgan, Huth, Evans and Soyuncu down - and when people say Barnes is our best/most exciting youth product since Heskey or Joachim, that's talking Barnes down.

I see you've not responded to my post though. You've gone off on one because you think our fans are classing Barnes on a par with Heskey or Joachim, I've then explained what I meant and you are still arguing about Barnes being disrespected for being measured against Heskey and Joachim. 

Last season you used to slate Barnes as well, I'm a little baffled. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I see you've not responded to my post though. You've gone off on one because you think our fans are classing Barnes on a par with Heskey or Joachim, I've then explained what I meant and you are still arguing about Barnes being disrespected for being measured against Heskey and Joachim. 

Last season you used to slate Barnes as well, I'm a little baffled. 

Apologies. I didnt see your post.

That's fair enough if that's how you're distinguishing "best" to "most exciting". I still find it a little weird to think he's not more exciting than Joachim was though.

I didnt used to slate Barnes. I used to say he clearly has potential but his finishing and desicion making in the final third was poor (which it was) and I wasn't convinced it would improve when others were. He has improved that though and I was wrong and others were right - I've already admitted that in here a few times this season. Why is that baffling? Can't someone be doubtful as to whether someone will improve but then be happy when they clearly do improve? What's baffling about someone happily admitting they were wrong?

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

The frightening thing about Barnes is that there is still improvements to be made IMO. 

For England, I think Rashford is the nearest thing to him in terms of style, with his direct running and shooting on site motto. Every decent English attacker seems to want or is better playing from left. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Apologies. I didnt see your post.

That's fair enough if that's how you're distinguishing "best" to "most exciting". I still find it a little weird to think he's not more exciting than Joachim was though.

I didnt used to slate Barnes. I used to say he clearly has potential but his finishing and desicion making in the final third was poor (which it was) and I wasn't convinced it would improve when others were. He has improved that though and I was wrong and others were right - I've already admitted that in here a few times this season. Why is that baffling? Can't someone be doubtful as to whether someone will improve but then be happy when they clearly do improve? What's baffling about someone happily admitting they were wrong?

I said he's the most exciting since Joachim, he's surpassed the buzz that Joachim used to bring as a) he's doing it at the top of the PL and in Europe and b) he's doing it more regularly. I simply love watching him, his form since December has been exceptional too.

What I mean by baffling was that you were seemingly struggling to comprehend why fans were doing Barnes a disservice by measuring him against inferior past academy players which we weren't doing anyway, when you also were guilty of doing him a disservice too. Anyway, we've cleared up what we meant.

I think what we can all agree on is we have a huge talent on our hands who ought to grace club and Country for many years.

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

The frightening thing about Barnes is that there is still improvements to be made IMO. 

For England, I think Rashford is the nearest thing to him in terms of style, with his direct running and shooting on site motto. Every decent English attacker seems to want or is better playing from left. 

Grealish, Sterling, Rashford and Barnes vying for the left forward role.

Sancho, Greenwood, Saka and Foden for the right forward role. Although Foden is probably most likely to play in the midfield 3 where he's competing with Mount and Maddison for the ACM role. 

Barnes really does have to keep improving and make it impossible to be left out, the right wing is nowhere near as strong right now.

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Heskey was playing in a midtable team, and considering he was mostly the second striker his numbers are very decent for a young player. Lets not forget here, that first season he was 18 years old... Barnes is currently 23 and got far more football under his belt. 

Premier League Only

96/97   10 Goals 6 Assists

97/98   10 Goals 5 Assists

98/99   6 Goals 3 Assists

99/00  10 Goals 5 Assists

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Heskey was playing in a midtable team, and considering he was mostly the second striker his numbers are very decent for a young player. Lets not forget here, that first season he was 18 years old... Barnes is currently 23 and got far more football under his belt. 

Premier League Only

Whilst it wasn't the only reason for us being relegated, selling Heskey was a massive factor.

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

In general football circles I'd agree. But on here he's massively overrated. A lot of people on here who watched him when they were growing up make out he is one of the best players we've ever had.

He was a good player for us in general, but he was a player who could occasionally be sensational, but was also very erratic and inconsistent.

I definitely wouldn't put him in the category as our best forwards in my time. Vardy, Lineker, Worthington and A. Smith are the best forwards we've had in my time. Heskey is one of the best forwards we've had in the next category down, absolutely. But he's definitely not in that same category as those other 4 and neither was he ever consitently close to being at the level Barnes has been for us this season.

As for Joachim, he was exciting in the Second Division because we hadn't had a player with that explosive pace for ages, but Barnes is clearly several levels above him.

Yeah but you’re judging that from an era of seeing Smith, Lineker and Worthington. Many on here did not see that era and so Heskey, is just behind Vardy for them.

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Premier League Only

Not sure what you're responding to here or how that is relevant - if you're comparing them 18 then yes Heskey was better as Barnes was playing in the youth team still, but don't see how any of that is relevant to making him better than Barnes now though. Or whether or not saying "Barnes is the best thing to come out of youth system since Heskey" is talking down Barnes or not by saying Barnes has not yet surpassed the level Heskey was for us, when for me he quite clearly has.

Edited by Sampson

13 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not sure what you're responding to here or how that is relevant - if you're comparing them 18 then yes Heskey was better as Barnes was playing in the youth team still, but don't see how any of that is relevant to making him better than Barnes now though. Or whether or not saying "Barnes is the best thing to come out of youth system since Heskey" is talking down Barnes or not by saying Barnes has not yet surpassed the level Heskey was for us, when for me he quite clearly has.

Because it’s not clear is it, he hasn’t even passed the numbers of an 18 year old Heskey playing in mid table team yet. Let alone doing it consistently.

29 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because it’s not clear is it, he hasn’t even passed the numbers of an 18 year old Heskey playing in mid table team yet. Let alone doing it consistently.

Come off it, you know very well that's crap. You're holding onto Heskey being better solely based solely on the fact Barnes still has well over 1/3 of a season left. Unless he gets injured for the majority of this season though or goes on a massive drought for the next 14 games it's pretty clear Barnes will outdo any of Heskey's seasons though. If Barnes is consistently shit for the next 14 games then yes you might have a point.

But regardless, Barnes' performances have clearly been more consistent this season than Heskey's ever were.

Edited by Sampson

1 hour ago, LCFCJ said:

he has always been extremely fast I just don't think he ever had the confidence in the spell under puel when we recalled him back from WBA to actually run at defenders and utilise it 

I'm not sure if he was always incredibly fast, I might be wrong though, I certainly never thought of Barnes as being potentially as one of the quickest players in the Premier League. If anything I thought of him as someone who was good at long range shots, something he seems to do less of now. 

It was his young age that that made Heskey amazing. He made world class defenders look like toys during that 96/97 season. 

When Heskey was in full song at 19 there was no team in the world that could handle him. I don't think I've seen an academy graduate have such an impact since at such a young age and possibly will never again. 

He regressed into a 62 capped full international. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Come off it, you know very well that's crap. You're holding onto Heskey being better solely based solely on the fact Barnes still has well over 1/3 of a season left. Unless he gets injured for the majority of this season though or goes on a massive drought for the next 14 games it's pretty clear Barnes will outdo any of Heskey's seasons though. If Barnes is consistently shit for the next 14 games then yes you might have a point.

But regardless, Barnes' performances have clearly been more consistent this season than Heskey's ever were.

It's not crap, Barnes need to beat his numbers and then do it again next season. Then there is a discussion to be had. If we are making bold statement about x y z player then I'll measure it in years and not months. 

It's also relative, what would Heskey have done in this team? Let alone a 23 year old Heskey. 

And just to clarify, I've only joined this since you said "Barnes is clearly better than Heskey was and much better than Joachim." I have no idea how this started or what else has been said. 

• Like 1