Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

15 hours ago, Sampson said:

He's on 9 PL goals now, Maddison on 8 now. If you look at all the players who've ever got double-figures for us in the PL they'd be in great company if they got there. All are pretty unanimously well-loved by Leicester fans.

24 - Vardy 15/16

23 - Vardy 19/20

20 - Vardy - 17/18

18 - Vardy - 18/19

17 - Mahrez - 15/16

13 - Cottee - 99/00

13 - Vardy - 16/17

12 - Claridge - 96/97

12 - Ferdinand - 03/04

12 - Mahrez - 17/18

12 - Vardy - 20/21*
11 - Dickov - 03/04

11 - Ulloa - 14/15

10 - Cottee - 98/99

10 - Heskey - 96/97

10 - Heskey - 97/98

Vardy got 20 league goals in that 17/18 team??? Jeeez, that’s insane lol

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A new contract will surely be coming his way in the next 6 months? 3 years left on his current one which is a decent amount of time, but we want to tie him down long term.

Genuinely been world class this season, long may it continue.

Yeah there'll be a new 5 year deal on 80k a week +

48 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Vardy got 20 league goals in that 17/18 team??? Jeeez, that’s insane lol

Felt like the back end of that season we lost 2-1 every week, Vardy consolation on around 80 minutes.

Doubtless it only happened once but it felt like a perpetual nightmare.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, shade said:

Can't help but notice the lack of left wing idiots there, need some for balance surely!

Wasn't suggesting they were idiots, just giving the counter argument with some examples of the types of towering intellects that we also have in society. Not sure if any of them support Leicester. 

Every time he gets the ball you get excited. He's improved so much this season and just keeps impressing in different ways. Others have mentioned the touch from the cross field ball and the anticipation for his goal - I don't think I've seen that from him before. 

We will be fending people off in summer if he keeps playing this well until May.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Probably the most exciting academy product we've had since Joachim. Heskey was sensational buy in a powerful and direct way. Joachim had the skill as well as pace and Barnes is similar. Absolutely loving it.

People don't half overrate second division and mid-table players from when they were younger on here.

Barnes is clearly better than Heskey was and much better than Joachim. 

We haven't had an academy product like Barnes since Lineker.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sampson said:

People don't half overrate second division and mid-table players from when they were younger on here.

We haven't had an academy like Barnes since Lineker.

I find Heskey mainly under-rated

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

I find Heskey mainly under-rated

In general football circles I'd agree. But on here he's massively overrated. A lot of people on here who watched him when they were growing up make out he is one of the best players we've ever had.

He was a good player for us in general, but he was a player who could occasionally be sensational, but was also very erratic and inconsistent.

I definitely wouldn't put him in the category as our best forwards in my time. Vardy, Lineker, Worthington and A. Smith are the best forwards we've had in my time. Heskey is one of the best forwards we've had in the next category down, absolutely. But he's definitely not in that same category as those other 4 and neither was he ever consitently close to being at the level Barnes has been for us this season.

As for Joachim, he was exciting in the Second Division because we hadn't had a player with that explosive pace for ages, but Barnes is clearly several levels above him.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

Barnes seemed to physically develop all of a sudden a few years back. When he was a teenager I don't remember him being thought of as the pacey direct player that he his now. 

I think that physical development is key a lot of the time and it's not a given that it will happen with the complexities of genetics. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sampson said:

In general football circles I'd agree. But on here he's massively overrated. People on here make out he is one of the best players we've ever had.

He was a very goof player for us, but he was a player who could occasionally be sensational, but was also very erratic and inconsistent.

I definitely wouldn't put him in the category as our best forwards in my time. Vardy, Lineker, Worthington and A. Smith are the best forwards we've had in my time. Heskey is one of the best forwards we've had in the next category down, absolutely. But he's definitely not in that same category as those other 4 and neither was he ever at the level Barnes has been for us this season.

Melrose mate. Don’t forget him. 

As for Heskey, you could tell when he walked out the tunnel if he was going to turn up. Usually once out of every 3 or 4 games. Then he was unplayable. 

20 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

What a great player we’ve got on our hands, where are last seasons grumblers now? They’ve gone very quiet, championship player.....yeah ok 😊🦊

The Barnes grumbling was always unjustified because you could see what he was trying to do it just wasn't always paying off. 

It's one thing being disappointed with a player or not rating them, but everyone with sense could see it was only a matter of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Barnes is better this season for not having Chilwell at left back. For some reason Chilwell never liked to pass it Barnes on a regular occurrence and unlike his understanding with Justin and Thomas, Barnes and Chilwell never seem to complement each other.

I always had the impression that Chilwell never wanted Barnes to steal his thunder. I might be totally wrong but that was still my impression.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Barnes is better this season for not having Chilwell at left back. For some reason Chilwell never liked to pass it Barnes on a regular occurrence and unlike his understanding with Justin and Thomas, Barnes and Chilwell never seem to complement each other.

Whilst this isn't entirely fair on chilwell he never helped get the best out of Barnes. You always felt Chilwell's first thought was to carry ball into the space where Barnes was where's JJ and Thomas want to get the ball to Barnes early.

24 minutes ago, Sampson said:

We haven't had an academy product like Barnes since Lineker.

Nonsense. Do you even remember Heskey when he burst onto the scene? 
He was fantastic a real powerhouse and you are doing him a great disservice.

Barnes is excellent and has silenced his critics and I hope he goes onto achieve more in his career than Emile did but as of yet he hasn’t.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Nonsense. Do you even remember Heskey when he burst onto the scene? 
He was fantastic a real powerhouse and you are doing him a great disservice.

Barnes is excellent and has silenced his critics and I hope he goes onto achieve more in his career than Emile did but as of yet he hasn’t.

Yes I remember him and like a lot of youngsters - like Barnes last season in fact, he could be sensational in patches and streaks but never had the consistency for us that Barnes had this season.

I hope Barnes goes onto achieve more than Heskey too and obviously he hasn't yet, but at the same time, Heskey never had anywhere near as good a season as Barnes is having at the moment for us. You could maybe argue his first season at Liverpool was as good, but for us Barnes is clearly far more consistent and better than Heskey ever was for us.

It's hardly nonsense. It's the same from the team when I was a kid though, people still romanticise the Bloomfield era I watched growing up, as if they were better than the current side, despite the fact we were largely bottom half also-rans in that period and went on some of the worst runs in the club's history outside a single season. Pretty sure the longest run without a win in the club's history still stands from the Bloomfield era. Don't get me wrong I loved those eras and the players at the time, but when people try to claim those players were better than our sides of the past 5 or 6 years it's clearly favouring nostalgia over the actual quality of the players. People only remember the good games from past players and it puts them out of all proportion when comparing with current players because they forgot the poor or forgettable games or the inconsistencies. 

Edited by Sampson