Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tom12345

Rodgers v Puel

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/16/brendan-rodgers-tells-islam-slimani-adrien-silva-free-leave/

It is interesting that the players that Rodgers like or don’t like turn out to be exactly the same as Puel.

Both Slimani and Silva were sent out on loan by Puel and both also do not get a look in by Rodgers. Similar story for Diabate.

On the other hand, players heavily used or brought through by Puel - eg. Chilwell, Barnes, Maddison, Ndidi, Ricardo, Tielemans, etc (except Gray) continue to be the focal players for Rodgers.

Puel also talked a lot about playing on the ground more, more possession, etc to our style of play. Same as Rodgers (although Rodgers also emphasise “urgency” much more which is good).

It seems there are a lot more similarities between Puel and Rodgers than many would like to admit. Who knows, with more time, Puel may have done a lot better but he suffered from a lack of trust, his language barrier and resistence to change. Some may say he also had quite a few blind spots which pulled him back from being able to take us to the next level.  These blind spots gave quite a few of us a lot of frustration last season: that we saw greatness in the team (and we saw glimpses of that for example during Xmas of 2018) but yet the team somehow just couldnt get out of third gear.

Having said that, although I believe they have similar football philosophies, Rodgers is definitely an upgrade from Puel and in this game of fine margins with big ego players, I hope Rodgers will unlock some of the treasure boxes that Puel has already brought here and take us to another level.

One last comment before handing over to you for your thoughts, I personally would like Diabate to stay. I thought he was actually quite good. I hope Rodgers give him a chance.

Thoughts?

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It is an interesting thread, since there have been murmurings here comparing the 2, and some are not convinced by BR. The main difference for me (thus far) is he is more media savvy, the players buy into him, and he's evolving the play - it's too soon to be sure how different it will be or what his limitations will be. It was right to remove Puel, but he got way more abuse than was deserved imo. I know others will disagree, and that's their right. 

I agree with you that it was right to remove Puel.  I suppose it was also very smart of Top to bring in Rodgers if you would agree that he has similar philosophies but is better - at least we would not be like Man U wasting all this money on different players to suit different styles of the managers.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

I think Diabate is a couple of brackets below where we are but he's not objectively been a bad signing considering the outlay and what we'll get back for him. 

SIlva and Slimani have just been heinous purchases though, be fantastic if we could shift the pair of them before the end of the window.

Edited by Langston

I don't think it's that interesting that CP and BR both prefer certain players to others. I think the players they prefer are either objectively better or have a better attitude than the ones they want(ed) to get rid of.

I don't think there are many managers who would pick Silva over Tielemans or Maddison, or Slimani over Vardy, for example.

• Like 2

It's too early for me to judge BR or tell about the differences, let's give him more time and hopefully he can build on the foundation Puel has set (the young, hungry, talented / promising players). So far I'm not overly impressed with our new manager, but it's still too early to judge, let's give him few more months to settle down and impose his football philosophy on the team, without jumping to conclusions too soon.

Ultimately, it's the results that count, I couldn't care much about Puels lack of personality/charisma in front of the cameras and don't care about Rodgers being media savvy either (it's pretty obvious though he can and will comunicate with the players much better, and I'm very glad about that). It's the less than convincing results that made Puel leave, let's hope Rodgers will do better in that regard and his team's style will be more convincing than 'puelball'. That's all that I ask of him.

Come on you Rodgers' Foxes make us proud! :scarf:

• Like 2

A very interesting thread, however, about half a season too soon to make any measured comparisons imo.

Brendan has had the games at the end of last season to evaluate the team, a pre season and one transfer window to implement improvements.

It shouldn't but it truly mystifies me how , after just 1 EPL game, detractors are surfacing and there is some overtly harsh and impatient criticism.

Wolves were match sharper and extremely well drilled and yes BR, imo, set up too defensively, however I think some patience and context is required as we are only one game in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Puel has the squad right.

He just couldn’t manage it and his tactical approach was completely wrong for the reason players we have.

Puel built a good squad for us.... Evans, Maddison, Soyuncu, Ricardo... I always felt that the next manager needed to be more attacking. 

• Like 2

Interesting discussion but it will descend into mud slinging because some people will get PTSD the moment they hear the name Puel. All rationality goes out of the window 

• Like 4

Absolutely unconvinced there is a tangible improvement at this stage in anything other than communication between players, media and manager. Looking forward to a much needed upturn

in results. As I've already said in another thread, We got 6 points out of these first 2 fixtures under Puel...We'll be lucky to get 2 or 4 out of them under Rodgers. Fingers and toes firmly crossed for the awaited improvement that's not part of "new manager bounce".

• Like 1

Too early to tell, I like BR and believe he should be an upgrade on CP... but... we havent seen that yet.

Its no surprise that any half decent manager can spot players who are better than others, particularly when they suit your "style"... im yet to see a HUGE difference between CP and BR other than in his media work

• Like 1

Its all about player power here and personal relationships as opposed to just management ability.

Overall Puel wasnt bad with us and we played some good stuff under him and some great results, but he falls into that "miserable distant manager" category that so many players (and fans) wont accept these days. It seems many players want the Pep or Klopp style of arm around manager who smiles and the miserable ones like Puel, Conte or even Sarri are deemed as not so good these days!! Its crazy really. I liked some of what Puel did, especially introducing Hamza at times and getting results against big teams and I love some of his signings, especially Tielemans. Rodgers falls into the category of the manager that the players will enjoy as you would guess training will be more fun, the communication is going to be better and he comes in as a young manager with Liverpool and Celtic on his CV which helps.

The proof though will be in the pudding! Its all about what Brendan can get out of the current crop as he is known as a great man manager and developer of players. Personally, I think we have a terrific manager and coach and he should be able to do well with us. Not only is he known to coach players to improvement but he now has one of the best squad he has ever had the chance to manage, and the youngest. His main problem is that every transfer window he has to worry about which star we will lose!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langston said:

I think Diabate is a couple of brackets below where we are but he's not objectively been a bad signing considering the outlay and what we'll get back for him. 

SIlva and Slimani have just been heinous purchases though, be fantastic if we could shift the pair of them before the end of the window.

I dont see either going anywhere while they have contracts with us. A loan deals the best we can hope for.

Near on £60m and £160k a week fvck up. Both will see out current contracts imo.

13 minutes ago, sylofox said:

I dont see either going anywhere while they have contracts with us. A loan deals the best we can hope for.

Near on £60m and £160k a week fvck up. Both will see out current contracts imo.

No reason we couldn't subsidise some wages, I'd be amazed if both just go on loan