Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Maddison- Manchester United.

12 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Next summer will be worse than the window just gone.

Madders, Ricardo and Chilwell will all be on teams radars. Holding onto them is gonna be difficult. Think ideally we would only sell 1, but unless we have put a trophy on the table and got European football to offer I think next summer may signal a few being tempted to move on.

Dont think it will be long before Barnes gets linked with other teams either

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/maddison-united-transfer-backed-teammate-16814163.amp

One lousy article loosely links Maddison to M*n U*d and all of a sudden everyone is talking about it like it will actually happen. If they even tried in Jan it'll cost the upwards of £100m+. Bloody ridiculous. Anyway, Man Utd will be mid table by then.... hopefully. 

Most hated club in the my book...above spurs. Yeah, I know!!

Edited by fox_favourite

6 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

but of course this is the result of us acquiescing over maguire.  Now every play and their agent knows that they can agitate for a move and we will not hold them to their contract... and every club knows that the shop is open.  I waned you all!

The shop has always been open, not only ours but most clubs including Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea, it's the way of football unless you're perhaps Madrid or Barcelona, even then it could still happen.

Players like Maguire and Maddison will always be ambitious and try and play for the biggest team they can,  particularly if they're doubling their wages and why shouldn't they? I know I would wouldn't you? It's a job, a relatively short career and brilliant opportunity too.

80m was well over the top for Maguire from a position of power and very good business, if we really had to sell him. As long as we can limit it to one a season, but spend the proceeds wisely, which is easier said than done, then hopefully we can make ourselves less leaveable as we will gradually become successful in our own right hopefully. It's the way of the world.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, reynard said:

Why don't they try and buy Neves instead? How come no one ever talks about players from Wolves who are very good.

If they want in January I'd personally tell them it is 150 million, up front, all of it, absolutely no staggered payments and deal must be complete by the end of the 2nd day of the window or they can do one.

This is what I don't get, not exclusively Wolves but every other club.

How do other teams manage to keep their players within reason, notably Spurs for example, they're poked fun at on here but they're decent, have decent players, don't pay massive wages from what I understand (I believe until recently perhaps that we pay higher wages), they don't win things so that can't be a reason for their players wanting to hang around, Alderwierld, I still don't understand why no-one triggered his release clause.

There are links to players at other clubs but it almost seems as if we get hounded, as Southampton did - and eventually they failed to find adequate replacements, I feel eventually we'll end up the same way.

It's a complement to our club, the talent we have and the talent we've attracted, but it's getting abit of a joke now, I think we're seen as a feeder club as Southampton were, I understand we can't stand in players ways and we'll struggle to attract the talent if we do stand in their way, currently we are seen as a progessive club which players can use a stepping stone towards a big move, which is good in someways but will only last for so long before it goes bang, we need to keep hold of these players, ultimately what are we aiming for, what is our ambition if we keep selling. I'm not saying we will roll over and sell but it's a scenario i'm concerned about.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

The shop has always been open, not only ours but most clubs including Man United, Liverpool and Chelsea, it's the way of football unless you're perhaps Madrid or Barcelona, even then it could still happen.

Players like Maguire and Maddison will always be ambitious and try and play for the biggest team they can,  particularly if they're doubling their wages and why shouldn't they? I know I would wouldn't you? It's a job, a relatively short career and brilliant opportunity too.

80m was well over the top for Maguire from a position of power and very good business, if we really had to sell him. As long as we can limit it to one a season, but spend the proceeds wisely, which is easier said than done, then hopefully we can make ourselves less leaveable as we will gradually become successful in our own right hopefully. It's the way of the world.

Of course there's an 80m upside. .... but there's a downside too.  You hope to limit the flow to say 1 per year... i would add that in general top six clubs don't sell to other top six clubs (except arsenal who get caught by contracts running down). .. if we want to be a top six club then we must start to act like one.  The cost will be NOT getting over paid as we turn down utd like offers

• Like 1

The pace at which panic erupts at Man United these days is truly a joy to behold. They are already showing worrying signs; a weak, unbalanced attack and still look defensively incredibly unstable. There's a reasonably good chance that in January, if they want to buy Maddison, they will need to do so from a team that's higher up in the table than them. Moreover, it does look like Maddison likes it here - it would cost something astronomical to get him off us. Not too worried about these links at all. 

11 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

but of course this is the result of us acquiescing over maguire.  Now every play and their agent knows that they can agitate for a move and we will not hold them to their contract... and every club knows that the shop is open.  I waned you all!

We appear to be getting posts from an alternate timeline where we accepted one of Man Utd's low ball offers after Maguire spat his dummy out, this is very exciting news for science.

9 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

We appear to be getting posts from an alternate timeline where we accepted one of Man Utd's low ball offers after Maguire spat his dummy out, this is very exciting news for science.

Agree completely m. In fact, we priced everyone else out of the deal! We made Man City(!) fcuk off when they made -- let's be real here -- a more than fair offer.

Come December, I have a feeling most fans wouldn't swap Cags for Maguire, and the story will be how we completely pantsed ManU (which we did).

Edited by MarriedaLeicesterGirl
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Of course there's an 80m upside. .... but there's a downside too.  You hope to limit the flow to say 1 per year... i would add that in general top six clubs don't sell to other top six clubs (except arsenal who get caught by contracts running down). .. if we want to be a top six club then we must start to act like one.  The cost will be NOT getting over paid as we turn down utd like offers

Whilst I clearly recognise the downside I think your missing the point. Ronaldo and Coutinho spring to mind. When a player really wants to go to a big club it generally happens, regardless of a clubs and supporters wishes. Once Marhez for example went mardy, there was little our owners could do. In an ideal world they'd say tough, your staying and if you don't play to the best of your ability you'll rot in the reserves until your contract expires and we'll ruin your career. It ain't going to happen though.

It's never going to happen both for monetary reasons and other effects on the playing staff who all mostly will harbour certain future ambitions. It may also be a reason that would stop certain young players signing for us in the first place if they see us as a club that would thwart such understandable ambitions.

I'm not saying that it's right or fair,  just that it's reality. It's nothing about acting like a top 6 club because at this moment in time, with the slight possible exception of Man City, the other 5 are in the same boat. If Mane for example wants to go to  Madrid, he'll end up going but at an extortionate price, just like Naymar did to PSG.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

This is what I don't get, not exclusively Wolves but every other club.

How do other teams manage to keep their players within reason, notably Spurs for example, they're poked fun at on here but they're decent, have decent players, don't pay massive wages from what I understand (I believe until recently perhaps that we pay higher wages), they don't win things so that can't be a reason for their players wanting to hang around, Alderwierld, I still don't understand why no-one triggered his release clause.

There are links to players at other clubs but it almost seems as if we get hounded, as Southampton did - and eventually they failed to find adequate replacements, I feel eventually we'll end up the same way.

It's a complement to our club, the talent we have and the talent we've attracted, but it's getting abit of a joke now, I think we're seen as a feeder club as Southampton were, I understand we can't stand in players ways and we'll struggle to attract the talent if we do stand in their way, currently we are seen as a progessive club which players can use a stepping stone towards a big move, which is good in someways but will only last for so long before it goes bang, we need to keep hold of these players, ultimately what are we aiming for, what is our ambition if we keep selling. I'm not saying we will roll over and sell but it's a scenario i'm concerned about.

Agree. I quote Wolves thought because I suspect we are in the shady world of agents here. Let's face it Neves is highly regarded by many yet there was not one serious link to him. Surely exactly the type of player Man Utd and many other clubs, with respect to Wolves, around Europe and much bigger than them,could use. Also both Boly and Coady won much praise and with clubs such as Arsenal and Man Utd wanting defenders not, to my knowledge, any link at all.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Whilst I clearly recognise the downside I think your missing the point. Ronaldo and Coutinho spring to mind. When a player really wants to go to a big club it generally happens, regardless of a clubs and supporters wishes. Once Marhez for example went mardy, there was little our owners could do. In an ideal world they'd say tough, your staying and if you don't play to the best of your ability you'll rot in the reserves until your contract expires and we'll ruin your career. It ain't going to happen though.

It's never going to happen both for monetary reasons and other effects on the playing staff who all mostly will harbour certain future ambitions. It may also be a reason that would stop certain young players signing for us in the first place if they see us as a club that would thwart such understandable ambitions.

I'm not saying that it's right or fair,  just that it's reality. It's nothing about acting like a top 6 club because at this moment in time, with the slight possible exception of Man City, the other 5 are in the same boat. If Mane for example wants to go to  Madrid, he'll end up going but at an extortionate price, just like Naymar did to PSG.

ronaldo and Coutinho not sold to a competitor

We should drop our trousers and sell everyone on the cheap and return graciously to the Championship.     Then the gutter press can make up shit about other Clubs that dare to threaten the so called big 6.  All said and done, OGS is the new Messiah, ManCity can buy who they like, Super Frank is the next coming and Poch will will something ‘one’ day.

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think the thing is with Wolves, is the likes of Neves and Jota would be expensive to prize away so there’s not a lot of point in bothering right now (plus the media are quicker to link English players away to the top 6 clubs in comparison to foreign players)

Then, their defence seems like it’s been assembled on very ordinary players, but they all can read the game well and are tactically set up, Willy Boly is the only one I think is outstanding yet he’s never been that great anywhere else (couldn’t get in Porto’s side) and Doherty is good too, but they are worth a lot more to Wolves with the success they have had with them than they are actually worth in the transfer market, so unlikely the top 6 would pay big money for their players considering a lot of them have had most of their success in this particular system that Nuno has set them up so well in.

Who would have thought Coady and Bennett would be solid Premier League centre halves a few years ago? I think a lot of that goes down to how well they work as a unit, and plaudits to them for doing so, rather than relying on individual ability. 

@The Bear, would you say this is a fair enough assessment? No disrespect intended by saying you have some ordinary players, I respect more the fact that your side work well together as a unit, reminiscent of us a few years ago. 

Some good thoughts here. I'm not sure the cost would put off the likes of Man Utd. 80 million for Harry was expensive but it didn't stop them. I just find the general lack of links to their players quite suspect in a way. I don't recall Boly being mentioned when several teams were known to be in need of a centre half. Maybe he isn't that good but for a side that finished 7th, played some decent football, but should be considered as a middle ranking club in terms of size I think the lack of interest (judging of course on the unreliable press) in their players is surprising.

56 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

ronaldo and Coutinho not sold to a competitor

At that time do you seriously not think Madrid were not a competitor to United? The world doesn't stop at the Premiership and arguably the overall results in the Champions league both in money terms and attracting players are just as big. It really doesn't matter whether the team is a direct competitor or not really and, lest we forget,  at this moment in time, Everton, West Ham and Wolves etc are more our direct competitors. Whatever problems United are having now, like it or not, will always be seen as bigger than us. They will eventually buy their way out of this and get back into Europe.

31 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think the thing is with Wolves, is the likes of Neves and Jota would be expensive to prize away so there’s not a lot of point in bothering right now (plus the media are quicker to link English players away to the top 6 clubs in comparison to foreign players)

Then, their defence seems like it’s been assembled on very ordinary players, but they all can read the game well and are tactically set up, Willy Boly is the only one I think is outstanding yet he’s never been that great anywhere else (couldn’t get in Porto’s side) and Doherty is good too, but they are worth a lot more to Wolves with the success they have had with them than they are actually worth in the transfer market, so unlikely the top 6 would pay big money for their players considering a lot of them have had most of their success in this particular system that Nuno has set them up so well in.

Who would have thought Coady and Bennett would be solid Premier League centre halves a few years ago? I think a lot of that goes down to how well they work as a unit, and plaudits to them for doing so, rather than relying on individual ability. 

@The Bear, would you say this is a fair enough assessment? No disrespect intended by saying you have some ordinary players, I respect more the fact that your side work well together as a unit, reminiscent of us a few years ago. 

Yes pretty much spot on. Coady was signed as a midfielder, then played RB, and once Nuno came in moved to that central of the back three sweeping up and pinging diagonal balls. His turnaround in form is remarkable. As is Doherty's at RWB. He is a poor full-back and has played both sides with some severe defensive faults, but given license to make forward runs he's also been transformed. Bennett has proven a lot of Wolves fans wrong with his solidity. Though if there is any clear position to upgrade in the defence it's his, as his distribution can be very limited, and he struggles against pace. 

Edited by The Bear