Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom12345

Rodgers v Puel

Don't read too much into this Rodgers is by far the better manager and he will get the best out of his players on who he decided to pick. Puel, on the other hand, want to change the squad's and certain individual's strengths and failed abysmally. Let's look forward!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, David Hankey said:

Don't read too much into this Rodgers is by far the better manager and he will get the best out of his players on who he decided to pick. Puel, on the other hand, want to change the squad's and certain individual's strengths and failed abysmally. Let's look forward!!

This is a good point. Rodgers seems to be a better man manager.

10 minutes ago, Langston said:

The football really isn't the same

Pretty much is. I am backing Rodgers and think we will eventually flourish but lots of the ball, Vardy barely involved, first shot on target late in the game, it is fairly similar in a majority of the games. It feels like we are a bit more attacking now, but it isn't that dramatic.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I don’t disagree with the criticism of Puel, but when piling in to him for his faults, I think we should remember that he brought two magnificent players to the Club in Pereira and Tielemans. 

Edited by Nickfosse
  • Like 1

The clear thing Rodgers has done is create a positive culture at the club. The only senior player Puel took to was Wes Morgan, who strangely enough was almost certainly the least capable of playing his style and level of football of all of them.

Vardy deserved to be challenged after some poor form but you don't drop him for Demarai Gray if you want to challenge for Europe. Kingy wasn't good enough but you don't freeze him out and never tell him he's not even going to be in the squad. Kasper clearly wasn't a fan either given his dad's comments last season. The only way you are going to achieve success and implement your ideas is if you have your senior players on side.

Brendan's come in and has asked Fuchs, Morgan and Simpson to stay. Constantly singing the praises of Albrighton, Evans Schmeichel and Vardy - interesting that Chilwell said Kasper is a teacher's pet for the manager on Football Focus. 

More than that, he's looking at a style that gets the best out of the group - pressing with Vardy, Albrighton and Ayoze. Tielemans and Maddison given creative freedom. The need for Ndidi to be able to pass has been significantly reduced. And so on.

He will have success here, because the players and fans believe in what he's doing. There is no way, in my opinion, we will see Brendan Rodgers get the sack. He will get us into Europe and swiftly move on to the first top 6 job he can get his hands on.

• Like 2

If Puel had the English language level of Klopp or Pep, he'd still be here. He'd have a better relationship with the players, media and fans. 

But his language (lack of) and demeanour seemed to create a bad luck vibe around the place.  I liked what he tried to do here. There were glimpses of brilliance v Spurs away (but lost), Arsenal away (lost), the comeback at Wolves (lost) and Man Utd away (lost)....at home I actually think the crowd were partly to blame for the 0-1 defeats to garbage - getting irritated easily instead of supporting the gameplan of wearing down the opposition mentally and physically

• Thanks 1

Guest An Sionnach

You know the Puel/Rogers method of possession football has to achieve results immediately . You can't learn on the job as a team , individually you have to, but not a whole team . The opposition won't let you . Leicester's midfield core have got to practise the quick passing and movement skills for hour after hour until it becomes second nature . Guardiola does that with his midfield players hence his teams succeed if Rogers doesn't do that he will fail. I think Madison, Praet and co. can do that but they are going to need to put the work in..

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Pretty much is. I am backing Rodgers and think we will eventually flourish but lots of the ball, Vardy barely involved, first shot on target late in the game, it is fairly similar in a majority of the games. It feels like we are a bit more attacking now, but it isn't that dramatic.

"First shot on target late in the game" is using a sample size of one ie last week, and is plain daft. We've polished off teams we wouldn't have under Puel and in beating Bournemouth last season played the best footy I'd seen since the title winning season.

We're a mid table side and as such the odd result will go against expectations (Newcastle at home last season springs to mind) but in general under Rodgers we've been superb. The football is absolutely not the same.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ian Nacho said:

What does this have to do with Puel exactly? 

Apparently, @Dr The Singh has arranged a boxing match betwwen him and Rodgers at the Prince of Punjab.

Edited by norwichfox

7 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/16/brendan-rodgers-tells-islam-slimani-adrien-silva-free-leave/

It is interesting that the players that Rodgers like or don’t like turn out to be exactly the same as Puel.

Both Slimani and Silva were sent out on loan by Puel and both also do not get a look in by Rodgers. Similar story for Diabate.

On the other hand, players heavily used or brought through by Puel - eg. Chilwell, Barnes, Maddison, Ndidi, Ricardo, Tielemans, etc (except Gray) continue to be the focal players for Rodgers.

Puel also talked a lot about playing on the ground more, more possession, etc to our style of play. Same as Rodgers (although Rodgers also emphasise “urgency” much more which is good).

It seems there are a lot more similarities between Puel and Rodgers than many would like to admit. Who knows, with more time, Puel may have done a lot better but he suffered from a lack of trust, his language barrier and resistence to change. Some may say he also had quite a few blind spots which pulled him back from being able to take us to the next level.  These blind spots gave quite a few of us a lot of frustration last season: that we saw greatness in the team (and we saw glimpses of that for example during Xmas of 2018) but yet the team somehow just couldnt get out of third gear.

Having said that, although I believe they have similar football philosophies, Rodgers is definitely an upgrade from Puel and in this game of fine margins with big ego players, I hope Rodgers will unlock some of the treasure boxes that Puel has already brought here and take us to another level.

One last comment before handing over to you for your thoughts, I personally would like Diabate to stay. I thought he was actually quite good. I hope Rodgers give him a chance.

Thoughts?

Surely it's no surprise that in terms of ethos they are fairly similar. Both pride themselves on being capable of improving young players and building sides. We knew that, some of us cut Claude a lot of slack whilst he did it but then the arrogance and pig headedness set in. Rodgers as a comparison is much more of a players player, kills then softly even when they have no future no more so than Kingy and that for me is all I need to know right now.

Puel set down half decent foundations here but he's a stubborn fool and he will forever fall foul in football in this modern era whereas Brendan will do ok and long may that continue with us. NEXT

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SuperMike said:

Main difference is that Rodgers is a proper manager / coach / man-manager. Puel was a negative, divisive non- person totally out of his depth in english football.

A non - person? Goodness me, you regard him as subhuman...

Rodgers genuinely seems to care about the players and wants to develop and integrate them.

After reading some reports about him at the club, am not convinced that Puel did either of these and certain players became frustrated.

9 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

You know the Puel/Rogers method of possession football has to achieve results immediately . You can't learn on the job as a team , individually you have to, but not a whole team . The opposition won't let you . Leicester's midfield core have got to practise the quick passing and movement skills for hour after hour until it becomes second nature . Guardiola does that with his midfield players hence his teams succeed if Rogers doesn't do that he will fail. I think Madison, Praet and co. can do that but they are going to need to put the work in..

Agree, in order to make the transitions thru the thirds but its not going to happen overnight.

1 hour ago, inckley fox said:

We've not though. We got one less point last season under Rodgers than we did against the same sides under Puel. And the fixture we just drew at home was a 2-0 win under Puel last season. At the moment Rodgers is four points down on that comparison.

There are similarities between the two. Both like to play out from the back and want to evolve our style into something easier on the eye (and they're both willing to play two DMs at home too!). They like to develop youth.

I genuinely believe the board looked for a manager with a similar footballing philosophy to Puel's - which was a philosophy they respected - and simply went for one with a better man-management record.

In terms of style the main difference I see is that Rodgers' sides press a lot more than Puel's. Their fitness will have to be greater. And he doesn't much fancy Ghezzal or Mendy even though, in contrast to that, he has built his team around Puel's signings and young players that he helped to develop.

And Rodgers has another key thing in common with Puel. He's had the same electric start to his reign that all three preceding managers also enjoyed. Whether it ends the way Ranieri's, Shakespeare's and Puel's did when fans and players became disillusioned with his methods and systems, we'll have to wait and see.

But it's one win in the past six for us, and three games without a goal. It could well be the familiar story of the Leicester manager who gets off to a flying start, tries to evolve our footballing style, and then suffers for it.

Hopefully not. Rodgers, like Puel, is a good manager. Possibly a better manager. Over the next few games we'll get a sense of whether he really has already moved us on to the next level.

You'll probably be disappointed if you expect everything to come together over the next few games. Might as well give up now and save your self the aggravation. 

Or you can have some faith and let Rodgers coach and build the team. How long was Puel here?

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

You'll probably be disappointed if you expect everything to come together over the next few games. Might as well give up now and save your self the aggravation. 

Or you can have some faith and let Rodgers coach and build the team. How long was Puel here?

I never said I was expecting him to get it right over the next few games! I said that, if he has already taken us to the next level as some fans say, then we might hope to see some evidence of that over the next few matches, because at the moment what has happened early in Rodgers' reign is very similar to that of Shakey and Puel.

Personally I think those people are wrong. We're still a work in progress, as we were for much of Puel's reign. We haven't yet been taken to the next level. Brendan hasn't waved his magic wand and cured all our woes, just like Puel didn't before him, and just like Shakey didn't before him (taking nothing away from any of them, of course, for what they achieved early on). It would be unrealistic to expect that, even if people wanted to believe it was true. That all would be hunky dory just because we'd banished the tyrannical Frenchman.

And people are simply wrong to say that we've got results against sides that we couldn't have got under Puel, because he got better results against the same sides!

What I see is a phenomenon we've seen with every new manager for the past few years - some superb early results followed by a dip in form. It's what happens next - and by that I mean over months, not a few games - which will prove whether Rodgers was the right appointment or not. And I think there's a perfectly good chance that he was.