Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Scunthorpe (A) Match Thread

21 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Excellent football first half but should've been more ruthless in front of goal. Second half side clearly lacking, Ghezzal best player in the half and Amartey was solid. Justin a bit inconsistent. 

Difference in midfield is noticeable and a shame Muskwe barely got a kick all half. 

Ghezzal the best player in the half? I thought Justin was better to be honest.

• Like 1

Don't compare the 2 Half's.

It could be Rodgers ,put out ,2 different

Approaches and tactics.Not only the teams.  One should ask,how would this and that individual  player faired in the

Other selection.!!! Plus Rodgers won't go to mental extremes,has the posters on this forum...He will experiment,he will hold back,he will group one set,then change and pick n mix it several times!

This was first to grow match fitness

Mentally & physically.plus squad bonding ,He will  look at young and known fringe players,but not from the fans angle or pre-thoughts or conceptions..Very important a few players were missing .This was never a game where individuals were going to be judged on performance.!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Only a friendly against Scunthorpe but some of the movement and passing in the first half was really good to watch.

I thought Leshabela looked confident and was really positive, I would love to see him get more game time this preseason. Will there ever be a way back for Nacho and Ghezzal? Soyuncu wasn’t really tested but looked good on the ball likewise Mendy. Nice to see Amartey playing again!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

Perez will likely score more goals but I think he and Youri are nailed on to finish within 10-15 points of each other given Youri’s assists. 

Barnes is a distant 3rd for me. 

I wouldn’t even think about Vardy or Ricardo until after GW 4-5 and using your wild card. 

I kind of agree as we have a difficult start but for me Vardy is pretty much fixture proof. Might hold off on the others though. Also, if I don't have at least one leicester player i hate myself and want to die. X 

1 hour ago, justfoxes said:

When they Named Scunthorpe did they actually look and say that’s a great name for a town but not actually see the Cnut or they did But just kept it to take the pi55 ?!

Without wanting to seem an ultra-anorak, the history and origins of place names is something I have had an academic interest in for some time yet.

Scunthorpe has nothing to do with the C-word - the name originated from a farmstead belonging to someone called Skuma.  So Scunthorpe was Skumathorp, then evolved into Skumthorp (!!), and changed slowly to Scunthorpe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Elder, Ghezzal and Kingy can definitely all be moved on. Kelechi at least put himself about a bit tonight so will reserve judgment for now. 

Leshabela looked good, would be a good candidate for a loan - likewise Knight and Muskwe.

The entire first half team were brilliant and in truth could and should have scored more. We’re so blessed to have Ricky P, genuinely in the top 10 right backs in the world right now, maybe higher. 

Roll on Cheltenham! 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I kind of agree as we have a difficult start but for me Vardy is pretty much fixture proof. Might hold off on the others though. Also, if I don't have at least one leicester player i hate myself and want to die. X 

In that case I would go with Perez or Tielemans rather than Ricardo or Vardy. Can always go back to them once striker values and midfield values get sorted out. 

6 minutes ago, Fox1970 said:

Without wanting to seem an ultra-anorak, the history and origins of place names is something I have had an academic interest in for some time yet.

Scunthorpe has nothing to do with the C-word - the name originated from a farmstead belonging to someone called Skuma.  So Scunthorpe was Skumathorp, then evolved into Skumthorp (!!), and changed slowly to Scunthorpe.

In which case I really hope Chris Kamara still does Soccer Saturday when it eventually evolves into Skumcnut. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Pleased to hear that.

But I'm always surprised that people are surprised that he plays well (not you with this comment, necessarily....but generally he's not rated by fans)

He's a tidy, clever and extremely fit midfielder. A player's player, imo

Yes but when we have all players available he will struggle to get in the match day squad this year so unfortunately will probably be moved on unless he is happy to be a bit part player !!!!

13 minutes ago, Gforce19 said:

Yes but when we have all players available he will struggle to get in the match day squad this year so unfortunately will probably be moved on unless he is happy to be a bit part player !!!!

Don't disagree. 

Bit any decent team needs, say 16 players of first team.level to a account for form, injuries, suspension, substitutions and tactics.

Even not as a first choice, Mendy will probably start 10 matches and appear as sub in 20+ next season.

And as the previous poster says, he's  nailed on to start the season to cover for Wilf

1 hour ago, lcfceaves said:

It is first preseason game, cannot draw many conclusions from them. 

The only thing I noticed tonight that I hadn't before (somehow), is Ghezzal… never... goes forward... Always has his back to play, passes backwards (sideways at best). He never takes a player on. It is a shame, because he has a good touch, can pass, can take a decent set-piece, and in general has good technique, but he never turns when he receives the ball and goes forward... and it slows everything down. If Brendan cannot get a change out of him or feels he can't, I cannot see how he gets a game for us in future. As frustrating as Gray is, at least he tries to be positive and runs at people...

Anyway, other than that, its all about minutes in the tank/shaking off summer rust!

Classic sign of a player low in confidence, rather than try something he just wants to make sure he doesn’t lose the ball, play the easy back pass.

Its almost like he’s been booed by his own fans just for coming on or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

Classic sign of a player low in confidence, rather than try something he just wants to make sure he doesn’t lose the ball, play the easy back pass.

Its almost like he’s been booed by his own fans just for coming on or something.

It's not entirely true either, people often choose just not to see the positive moves in a player they feel negatively about.

• Thanks 1