Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

League 1 and 2 Thread, 2019/2020

42 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

At this rate Bolton will be in a fight to stay in the division. Think they lost to York in a friendly other day, the one against local rivals Preston was cancelled and I've just looked on their site to see a first team page of 6 players if that.

Phil Parkinson does seem to know that division, on the other hand, though.

And only 1 of those hasn't handed in their notice.

17 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Tough times for some teams. I certainly can relate.

Curious if you've seen the new fivethirtyeight world club rankings (they've added more lower professional leagues).  Notts are looking up at the whole world, except for Yeovil and a USL club.

538bottom.JPG.6b2018e737183b674c1563f473dc146a.JPG

Not that I would take efforts to compare League Two, Argentine and USL clubs too seriously.  But even if you do, nowhere to go but up!

15 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Curious if you've seen the new fivethirtyeight world club rankings (they've added more lower professional leagues).  Notts are looking up at the whole world, except for Yeovil and a USL club.

538bottom.JPG.6b2018e737183b674c1563f473dc146a.JPG

Not that I would take efforts to compare League Two, Argentine and USL clubs too seriously.  But even if you do, nowhere to go but up!

There is one other way to go, unfortunately ;)

In about 10 days time, Notts may not even exist.

23 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

There is one other way to go, unfortunately ;)

In about 10 days time, Notts may not even exist.

I didn't realize liquidation (as opposed to sale or restructuring) was such a strong possibility.  Hanging on the decision of a judge then?

Anyway, wrong thread I guess.

Edited by KingsX

23 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I didn't realize liquidation (as opposed to sale or restructuring) was such a strong possibility.  Hanging on the decision of a judge then?

Anyway, wrong thread I guess.

Well, been told by Hardy a sale is coming. We.... are.... still.... waiting....for.... that. 

I'll post the article in the Non League thread.

League 1 looks stacked of teams that were successful in the not so distant past, once again.

Hope to see Ipswich get their act together and finish in top 2 of League 1, but it looks more likely Sunderland and Portsmouth and even Coventry, Peterborough, Rotherham etc will be ahead of the Tractor Boys.

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros

14 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Rotherham seem like they are stuck in limbo. Do well in L1, get promoted and get their asses handed to them in Championship.

Sometimes I wonder, at what point as a supporter do you start to root against promotion? lol

Yep, their near neighbours Barnsley are the same.

And in League 1/2 Wycombe did the very same for years!

Troubling times for Bury too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49110053

It must be tough for teams in the North West, so many football league/premier league teams in such a geographically compact area. It will only get tougher for the smaller clubs to stay in the football league, especially when you consider kids have the alternative choice of either one of the biggest clubs in the world or one of the best teams in the world at their doorstep in Manchester.

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Troubling times for Bury too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49110053

It must be tough for teams in the North West, so many football league/premier league teams in such a geographically compact area. It will only get tougher for the smaller clubs to stay in the football league, especially when you consider kids have the alternative choice of either one of the biggest clubs in the world or one of the best teams in the world at their doorstep in Manchester.

Plenty of clubs do fine with lower attendances, but like with bury if you chuck money at players wages that you can't afford the inevitable happens.

Bury's opening League One game, at home to Milton Keynes Dons on Saturday, has been suspended - but Bolton Wanderers' match at Wycombe can go ahead.

The Shakers failed to meet Monday's 17:00 BST deadline set by the English Football League to provide evidence of the club's financial viability.

However, the EFL said it had suspended the game "reluctantly".

Bolton's submissions satisfied the EFL that they can meet the requirements of the league, with a takeover expected.

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

?

Bury got promoted from League Two in May, despite constant concerns in the same season that the club's future looked (and still obviously even more now) very uncertain.

Plus the fact their manager Ryan Lowe moved on to Plymouth, and some of their players have left already this summer.

It'll be extremely difficult for them to properly plan for the new season ahead in League One with all of them going on and no stability.

1 minute ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Bury got promoted from League Two in May, despite constant concerns in the same season that the club's future looked (and still obviously even more now) very uncertain.

Plus the fact their manager Ryan Lowe moved on to Plymouth, and some of their players have left already this summer.

It'll be extremely difficult for them to properly plan for the new season ahead in League One with all of them going on and no stability.

I know that, I don't see why they shouldn't have been promoted. What was to stop them?

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I know that, I don't see why they shouldn't have been promoted. What was to stop them?

Good point to be fair.

But they've been struggling to pay HMRC all that season over some due tax bill/s, and personally feel that the Football League should've docked them points in that same season and not this one coming up soon and make them stay in League Two (giving the promotion to the club that finished the next position to them etc) as punishment for not sorting their troubles out ASAP.

Bolton travelling to Wycombe with only 3 senior outfield players.

Of course there could be a surprise result, but if it's a heavy win for Wycombe you have to question why the game was not called off.