Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Maddison- Manchester United.

3 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Of course there's an 80m upside. .... but there's a downside too.  You hope to limit the flow to say 1 per year... i would add that in general top six clubs don't sell to other top six clubs (except arsenal who get caught by contracts running down). .. if we want to be a top six club then we must start to act like one.  The cost will be NOT getting over paid as we turn down utd like offers

You going to invest the extra billion quid it would take to “act” top 6. Bleating on about mentality is all well and good but unless that is backed up with wages to match players will want to go and you can only hold out for so long.

Spurs sold the likes of Berbatov, Walker and probably everyone but Kane if they got the right offer, because despite having vast resources more than us, even they can’t compete with the Man U’s or Man City when they want a player.

You keep turning down offers then you will just end up with a mutiny after long enough.

Out best players will always go, anyone expecting otherwise is frankly delusional. 

What’s important is succession planning and good scouting so that we aren’t left in trouble when they go. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

What do you think of Kilman coming through? Heard he’s supposed to be a decent ball playing centre half, so if it’s Bennett’s distribution that is his weakness, do you think we could be likely to see him a few times this season? 

He's played a couple of times already in Europe. He looks decent on the ball (always mentioned that he's an ex Futsal player), but he's still young and needs to develop. 

FWIW he's been used on the left of the back three in place of Boly, but I assume he can play on the right side too. 

Advise not for sale and keep his feet on the ground.  And when in the future things hot up ..  DO NOT put a price on him ...  the minute we did that with Maguire he was gone ..   OGS knew that, even if they didn't knock us down, they would pay what we asked and get their man.   For the future captain of England for a long time to come and someone who is still improving ..   I think they got a bargain.    Learn from your mistakes.

45 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

£80 million for Maguire was NOT a bargain whatever way you look at it

Sorry for me it was ...   they will get many years out of him ...  he will be an ever present in their team and become captain ...  he will be an ever present in the England team and again become captain ...    he will become a great for both teams ...    not a bargain ???

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Sorry for me it was ...   they will get many years out of him ...  he will be an ever present in their team and become captain ...  he will be an ever present in the England team and again become captain ...    he will become a great for both teams ...    not a bargain ???

yeh problem is he aint all that and when ogs gets binned the new manager will be pressurised to playing him and the cycle will continue

Edited by m4DD0gg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Advise not for sale and keep his feet on the ground.  And when in the future things hot up ..  DO NOT put a price on him ...  the minute we did that with Maguire he was gone ..   OGS knew that, even if they didn't knock us down, they would pay what we asked and get their man.   For the future captain of England for a long time to come and someone who is still improving ..   I think they got a bargain.    Learn from your mistakes.

Or put a price on him that's higher than we value him at?! If every club is going to pay what we ask for a player than we have an extremely positive future ahead of ourselves, with or without Maddison 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

What would you consider a fair price for Maguire?

52 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

He’s a good centre half, but he’s not worth £80 million, it doesn’t matter how you dress it up. Maybe for half of that price you could call it a bargain. He’ll never compare to the ‘great’ centre halves United have had in the past tho. Ferdinand, Stam, Vidic... Maguire’s not in that bracket. There’s no argument about it. For £80 million you want a player of that quality in return. So no, it isn’t a bargain, you’re kidding yourself if you say otherwise.  

Also, if it’s a bargain then United must have got him on the cheap.. so how much do you think he’s worth??

Beat me to it. :D

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

You going to invest the extra billion quid it would take to “act” top 6. Bleating on about mentality is all well and good but unless that is backed up with wages to match players will want to go and you can only hold out for so long.

Spurs sold the likes of Berbatov, Walker and probably everyone but Kane if they got the right offer, because despite having vast resources more than us, even they can’t compete with the Man U’s or Man City when they want a player.

You keep turning down offers then you will just end up with a mutiny after long enough.

Out best players will always go, anyone expecting otherwise is frankly delusional. 

What’s important is succession planning and good scouting so that we aren’t left in trouble when they go. 

If you were running the club then you could sell anyone who wanted to go as you like

If i were running the club it would be different. 

Unfortunately neither of us are. You're happy... I'm not.

6 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

At that time do you seriously not think Madrid were not a competitor to United? The world doesn't stop at the Premiership and arguably the overall results in the Champions league both in money terms and attracting players are just as big. It really doesn't matter whether the team is a direct competitor or not really and, lest we forget,  at this moment in time, Everton, West Ham and Wolves etc are more our direct competitors. Whatever problems United are having now, like it or not, will always be seen as bigger than us. They will eventually buy their way out of this and get back into Europe.

To be clear then... i would not sell to a top six pl club. That  will cost. Thats the price i would pay

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

So we’ll never progress then... because players won’t want to join us as they will have hit their ceiling as we can’t let them go to bigger clubs (which they will want to, it’s how football works), or they’ll run their contracts down and we’ll lose them for nothing, instead of tens of millions of pounds. Don’t think you’d get very far with that. 

No. You'll get Burnley buying them and then selling them on to a Big 6 club for profit before the window closes.

• Haha 1

Until we can break the ceiling into the top 6 or perhaps one day the top 4 only then will we be able to assume a level of confidence in retaining players like maguire and maddison........until then its very easy for bigger clubs to take our players away. Whilst we might get top dollar for them its a case of rebuilding time and again.

If our owners are really genuine about taking it to the next level consistently they have to spend more or if thats not possible due to the rules the big clubs flaunt find a way to spend more.

On 25/08/2019 at 08:53, reynard said:

Why don't they try and buy Neves instead? How come no one ever talks about players from Wolves who are very good.

If they want in January I'd personally tell them it is 150 million, up front, all of it, absolutely no staggered payments and deal must be complete by the end of the 2nd day of the window or they can do one.

The media do seem to have an agenda for selling Leicester players,especially Sky who seemed obsessed with selling Maguire all summer, any time one our players performs one of their pundits is explaining why Man U, Liverpool or Spurs should be signing them. West Ham, Everton and Wolves don't seem to have this problem. I'm pretty sure that if Pukki played for Leicester, Sky would already have had him mocked up in a Chelsea shirt.

• Like 3

This revisionism is actually wild.

A good CB who was ultimately sat in front two ready replacements, we told Man U its pay the full £80m or fvck off, they sat at the door and begged for a cheaper deal, got told to stick it, Rudkin full out humiliated them by telling them we weren't convinced we'd even see the European Spot bonus and they still paid every penny. 

If a football club could be a cuckold, it would be Man U after this summer. The fact the media try to save their beloved United's reputation is even funnier.

£180m please :thumbup: 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Also, if it’s a bargain then United must have got him on the cheap.. so how much do you think he’s worth??

16 hours ago, Gerard said:

What would you consider a fair price for Maguire?

A lot more than £80m or don't bother even talking to us ...   its as clear as day to me that Manu (in particular OGS) had made their mind up they were going to have him come what may ...   they'd hung their hat on him and Bissa-whatsit to shore up their defence.  Maguire had cemented himself in the England team and appeared to be slowly improving ...   not only big and strong, good at defending and a threat at corners, but also able to bring the ball out and accurately pass ...   the blue print of a modern centre half.   But there is much more to it than that, imo ...   I know we will always lose out to the 'big' clubs but here was a golden opportunity to try and overtake Manure this season.  I would have told Maguire he wasn't going unless we were happy with the price ....     (the price being what we would let him go at ...    not a quoted figure) ....  that he had only been here a short time and we wanted a little more from him after taking him from Hull and giving him a very lucrative contract and an opportunity (with better players around him) to play for England.   Play hardball and keep him for one more season .... we would have had the psychological advantage over Manure and that would have greatly improved our chances of getting above them.  If he still wanted to go the following season his stock would have risen and others might have come in for him and we'd have hopefully got more.  And I'm fairly confident Maguire wouldn't have kicked off unlike that other squawking little **** we sold.   Pure business ...   opportunity lost.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

From everything you say it sounds exactly like what we done... held out for a few above his market value that we were happy with. £80 million was massive as it is.

You still haven’t said what you think he’s actually worth either? £120m? £150m? What is it? 

No we sold him ...   thats not what I said we should do ...  the price at that moment was immaterial ..  we should have kept him and fobbed them off.

But just for you as you keep asking ...   certainly near to £100m.

Don't forget the price is what someone is prepared to pay, not what Sky or the tabloids think he's worth ...   Manure were desperate ! ...

Edited by Countryfox

16 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

If you were running the club then you could sell anyone who wanted to go as you like

If i were running the club it would be different. 

Unfortunately neither of us are. You're happy... I'm not.

Who said anything about being happy? What I am is realistic, you on the other hand are asking something of a middle of the road club that nobody else has managed to do, clubs far bigger than us.

You cannot keep turning down offers and expect to keep a harmonious squad full of players performing at their optimum.

• Like 3