Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FilbertStreet1

Heskey Autobiography

I remember the game he made his debut off the bench, was there at Filbert St.. I don't think I've ever seen a player just completely single handedly pick the game up by the scruff of it's neck and turn it around quite like he did. It was quite a sight, I don't think I had ever seen a player with that kind of presence or physique either. An absolute force to be reckoned with. He was a great player for us, particularly remember how he gelled so well with Collymore as well, like clockwork those two were. 

Last thing I remember about him as a Leicester player is when we beat Derby 4-0 at Pride Park and after the game we were stood outside near the player coaches, he came over to us wearing these big chunky, expensive looking chains around his neck. It started raining and my Dad said "Emile, you'd best get out of the rain or your chains will get rusty!" 

He didn't laugh.

Which made me laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It wasn't his debut at home to Norwich. He made his debut away to QPR the season before in the Premier League and had made several appearances by the time this match came around. 

Speaking of Norwich his first goal for us was away to them 3 or 4 months before the home match. The only goal in a 1-0 victory. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrentFox said:

I remember him coming in at home to Norwich as a second half sub, in what may well have been his debut, and literally terrorising them as he turned the game on its head. I’m not certain, but that may have been the day we appointed  O’Neill, too?? 

3 hours ago, Russell sprout said:

Was 0-2 down and won 3-2😉

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Was that one of those live games you used to get on ITV on a Sunday afternoon? Seem to recall seeing this on TV. 

1 hour ago, TrentFox said:

Not sure. I was at the ground and Heskey basically won the game for us by annihilating their full-back. One of the most impactful debuts ever, for us?? 

I was there too (South Stand Upper Tier naturally). And yes, it was also shown live on Central TV. Darren Eadie opened the scoring for Norwich, and it was Rob Ullathorne's backpass that Heskey latched onto for the winner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, smr said:

I remember the game he made his debut off the bench, was there at Filbert St.. I don't think I've ever seen a player just completely single handedly pick the game up by the scruff of it's neck and turn it around quite like he did. It was quite a sight, I don't think I had ever seen a player with that kind of presence or physique either. An absolute force to be reckoned with. He was a great player for us, particularly remember how he gelled so well with Collymore as well, like clockwork those two were. 

Last thing I remember about him as a Leicester player is when we beat Derby 4-0 at Pride Park and after the game we were stood outside near the player coaches, he came over to us wearing these big chunky, expensive looking chains around his neck. It started raining and my Dad said "Emile, you'd best get out of the rain or your chains will get rusty!" 

He didn't laugh.

Which made me laugh.

Didnt Heskey and Collymore only play 1 game together tho? The 5-2 win over Sunderland. Then we sold Heskey to Liverpool.

Correct me if im wrong but thats my hazy memories of it and i was only a young whipper snapper at the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Didnt Heskey and Collymore only play 1 game together tho? The 5-2 win over Sunderland. Then we sold Heskey to Liverpool.

Correct me if im wrong but thats my hazy memories of it and i was only a young whipper snapper at the time.

You're probably right, it's that game that comes to mind of them two, that back flick from Heskey for Collymore on the volley. For some reason I thought they played more together. Would have been good if they did because they were brilliant together.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smr said:

You're probably right, it's that game that comes to mind of them two, that back flick from Heskey for Collymore on the volley. For some reason I thought they played more together. Would have been good if they did because they were brilliant together.

I think they both played the Watford game before that which was colleymore's debut.. 0-0 if my memory serves me correct!

Then Sunderland, and then Emile left. Maybe Wimbledon after that? 

4 hours ago, pds said:

It wasn't his debut at home to Norwich. He made his debut away to QPR the season before in the Premier League and had made several appearances by the time this match came around. 

Speaking of Norwich his first goal for us was away to them 3 or 4 months before the home match. The only goal in a 1-0 victory. 

Went to that game. Pretty sure Frank Rolling made his debut that day. Also remember it as the press reports said Emile had to be in college the next day!

5 hours ago, Thefox81 said:

Yes your right,

just been watching the 100 goal club on sky about heskey and he left after that game

1996/97 he was often unplayable and was good enough to play in any side in the Premiership. It always really got on my nerves that cheap comics mocked his efforts for England when he was always one of the top 3 players and often one of the only threats they possessed. I’d have him in my all time Leicester 11 - great player and true legend.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, smr said:

He didn't laugh.

Which made me laugh.

Didn't they only play 2 games together. Stan made his debut in a draw at Watford. A week later we beat sunderland at home when stan scored a hat trick. The next week heskey was sold wasn't he and stan broke his leg at Derby not long after.

Unless the memory is failing me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Didn't they only play 2 games together. Stan made his debut in a draw at Watford. A week later we beat sunderland at home when stan scored a hat trick. The next week heskey was sold wasn't he and stan broke his leg at Derby not long after.

Unless the memory is failing me.

yeah Collymore broke his leg at Derby but was playing again after several weeks. The man was a machine. 

On 14 August 2019 at 14:53, pds said:

I was in London 30/09/1995, my 20th wedding anniversary weekend. Just got back to the hotel near Kensingston Palace, at 440, switched on the bbc teleprinter and the next score that came up was Norwich 0 Leicester 1, Heskey!! 

Made my day and even started paying attention to the missus! 

For the stato's it was also Frank Rollings (can't remember how to spell his name😂) debut. 

Met Heskey a few times, mostly at Baffones with a few other players, normally Thursday, he is a top bloke, caring and respectful. Always polite👍

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BoyJones said:

I was in London 30/09/1995, my 20th wedding anniversary weekend. Just got back to the hotel near Kensingston Palace, at 440, switched on the bbc teleprinter and the next score that came up was Norwich 0 Leicester 1, Heskey!! 

Made my day and even started paying attention to the missus! 

For the stato's it was also Frank Rollings (can't remember how to spell his name😂) debut. 

Met Heskey a few times, mostly at Baffones with a few other players, normally Thursday, he is a top bloke, caring and respectful. Always polite👍

Have you no shame Sir?

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 14/08/2019 at 14:53, pds said:

Correct, 87th minute if memory serves 

9 minutes ago, EastStand42 said:

Just finished this book, it's a fantastic read. My son bought it for my birthday a while ago and I thought whilst being in lockdown, now is the perfect time to get into it.

Has anyone else read it yet? Here's the link to buy if interested:

https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/even-heskey-scored

Cheers Emile 

49 minutes ago, EastStand42 said:

Just finished this book, it's a fantastic read. My son bought it for my birthday a while ago and I thought whilst being in lockdown, now is the perfect time to get into it.

Has anyone else read it yet? Here's the link to buy if interested:

https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/even-heskey-scored

decent site that. impressed. 

i'll get one for me pal - considering what he's done for the club, it's more than deserved.

Edited by Out Foxed

On 14/08/2019 at 14:45, smr said:

He didn't laugh.

Which made me laugh.

He scored his first goal v norwich away

Edited by tylesta