Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

8 years ago today we won at Bournemouth, courtesy of Philip’s goal - very important victory against a team competing with us for promotion ….

i dont remember them competing for promotion that year? i think i remember phillip's doing the old man celebration after he scored.

On 01/02/2022 at 18:27, st albans fox said:

8 years ago today we won at Bournemouth, courtesy of Philip’s goal - very important victory against a team competing with us for promotion ….

I know this because it’s 8 years to the day that I took my girls to see Taylor swift at the O2 and I was listening to the commentary driving down the M11….it’s amazing how many memories of events are linked to the game we played on that day! 

I remember driving through the floods to get down there not knowing if the match would be off. It was the first time I'd heard the Jamie Vardy's having a party song. Is that the day it started? 

Guest David Oldfields Gate
On 01/02/2022 at 18:27, st albans fox said:

.it’s amazing how many memories of events are linked to the game we played on that day!

When I got married we lost away to Millwall. 

Still fuming.

• 3 weeks later...

Feb 22nd 1983     League Division Two v Shrewsbury (h)

It looked impossible. We'd just lost 1-0 at Grimsby - a third defeat in four games, and promotion seemed a million miles away. We were fully 12 points behind Fulham, who were 3rd. No play-offs then, of course. Just the top three went up automatically.

tabke-3.jpg

But that night, Tuesday February 22nd, we beat Shrewsbury 3-2, with two from Lineker and one from Ian Wilson. Then four days later, leaders Wolves came to Filbert Street for one of the great occasions of Gordon Milne's reign. We won 5-0, with the Lineker-Smith-Lynex attack irresistible and recent signing Gerry Daly crowning a great display with the 5th. Could we...??

Gradually we reeled Fulham in, the key result being that famous 1-0 win at Craven Cottage in April.

That fantastic promotion race had a distant echo from early in the century, and in that season too, February 22nd was a key turning point.

February 22nd 1908    Derby County (a)

Here too, it looked hopeless. Just two clubs went up at that time, and Leicester Fosse were down in 8th,  and our next four games were against teams above us in the table, Also, our top scorer had just asked for a transfer. Imagine the impact on the 1982./83 promotion race if Lineker had suddenly demanded a move. Back in 1907/08, it was Percy Humphreys, who'd got 19 in 26 games.

This was the table:

tabke-2.jpg

We went to second placed Derby that day and got a crucial 2-1 win. It was Humphrey's last game, and he left for Chelsea the following week. Three days after that West Brom came to Filbert Street and were hammered 3-0. A week later we went to leaders Bradford City - and won 5-1!!  5,000 fans greeted the team as they arrived back at Leicester station that night, and the city was suddenly alive with promotion fever, with people no doubt asking 'Percy Who??'. Then yet another promotion rival came to Filbert Street - Hull City. They were beaten 3-2, and we were now up to 4th. 

In the end, we could afford a couple of slip ups, as Derby, then 2nd, contrived to lose seven of their last nine games. A 1-0 win at Stoke clinched promotion, Fosse finishing second behind Bradford City,  leaving Leicester fans to sing 'Ee Aye, Ee Aye, Ee Aye Oh, Up the Football League we go' for the first time ever, 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kushiro said:

Feb 22nd 1983     League Division Two v Shrewsbury (h)

It looked impossible. We'd just lost 1-0 at Grimsby - a third defeat in four games, and promotion seemed a million miles away. We were fully 12 points behind Fulham, who were 3rd. No play-offs then, of course. Just the top three went up automatically.

tabke-3.jpg

But that night, Tuesday February 22nd, we beat Shrewsbury 3-2, with two from Lineker and one from Ian Wilson. Then four days later, leaders Wolves came to Filbert Street for one of the great occasions of Gordon Milne's reign. We won 5-0, with the Lineker-Smith-Lynex attack irresistible and recent signing Gerry Daly crowning a great display with the 5th. Could we...??

Gradually we reeled Fulham in, the key result being that famous 1-0 win at Craven Cottage in April.

That fantastic promotion race had a distant echo from early in the century, and in that season too, February 22nd was a key turning point.

February 22nd 1908    Derby County (a)

Here too, it looked hopeless. Just two clubs went up at that time, and Leicester Fosse were down in 8th,  and our next four games were against teams above us in the table, Also, our top scorer had just asked for a transfer. Imagine the impact on the 1982./83 promotion race if Lineker had suddenly demanded a move. Back in 1907/08, it was Percy Humphreys, who'd got 19 in 26 games.

This was the table:

tabke-2.jpg

We went to second placed Derby that day and got a crucial 2-1 win. It was Humphrey's last game, and he left for Chelsea the following week. Three days after that West Brom came to Filbert Street and were hammered 3-0. A week later we went to leaders Bradford City - and won 5-1!!  5,000 fans greeted the team as they arrived back at Leicester station that night, and the city was suddenly alive with promotion fever, with people no doubt asking 'Percy Who??'. Then yet another promotion rival came to Filbert Street - Hull City. They were beaten 3-2, and we were now up to 4th. 

In the end, we could afford a couple of slip ups, as Derby, then 2nd, contrived to lose seven of their last nine games. A 1-0 win at Stoke clinched promotion, Fosse finishing second behind Bradford City,  leaving Leicester fans to sing 'Ee Aye, Ee Aye, Ee Aye Oh, Up the Football League we go' for the first time ever, 

It was a real shame we couldn't hang on to Gerry Daly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

31 years today since my first ever match in April 1991. 3-0 at home to Brighton. No memory of it.

However, also 25 years since we drew 1-1 in the Final at Wembley against Middlesbrough. That day and that team still seems so recent to me, time moves fast!

Screenshot_20220406-090630_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Rain King
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rain King said:

31 years today since my first ever match in April 1991. 3-0 at home to Brighton. No more of it.

However, also 25 years since we drew 1-1 in the Final at Wembley against Middlesbrough. That day and that team still seems so recent to me, time moves fast!

The Kaamark finale 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

31 years today since my first ever match in April 1991. 3-0 at home to Brighton. No memory of it.

Wembley seemed like a second home back then.

But this seemed so different to the PO games, an actually real Cup Final!

I remember more of the replay at Hillsborough then that day.

Pretty special a local Leicester lad scoring in a cup final. 

Who would have guessed that the  Middlesbrough captain would go on to be a successful and popular Leicester manager.

Also the last ever League Cup Final to be decided by a replay.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1