Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Maddison- Manchester United.

Just now, Babylon said:

Who said anything about being happy? What I am is realistic, you on the other hand are asking something of a middle of the road club that nobody else has managed to do, clubs far bigger than us.

You cannot keep turning down offers and expect to keep a harmonious squad full of players performing at their optimum.

Please dont take my dream away... i so want us to be a too six club

23 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

No we sold him ...   thats not what I said we should do ...  the price at that moment was immaterial ..  we should have kept him and fobbed them off.

But just for you as you keep asking ...   certainly near to £100m.

Don't forget the price is what someone is prepared to pay, not what Sky or the tabloids think he's worth ...   Manure were desperate ! ...

£100m would make him the 6th biggest transfer in history. Of the five that would still be above him only Griezmann was older.

Maguire will be 27 in March and players start to lose their value at that age if they command huge transfer fees. Maguire has never played for an elite club and is a defender which ara all things that go against him. Maguire is excellent in the air and excellent with the ball at his feet in passing and breaking lines with his runs but he is an average PL defender without these attributes.

We've also most likely sold Maguire at his peak value which should never be overlooked for a club like ours. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

So do I but our route to becoming a top six club is to perform remarkably well in the transfer market. 

We have the luxury of being able to attract any player in the world outside a few hundred. If you have the personnel in scouting, negotiating, etc you should use the transfer market as much as you can to ship players in and out. Sell players at their peak value and buy players who are undervalued with big potential. Eventually you might come across a group of player who become one of the best group of players in England and Europe and then you might be able to hold on to them.

It's all very well acting like a top six club but you have to prove it to them that you can compete with other top six clubs on the pitch and with salaries.  Maguire for example has moved to Man Utd for £190k a week. We can't compete with that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lcfcell said:

If they seriously come calling in January I can’t wait to see what we demand. 

I don’t think we’ll entertain any offer at all in January. and then we’ll produce a crazy high Price end of season.

either way, expect a new contract soon.

• Like 1

On 26/08/2019 at 13:06, reynard said:

Agree. I quote Wolves thought because I suspect we are in the shady world of agents here. Let's face it Neves is highly regarded by many yet there was not one serious link to him. Surely exactly the type of player Man Utd and many other clubs, with respect to Wolves, around Europe and much bigger than them,could use. Also both Boly and Coady won much praise and with clubs such as Arsenal and Man Utd wanting defenders not, to my knowledge, any link at all.

Wolves play a "weird" formation and system, so there's worries about how their players will translate their skill to a side that plays under completely different conditions to them. When you consider what they'd hold out for over their players, it's not worth trying to buy them for many teams.

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

He’s just signed a new five year deal, not that contracts count for much, but if Villa stay up they’ll probs be able to demand £40/50million... I know United are fools in the market but that would be something else lol 

If I was braindead and in charge of United, I'd still rather pay £40/50 million for McGinn than £100 million+ for Maddison.

8 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

We can still become a top six club, but realistically, we will have to lose some first team players on the way.

If we can carry on playing the transfer market well, we can improve the team and make a huge profit at the same time.

As long as we continue replacing players well, there will be a point where it becomes less likely that first choice players want to leave.

• Like 1

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 12:23, Gerard said:

So do I but our route to becoming a top six club is to perform remarkably well in the transfer market. 

We have the luxury of being able to attract any player in the world outside a few hundred. If you have the personnel in scouting, negotiating, etc you should use the transfer market as much as you can to ship players in and out. Sell players at their peak value and buy players who are undervalued with big potential. Eventually you might come across a group of player who become one of the best group of players in England and Europe and then you might be able to hold on to them.

It's all very well acting like a top six club but you have to prove it to them that you can compete with other top six clubs on the pitch and with salaries.  Maguire for example has moved to Man Utd for £190k a week. We can't compete with that. 

We did, they cost us next to **** all and won the league.:scarf: It was when we started to pay out big money for so called established (older) players that it went wrong.  We seem to have gone back to basics a bit, buying young prospects and bringing them on. All said and done even at £20m (small beer these days) Maddison was a gamble as he was unproven at this level. Soyuncu, Benkovic, Ricardo similarly. All relatively young, no previous PL experience and cost between £15-20M. We have to accept that not every punt on a prospect will pay dividends (Diabate for example) but at least we have a half decent chance of moving them on, albeit sometimes for a small loss, if they don't work out unlike older so called "names" (Slim, Silva). 

Transfer speculation sells papers (or clicks) of course and the more rumours the media can start the better as far as they are concerned.  Mentioning that some young kid in an academy somewhere might one day be decent doesn't unless there is another story attached (relative of bygone player etc).  Of course a few decent performances after breaking through and they are all over it trying to sell them to the "big" clubs (Chillwell, , and no doubt Barnes and Hamza in the next few months).

On 27/08/2019 at 13:40, Nicolo Barella said:

Wolves play a "weird" formation and system, so there's worries about how their players will translate their skill to a side that plays under completely different conditions to them. When you consider what they'd hold out for over their players, it's not worth trying to buy them for many teams.

Yet it is with us? Top players can play in any formation. I just find it strange the lack of apparent interest/rumours of interest in payers from a small/medium club that finished 7th in the Premier League.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reynard said:

Yet it is with us? Top players can play in any formation. I just find it strange the lack of apparent interest/rumours of interest in payers from a small/medium club that finished 7th in the Premier League.

I think the answer is simple, most of them aren't English. Young English talent is always going to receive a lot of hype and interest due to the media and the home grown quotas clubs face. 

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Sure, but my point is, buyers don't know if, let's say, Boly is a top player, or if his deficiencies are covered up by their formation. Which makes them less inclined to chase their players than ours, who play in various iterations of a standard 4-4-3.

Close this thread until the Winter Window kicks open, otherwise we will end up with another Harry Maguire style thread with the same old garbage going round and round and round.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2019 at 12:46, Countryfox said:

Yes, because they would have paid more.

Even if this is true....

To call it a 'bargain' implies they would have a fair chunk higher (90m+). And even then that would just leave Man U thinking they've got a bargain. He's going to need to play like a £90+m player for £80m to be considered a bargain. It's going to be a while before we know whether that happens. Can't see it myself

22 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think the answer is simple, most of them aren't English. Young English talent is always going to receive a lot of hype and interest due to the media and the home grown quotas clubs face. 

I was about to say this. The media are just in love with the idea of England internationals playing for yanited.

Theres probably a load of  attention on Neves and even N’didi  but the media won’t push as hard, because it won’t get as many clicks. This early on in the season a club won’t be looking at drastic switches especially not committing to the signings, just maybe keeping an eye on players. 

Edited by Lambert09

21 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Sure, but my point is, buyers don't know if, let's say, Boly is a top player, or if his deficiencies are covered up by their formation. Which makes them less inclined to chase their players than ours, who play in various iterations of a standard 4-4-3.

Seems a dangerous formation to me - no keeper?!

• Haha 2

I’ve never claimed to be ITK, ever, in my time on this forum. But I came across a piece of info today that confirms this thread has legs. Maddison is indeed going to Utd 😞😞😞😞

Fortunately, it’s for the weekend after next and he’ll be coming back again. With three points and a feckin’ huge grin !! Come on!!!!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

True. Pogba is better than Maddison, if Lazier, and plays in the same position at his best. McGinn is more of a player they need. 

Pogba probably has more ability than Maddison, but is he really better?  I don’t think so. You are not World Class if you turn up 1 game in 5. 

5 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

Pogba probably has more ability than Maddison, but is he really better?  I don’t think so. You are not World Class if you turn up 1 game in 5. 

He is better. He is the kind of flair player that needs a consistent team around him to support him and lift his level, so United is probably one of the worst teams for him to be at. He should have stayed at Juventus. If he did, we'd be talking about him like de Bruyne.

14 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He is better. He is the kind of flair player that needs a consistent team around him to support him and lift his level, so United is probably one of the worst teams for him to be at. He should have stayed at Juventus. If he did, we'd be talking about him like de Bruyne.

I think he is too inconsistent. I'm not sure he is anywhere near the level of De Bruyne. He only ever performs when he wants to.

If he got his arse in gear he has the potential but his attitude seems lacking. Maddison so far seems to have a great attitude, works hard even when playing badly and is still learning. He is certainly more effective in more games and a better team player.