Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

6 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but how can anyone argue against the obvious bias anymore?

The fact that all the teams have had VAR helping them at some point.

People actually believe that people controlling VAR are in cahoots against the 'smaller' teams?...I mean come on lets be serious here.

The moon landings are real BTW.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

VAR is definitely making football a worse game to watch. Can’t remember a season I’ve enjoyed watching less than this one.

Spot on, same for me aswell. At least when Leicester were doing shit I enjoyed other games, I don’t even enjoy that anymore because it’s just continual bad decisions even whilst using VAR technology. 

• Like 2

Jumped the shark in the West Ham home game for me when it didn’t overturn their penalty.

Personally I think that was a penalty today against us. Praet has made his body bigger and the laws as they (stupidly) are, that’s a penalty.

But we’ve been absolutely screwed over time and again by VAR’s inconsistency with getting involved in anything remotely subjective:

Mane penalty at Anfield

Vardy “dive” against Watford

Ndidi “foul” against West Ham

Mee handball against Burnley

Nakamba handball against Aston Villa.

These are all very clear and obvious errors that haven’t been overturned. There are of course others that we’ve benefited from (and suffered from) that we’ve not had but they’ve tended to be in some way within the realms of subjectivity. There’s no excuse for the ones I’ve listed above and to give a penalty against Praet today after the explanation we got for the non-award of the penalty in the League Cup

semi (as much as I think it was one) really sticks in the craw.

It's understandable that there is no consistency in the decisions when you have somebody different sat behind the TV screens every game. That is something that needs to change without a doubt. However there is no excuse when two similar incidents in the same match watched by the same crook of a referee have different outcomes.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Scrap the whole thing or use it purely for offsides. It’s ruining football for me at the moment, too many variables and it’s purely someones opinion on an incident rather than fact (like offside is). 

I've never fully understood the 'it's ruining football' comments, until today. First Chelsea vs Tottenham, then our first half and the referees turning a blind eye to what should be two penalties. It really kills the joy of watching the game and sucks the life out of you. To think it was supposedly introduced to make the game more fair... Call me naive. As it stands, VAR in the Prem looks like a clever scheme to give comfortable jobs to some of the most incompetent refs in the European football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

I've never fully understood the 'it's ruining football' comments, until today. First Chelsea vs Tottenham, then our first half and the referees turning a blind eye to what should be two penalties. It really kills the joy of watching the game and sucks the life out of you. To think it was supposedly introduced to make the game more fair... Call me naive. As it stands, VAR in the Prem looks like a clever scheme to give comfortable jobs to some of the most incompetent refs in the European football.

Honestly, you can’t even celebrate goals anymore, it’s dragging all the passion out of the game (for me anyway). 

• Like 1

Just now, Unabomber said:

Did VAR even look the de Bruyne handball? Cos if so you make two different decisions for the same incident? Seems very corrupt 

Funny thing is about the De Bruyne incident is that the player should know there is a very high chance that not only is the ball going to come towards you, it might also hit you. Very possibly in the face. There should be less leniency in that situation for what De Bruyne did.

The Praet one, yeah its a penalty but (whoever kicked it at him) could have done anything, passed it, dummied it.

26 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

The fact that all the teams have had VAR helping them at some point.

People actually believe that people controlling VAR are in cahoots against the 'smaller' teams?...I mean come on lets be serious here.

The moon landings are real BTW.

Well like it or not (intentional or not) the bias is clear.

I also said I'm not one for conspiracy theories BTW.