Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SuperMike

Madness!

It’s an interesting topic, especially picking over the current twitching corpse that is Man Utd.I asked a question on the "caf"today about where it has gone wrong, I posed that they had neglected their Academy but had then failed to reinforce their scouting to take up the slack, something linked to the Glazers.

But they felt it had been a far steeper decline, a much more recent problem, quite what was unclear mind.

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

:appl:

You can see this effect already with Manchester United. They've neglected their own academy and relied on buying their solutions. Now they find that everyone is whacking on a "Man United tax" onto their players and they find themselves in quite the downward spiral. 

The only downside for me is that Man City are still top dogs despite having spent their way to success. They play great football, but I do feel like they cheated their way to success. 

Actually, Man Utd's academy is pretty great, especially their vicious scouting system for young talent. Nicky Butt has done an ok job. Utd's problem lies elsewhere, with Woodward and the Glazers, who seem unable to coherently run a football club.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s an interesting topic, especially picking over the current twitching corpse that is Man Utd.I asked a question on the "caf"today about where it has gone wrong, I posed that they had neglected their Academy but had then failed to reinforce their scouting to take up the slack, something linked to the Glazers.

But they felt it had been a far steeper decline, a much more recent problem, quite what was unclear mind.

The problem has always been there, they just had the greatest manager in the world to cover over it. The Glazers essentially let Ferguson do whatever he wanted, which worked fine, but after losing him, they lost the heart of literally all their club's operations and facets. They haven't yet figured out how to competently run a football club in the modern era without him. This is undeniably hilarious as the solution is very easy (get a DOF, give a manager time, etc) but they seem unable to fathom it. Long may their fall continue (although I suspect it will soon correct itself once hiring a DOF, much to my chagrin)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The problem has always been there, they just had the greatest manager in the world to cover over it. The Glazers essentially let Ferguson do whatever he wanted, which worked fine, but after losing him, they lost the heart of literally all their club's operations and facets. They haven't yet figured out how to competently run a football club in the modern era without him. This is undeniably hilarious as the solution is very easy (get a DOF, give a manager time, etc) but they seem unable to fathom it. Long may their fall continue (although I suspect it will soon correct itself once hiring a DOF, much to my chagrin)

Suspect you may be right. It’s weird, perhaps because I am so used to Man Utd being successful, and not because of (just) money, I do feel a slight pity for them, especially in the face of all the "new money".

However, I am sure my slight case of pity will pass.

Extremely quickly should they get `Harry or Youri.  :mad:

21 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Actually, Man Utd's academy is pretty great, especially their vicious scouting system for young talent. Nicky Butt has done an ok job. Utd's problem lies elsewhere, with Woodward and the Glazers, who seem unable to coherently run a football club.

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U21&co=16&se=217

I'd beg to differ. Man United's youth team isn't in the top division of the Premier League 2, in fact they are nearer the bottom of the second division. Their academy is nowhere near as good as it was when Fergie was around. Yes it's still good, but when a club like Leicester statistically have a better academy than you, and you are a team famous for the "class of 92" and no longer have many youth team players in your team, I'd say standard have slipped pretty badly.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?team=U21&co=16&se=217

I'd beg to differ. Man United's youth team isn't in the top division of the Premier League 2, in fact they are nearer the bottom of the second division. Their academy is nowhere near as good as it was when Fergie was around. Yes it's still good, but when a club like Leicester statistically have a better academy than you, and you are a team famous for the "class of 92" and no longer have many youth team players in your team, I'd say standard have slipped pretty badly.

I'm of the opinion that the division of the PL2 that an academy finds itself in doesn't necessarily have a great effect on the quality of academy products. As long as you don't care about quantitative output, but qualitative output (as bigger clubs would - they want the best young players possible so integrating them into the first team is no hassle, which means they prioritise that over the inclusivity of their academy structure). The difference in quality between the PL2 divisions may actually not be that large, but by ignoring where they are in the "youth pyramid" and focusing solely on player development, United can give the most gametime and subsequently nurture the brightest, youngest talents. 

This is all in theory, and makes no difference if youth isn't utilised by the club. 

5 hours ago, oxford blue said:

To stop a transfer happening - Man U ready to offer Pogba £500,000 a week

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7151589/Manchester-United-prepare-offer-unsettled-Paul-Pogba-500-000-week-Old-Trafford.html

Now that is madness! No doubt other players wiould also consider they are worth nore money , so would cost even more than the additional £10m a year for Pogba

No way in a billion years is he worth that, I’ve watched him both times in the premier league and he’s just so over rated. They’d be better off signing bale and someone like YT and getting rid of pogba.

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

No way in a billion years is he worth that, I’ve watched him both times in the premier league and he’s just so over rated. They’d be better off signing bale and someone like YT and getting rid of pogba.

Go wash your mouth out with soap and beg forgiveness. they cant have Youri he's ours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, oxford blue said:

To stop a transfer happening - Man U ready to offer Pogba £500,000 a week

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7151589/Manchester-United-prepare-offer-unsettled-Paul-Pogba-500-000-week-Old-Trafford.html

Now that is madness! No doubt other players wiould also consider they are worth nore money , so would cost even more than the additional £10m a year for Pogba

If this is true and United can't see that Pogba is part of the problem, rather than the solution, then that club really is being run by idiots! If I was in charge at United and anyone bid close to what they paid for him, he'd be out the door tomorrow! 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Who would take Pogba now though? If the bloke's ego is too big for Man Utd (despite his lacklustre season) then is there any club who can realistically expect him to put any effort in?

Real and Juventus would both take him. PSG probably would, too.

Bonkers, complete Bonkers.....

image.png.adfa567ac537c1afc540e392c69cc34c.png

You may not have heard but Aston Villa are prepared to pay a hundred quid for this guy, Willie Groves, from West Brom!

In fact, he may go for more than 100!!!!  Madness....................  

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Who would take Pogba now though? If the bloke's ego is too big for Man Utd (despite his lacklustre season) then is there any club who can realistically expect him to put any effort in?

48 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Real and Juventus would both take him. PSG probably would, too.

That’s the problem with these absurd mega money deals - if it all goes wrong only a select few clubs can afford you. If none of them want you, what then?!

46 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

The latest absolutely mental one I seen today is Bournemouth valuing David Brooks at £50m amid Man Utd interest.  A very good player but £50m come on!

Fair play to them. 

If they value him at a ridiculous price and a club are stupid enough to pay it it's win win.

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

The latest absolutely mental one I seen today is Bournemouth valuing David Brooks at £50m amid Man Utd interest.  A very good player but £50m come on!

Not sure it's anymore mental than us valuing Maddison at £60m +, arguably Brooks had a better season than him as well! There's just less fanfare about Brooks than Maddison.

• Like 3