Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Scunthorpe (A) Match Thread

10 hours ago, Fox1970 said:

Without wanting to seem an ultra-anorak, the history and origins of place names is something I have had an academic interest in for some time yet.

Scunthorpe has nothing to do with the C-word - the name originated from a farmstead belonging to someone called Skuma.  So Scunthorpe was Skumathorp, then evolved into Skumthorp (!!), and changed slowly to Scunthorpe.

Thanks for that (I have a similar nerdy interest in the etymology of words and phrases :)) but according to Wikipedia, the original name was actually Escumesthorpe (Old Norse for Skuma's homestead) which is how it is listed in the Doomsday Book.

It's Wiki, though, so... you know

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scunthorpe

10 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Unnamed trialiast goal lol **** me, retire hurt now palace, I thought that shit only ever happened in the original football manager. lol 

Do the crowd sing "one unnamed trialist, there's only one unnamed trialist" etc ?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Analysethis said:

So who else was missing for us from last nights two teams.

Kasper

Ward

Chilwell

Benkovic

Hamza

James

Silva

Ndidi

Maddison

Gray

Barnes

Kapustka

Slimani

Diabete

I think the squad needs a slight trim LOL

Is this mean Silva, Kapustka and Diabate not going to be in Leicester roster?

How many players can play for Leicester in season?

12 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Pleased to hear that.

But I'm always surprised that people are surprised that he plays well (not you with this comment, necessarily....but generally he's not rated by fans)

He's a tidy, clever and extremely fit midfielder. A player's player, imo

I completely agree! 

Very good first half with Perez, Ricardo & Leshabela standing out and the rest very comfortable, 2nd half a bit disjointed and the midfield just didn’t create anything, Elder, King, Ghezzal & Muskwe won’t be near the first team but thought Knight did well when he came on.....:thumbup:

Looking at our squad and it needs massively trimming to be honest... :scarf:

• Like 1

Elder is an odd one, he is older than most of our first team and never gets a sniff. The 2 year contract is odd. 

But we definitely need to trim the squad, otherwise players like James and King will be stealing pre-season minutes from people that will actually play or have more of a future with us.

1 minute ago, Foxxed said:

@rachhere How did Josh do?

I was watching this one online - will see the next match in person. From what I could see, he seemed confident enough when he came on, although hard act to follow in CDM as Papy had a great first half. Not sure it really plays to his strengths playing him in that position, but hey! Hopefully he will get more of an opportunity to play against Cheltenham. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm a bit baffled. Ghezzal is by no means great or my favourite player, but he seemed more busy and productive than anyone else 2nd half. Had I not watched the game, some comments on here would lead me to believe he did nothing - it rather suggests that people sometimes watch with a pre-conceived notion of players, which I'm quite sure we all do to a degree, but come on.

I'm surprised by the degree of negativity directed at Ghezzal. To be honest I haven't seen much of him playing , but the boy does have some talent. Didn't he score in his first couple of games?. Maybe BR can improve his play, he certainly wouldn't be my choice for first out of the door.   

13 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm a bit baffled. Ghezzal is by no means great or my favourite player, but he seemed more busy and productive than anyone else 2nd half. Had I not watched the game, some comments on here would lead me to believe he did nothing - it rather suggests that people sometimes watch with a pre-conceived notion of players, which I'm quite sure we all do to a degree, but come on.

....you know that this is his level. The majority if not all the players will improve he will continue to be the same!!!!

He refuse to attack any space infront of him, constantly doing a 360... waiting for support even though others are breaking and are ahead of him.He can not beat a man....and yes, this is just for match fitness' but he was constantly replicating all the performances we have previously seen from him. If he was bought to play on the right Wing I can not understand how we could have got this so wrong!!!!

Honestly if I only listened to foxestalk instead of busting my hump to find any way of watching our matches I can't quite imagine the hatred I would have for some players already. Ghezzal and Justin were literally the only bright sparks in attack in that second half but for foxestalk that's not good enough. He has to score a hat trick otherwise no good. Quite frankly don't comment much on this forum but I guess I just felt too strongly about it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Max Power said:

What shape did we play? Same as last season with Pérez on the right? 

Similar shape to last season.

4-3-3 / 4-1-4-1 :scarf:

Jakupovic

Pereira, Evans, Soyuncu, Fuchs

Mendy

Perez, Leshabela, Tielemans, Albrighton

Vardy

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Huli said:

Is this mean Silva, Kapustka and Diabate not going to be in Leicester roster?

How many players can play for Leicester in season?

Im not sure exactly but it was 25 squad players for which 8 had to be "Home Grown" meaning having been at our club for at least 3 years. I dont think academy players need to be registered in the 25.

My point was we have far too many players on our books now and are still linked to more. Worryingly some are a little older and past there best. I hope we get shot of Silva, Slimani, James, King (sorry Andy!!) along with at least Kapustka and Diabete.

1 minute ago, Analysethis said:

Im not sure exactly but it was 25 squad players for which 8 had to be "Home Grown" meaning having been at our club for at least 3 years. I dont think academy players need to be registered in the 25.

My point was we have far too many players on our books now and are still linked to more. Worryingly some are a little older and past there best. I hope we get shot of Silva, Slimani, James, King (sorry Andy!!) along with at least Kapustka and Diabete.

Kapustka is injured, so I can’t see him leaving this summer. Cruciate ligament so could be out for a while.

9 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Home grown means that a player was registered to an English or Welsh club for at least 3 years between the ages of 16 and 21. We have plenty of those so we shouldn't be concerned about that.

You are right that we can only name 25 senior players to play in the Premier League, with anyone born in 1998 or later counting as an U21 (you can have unlimited U21s). James Justin is the only first team player that we can put on that list now.

Currently, we have 38 players born in 97 or earlier, including the likes of Hughes, Knight, Loft, Moore, Uche and Iversen who could all remain at the club and just not be registered.

A reminder that every international window remains open until the start of September, and League 1 and League 2 clubs also have until the end of August. It's only PL and Championship clubs bound by the 8th August for incomings, so we'll need to be patient in waiting for the squad to be trimmed down.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

Thanks

7 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Home grown means that a player was registered to an English or Welsh club for at least 3 years between the ages of 16 and 21. We have plenty of those so we shouldn't be concerned about that.

You are right that we can only name 25 senior players to play in the Premier League, with anyone born in 1998 or later counting as an U21 (you can have unlimited U21s). James Justin is the only first team player that we can put on that list now.

Currently, we have 38 players born in 97 or earlier, including the likes of Hughes, Knight, Loft, Moore, Uche and Iversen who could all remain at the club and just not be registered.

A reminder that every international window remains open until the start of September, and League 1 and League 2 clubs also have until the end of August. It's only PL and Championship clubs bound by the 8th August for incomings, so we'll need to be patient in waiting for the squad to be trimmed down.

interesting.

Do you know how many senior players we have to fit into the 25 spots - at the moment?

13 minutes ago, Huli said:

Thanks

interesting.

Do you know how many senior players we have to fit into the 25 spots - at the moment?

Assuming that Loft, Uche, Knight, Hughes, Iversen, George Thomas and Moore won't be listed - it's 31 seniors.

If we add another 2 players (e.g. winger and a midfielder) then we'd need to shift at least 8 players, most likely to be:

Kapustka (injury pending)

Elder

Diabate

Silva

Slimani

King

James

Ghezzal

It's not always guaranteed we'll get rid of enough players. We had King, Benalouane and Elder around for the first half of last season, they simply weren't registered but could have appeared in the cups still.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Assuming that Loft, Uche, Knight, Hughes, Iversen, George Thomas and Moore won't be listed - it's 31 seniors.

If we add another 2 players (e.g. winger and a midfielder) then we'd need to shift at least 8 players, most likely to be:

Kapustka (injury pending)

Elder

Diabate

Silva

Slimani

King

James

Ghezzal

It's not always guaranteed we'll get rid of enough players. We had King, Benalouane and Elder around for the first half of last season, they simply weren't registered but could have appeared in the cups still.

Thanks. Leicester really need to start moving some players then. Perhaps bargain prices.