Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom12345

Rodgers v Puel

Just now, Oxfordfox83 said:

I’m optimistic, I support Brendan and think we’re going forward nicely into the season. But give me one quick vent:

WIDE PLAYERS! Why won’t he play with some wide players?! We can all see it. No one likes this narrow version of 4-3-3. Why does he? It doesn’t work, bunches us up, stifles Youri and makes Harvey Barnes cry. Should be Ndidi or Choudhury, Tielemans and Maddison in a triangle, two wide men, and Vardy up top. Every game. Every manager here learns: YOU’LL NEVER WIN GAMES WITHOUT MARC! A system with wide men fits our players, it solves lots of the problems we’ve had (sideways passing, slow transitions, lack of decent chances created) and it’s just so obvious it’s screaming at all of us in the face.

As I say, he’ll definitely get there, it’s just a bit like watching single-celled Chelsea managers repeatedly playing Kante in every position but the right one and wondering why they’re not winning any more...

I mean, looking at it, this post is somewhat off topic.

It just seems like the *duh* reason why we’re playing dull Spurs 2016-esque possession-but-no-shots football. 

If you want me I’ll be in my fuming parlour.

7 hours ago, sylofox said:

Rather consed one and score 2. Atm we look flat.but let's not dress it up. Atm we are poor.

I hated always going a goal down within 15 minutes. Agree that we need to improve going forwards though. 

Currently we have a lot of young players, with huge potential, who need the right coaching, the right development work, the right understanding of strategy and relationship with their teamates, to  realise that potential and become the consistent, world class players they could be. For me, that would be Barnes, Maddison, Choudhury, Tielemans, at the minimum. 

Sky's commentators on the Man City opener were talking about how, a couple of years ago, Raheem Sterling wouldn't have had the skill to score in the reliable, inventive way he does now - and it was the coaching and broader startegic work under Guardiola and his team, that allowed Sterling to become such a devastating attacking player. I think a lot of our players are where Sterling was a couple of years ago - very promising, sometimes incredible, but also at times inconsistent and unfinished.  

Although there are similarities to how the teams have been set up under Puel last season and Rodgers at the start of this season, Puel was clearly not the person to push these players on. 

Is Rodgers? Yeah. Of course. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

4th in the league and in the 3rd round of the Carabao Cup?! We haven't lost a game yet, why does this thread even exist.

Whilst I agree, it's more by luck than judgement though. It's early days still however and the fact that we are fourth with the points tally we have, tends to suggest that with the exception of Liverpool, we're not the only team misfiring. I too though am puzzled by Rodgers formation and at times team selection as i feel you should play to your players strengths and pick on form and ability not price tag imo. That having been said, if he feels that what he's doing will eventually produce the results he requires longer term he has to be given a chance. I can't see that it's a million miles from Puel though but hopefully with the benefit of better players it should work out. As has been pointed out, the top three don't appear to be being played to their strengths (though jury on Perez still out) and it's also worrying that our 40m star, in this set up, appears either out of form or nullified and a shadow of his former self last season.

• Like 1

Didn’t realise we’d lost our opening 4 games...

We’re not firing on all cylinders yet but surely it’s a positive that we’re getting results while not at our best? The defence has been solid, we just need a little more going forward but I’m sure that’ll come with time.

11 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

It just seems like the *duh* reason why we’re playing dull Spurs 2016-esque possession-but-no-shots football. 

Ahh, you have one of those too. I call mine the fume parlour. We only smoke Cuban cigars in there with a little fine Napoleon Brandy. 

• Like 1

What tripe, unbeaten in pre season including beating a Champions League bound Atalanta, Unbeaten so far in the league including an impressive performance against top 4 candidates Chelsea and through in the League Cup against an incredibly dull and frustrating Newcastle. As someone has already said, why does this thread exist?

What would it take for this thread not to exist? 6-0 vs Wolves, 4-0 vs Chelseas, 6-0 vs Sheff Utd and 8-0 vs Newcastle?? 

11 minutes ago, coalvillefox said:

What tripe, unbeaten in pre season including beating a Champions League bound Atalanta, Unbeaten so far in the league including an impressive performance against top 4 candidates Chelsea and through in the League Cup against an incredibly dull and frustrating Newcastle. As someone has already said, why does this thread exist?

What would it take for this thread not to exist? 6-0 vs Wolves, 4-0 vs Chelseas, 6-0 vs Sheff Utd and 8-0 vs Newcastle?? 

BUT WHY DID WE ONLY BEAT CHELSEA 4???????????

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Had to sell my fuming parlour when they changed the law.

Don't know about you, but I find fuming outside highly unsatisfactory. By the time I've got out there I tend to lose sight of what I went out to fume about in the first place.

Usually I just turn up my collar, light a fag, and moan about Brexit...

• Haha 1

Getting results not playing well is a sign things are going well.  Things will click into place soon.  In BR I trust.  This thread is not really necessary.

• Like 2

Bit of an underwhelming start (performance wise) but comparing the two is crazy. For starters, there’s a really positive feel about the club at the moment compared to the toxicity that we had under Puel. Obviously impossible to know but I think under Puel we would’ve lost against Wolves, probably drawn against Chelsea then easily could’ve crumbled and lost against Sheffield Utd. 2 draws against two clubs that finished above us last season, an away win, and a penalty shootout win isn’t a bad start at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, l444ry said:

The only comparison between those two is that Puel is a pound shop Rodgers. 

I rate Rodgers a lot but how can you say this? Compare both CVs and there's a clear winner.

2 hours ago, Koke said:

I rate Rodgers a lot but how can you say this? Compare both CVs and there's a clear winner.

His CV from years ago is of no relevance to his time at Leicester. Sometimes the evidence of your own eyes can tell the story.

There really is no comparison at all. One thing you have to give Puel though is he is absolutely top class at signing players, just not good at then motivating them. He would make a great DOF or head scout somewhere. Rodgers is probably one of the best man managers there is (Steven Gerrard and a few others have said that) jury is still out on his signings but they look ok. Tielemans you can't really call a Rodgers signing but he has to get credit for being able to convince him to come permanently and that used a lot of the budget so hard to judge on this summer really.