Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Transfer Jealousy

The closest one I am to 'jealous' is Sarr but even then I'm not too bothered. Brendan clearly didn't want a winger. If he did we'd have bought one, simple as. We had the money, there were plenty of players out there to be bought at reasonable prices but we didn't want them. In Brendan I trust. 

To explain, this thread wasn't aimed at putting down our own business as such.

But it's always interesting to look at other Premier League clubs business and think "I can see them doing well there, I wonder why we weren't in the mix?" especially as this is a forum to debate things like this. 

To give a couple of examples that have caught my eye;  

• Craig Dawson to Watford for £5.5 million - solid defender and professional, had a relationship with Evans, danger from set-pieces. 
  • Adam Webster to Brighton for £20 million - at the time, I felt Brighton were paying over the odds for a defender untested at Premier League level, but the more I consider it, the more I feel they've done well in taking the punt. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs as the season progresses. 
  • Philip Billing to Bournemouth for £15 million - looked a talent for Huddersfield and can see him flourishing at Bournemouth. We were probably too well stocked ourselves in this position to take a real interest, but in other circumstances I would have liked us to take a chance on him.
  • Che Adams to Southampton for £15 million - Similar to the Billing situation, we're probably ok for strikers with Vardy and Nacho and young Hirst Jnr belatedly joining the club as a development option. But it does feel like this could have been a good option for us in terms of a long term Vardy replacement, much like...
  • Neil Maupay to Brighton for £20 million - I've really liked the look of what I've seen from Maupay whilst at Brentford and it's clear their scouting team have a decent eye for developing players. I think this will prove to be an astute purchase for Brighton and wouldn't be surprised if we eventually take a closer look at him in a couple of seasons time. 

I'd welcome your thoughts / comments on the names above. 

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

I'm envious of every club that has signed a winger that knows where the net is. Honestly don't think we'll score enough goals next season.

Vards, Perez, Tielemans, Maddison, Ric... we have got a lot of sources now, bearing in mind this time last year we were stressing because we had lost Mahrez who was the source of so many of our goals. I am confident Harvey will start scoring more too.

• Like 2

Just now, DJ Barry Hammond said:
  • Che Adams to Southampton for £15 million - Similar to the Billing situation, we're probably ok for strikers with Vardy and Nacho and young Hirst Jnr belatedly joining the club as a development option. But it does feel like this could have been a good option for us in terms of a longterm Vardy replacement, much like..

Actually, Che is the one that got away for me - considering his links to Leicester you would imagine he would have been happy staying in the midlands. Hopefully we will look back in time and see it made sense, but I think he would have been great to get in as an understudy.

• Like 3

Geniune jealousy, very little of. I like all of Spurs' signings (assuming Sessegnon and Lo Celso go through too), especially Ndombele who could be one of the greatest midfielders of our time, but I'm not really jealous of any of that - they are a tier or two above us in terms of attracting players. I am actually only jealous of two signings, after reflection: Haller, who is much better than Perez as a second striker, and Trossard, an awesome looking winger. Very happy with how things turned out however.

• Like 1

Only one would be sarr, not really because of the signing, but more that Watford have got 3 decent winger options and now added another. They were very good up until they got into their fa cup semi and slowly fell apart, but their business looks understated but improved them. Would expect them to have a good season 

36 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

He was arguably their best player towards the end of the season, scored some important goals as Juve were faltering a little (I say faltering, but they still had a 10/15 point lead) but only for a short spell. Difficult to see whether it's a purple patch in a fantastic side, or genuine talent, but i'd have loved him to come here. For every Michael Owen and co there are countless failures of bright young players at big clubs doing nothing, be interesting to see how it goes! 

I suppose regardless who he plays for, that goals per game record is class for a lad his age. I wonder if the whole racism stuff from last season has anything to do with him leaving this year?

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I was jealous of Brighton buying Jahanbakhsh last season and look how that turned out.

That's actually a very good point lol though I wonder if he may still yet come good but that's a fair point.

4 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Youri Tielemans is our marquee signing and he is better than any other player any other club in England have signed this summer ! 

This . I would have been happy just with YT but Justin and Pérez are very shrewd signings too