Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Blue ROI

Newcastle H Post Match Thread 5 - 0

On 30/09/2019 at 12:50, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers has us playing "system football" which is the product of him having the whole team for a preaseason over the summer without having to go touring around the world and the result of being an exceptional coach. This upturn in form is not the result of signing a new player like Kante who causes a revolution in the way we play. These are the same players with one or two squad additions and in fact you could argue that Perez in terms of output has been one of the worst players for us so far. (So "bad" we are third in the table and smashed his old team 5-0 by the way). For all of those who were moaning about Puel holding us back, you have well and truly been vindicated, and I say that as someone who got behind the previous manager as much as possible. The proof is in the pudding!

Under Puel we controlled games with lots of possesion but it was sideways and backwards. Our fullbacks pushed on and did a good job getting to the byline to cross to... Jamie Vardy who was released as a teenager because he wasn't considered physical enough to be a top striker. If you want a throwback to how we used to play, look at Man United right now because they play in exactly the same way:

- Double pivot to control the game, but ends up slowing all attacks down.

- Fullbacks push on and wide forwards cut in for a shot.

- Put in plenty of crosses to a striker not well suited for that type of play.

- Slow, pedantic pace means the opponents have time to get into a low block and deal with attacks quite comfortably.

With Rodgers, do you notice that we score the same type of goal over and over again? Someone wins the ball high up the pitch through systematic team pressing and compacting the play, followed by quick passing and quick low crosses or passes across the box around the 6 yard line. It's almost like it was planned! Features of our play now are:

- High press

- Mobile attacking midfielders. Look how far forwards Tielemans or Maddison get, they often are further forward than Vardy!

- Players drift between the lines.

- Fullbacks push on much more and are expected to even get into the box in the case of Ricardo. (Technically we play a bit lopsided because of this, but same point).

- Quick vertical (IE up the pitch) passing that is kept on the ground. No messing about.

- If we lose the ball on an attack we press it back to win it back and recycle the ball

- Look to put a dangerous pass into Vardy on a player joining the attack late in the box.

We are similar but slightly different to Liverpool. They are much better, but as the league table shows, we aren't too bad at all.

This is all because of fabulous coaching. That's what makes it so incredible really! Brendan is proving he is one of the best, maybe even elite level.

On and whi;st Rodgers has always been thought of as being poor in the transfer market, as a club we are one of the best at that. Yes we've had misses too, but Soyuncu was planned magnificently, Maddison a steal, Ricardo right now the best Right Back in Europe, Praet fits like a glove already. Even Perez can clearly play the system even if he's not set the world on fire. And this is not even dipping into the history books to look at the team that cost 25m and won the league.

The next 3-5 years as a Leicester fan are going to be incredible. All of these players are going to get better!

As a matter of interest do you think it was a coincidence that Tielemans had his best game of this season when Maddison was absent? One other point: we are equal with Liverpool in having the best defence in the League which fact alone demonstrates how good Soyuncu and Evans have been. Let's hope it survives our impending visit to Anfield.

• Like 2

My only real fear is... this is till a very young team, there will be games/times when it all goes to sh1t.

I wouldnt be surprised to see us grab a draw at Anfield then get bonked 4-0 by Burnley.

I think last year i said the 20/21 season would be ours... if we can manage to keep most of this team i still think this.

24 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

My only real fear is... this is till a very young team, there will be games/times when it all goes to sh1t.

I wouldnt be surprised to see us grab a draw at Anfield then get bonked 4-0 by Burnley.

I think last year i said the 20/21 season would be ours... if we can manage to keep most of this team i still think this.

Like you said, this is a very, very young team. But for it’s age it’s still very experienced. But we need to learn from experiences like Man Utd though. The players and Rodgers that is. 

• Like 2

On 30/09/2019 at 09:18, st albans fox said:

Not sure that many noticed the difference between yesterday’s sideways passing and what we saw last year ........ yesterday’s passes were far sharper and less dallying around on the ball -  I wondered if the back four had done extra work on ball control to cope with the faster inbound speed...... anyway, this quicker passing exposes the opposition flanks faster and creates more one on ones ..........  it also wears out their players ...... nice to see us doing it after watching us chase the ball for so many years against the top sides 

The difference for me was that under Puel it always seemed to end up going back to Kasper giving the opposition all the time in the world to reset.  On Sunday the sideways passing was further up the pitch so when gaps appeared the ball got into the final third more quickly.  Only works when all of the back four are confident passers of the ball though.

5 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

The difference for me was that under Puel it always seemed to end up going back to Kasper giving the opposition all the time in the world to reset.  On Sunday the sideways passing was further up the pitch so when gaps appeared the ball got into the final third more quickly.  Only works when all of the back four are confident passers of the ball though.

I actually think quite differently. Under Puel we were alot more reluctant to hit teams on the break than we are now and whilst it would often end up with kasper it was after we passed around their 18 yard line without attempting to do anything else for 5 minutes. Where as we seem to play it around alot at the back, drawing teams further up the pitch and pulling them out so they cant just camp 9 players in their box under Rodgers. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 00:50, StriderHiryu said:

Rodgers has us playing "system football" which is the product of him having the whole team for a preaseason over the summer without having to go touring around the world and the result of being an exceptional coach. This upturn in form is not the result of signing a new player like Kante who causes a revolution in the way we play. These are the same players with one or two squad additions and in fact you could argue that Perez in terms of output has been one of the worst players for us so far. (So "bad" we are third in the table and smashed his old team 5-0 by the way). For all of those who were moaning about Puel holding us back, you have well and truly been vindicated, and I say that as someone who got behind the previous manager as much as possible. The proof is in the pudding!

Under Puel we controlled games with lots of possesion but it was sideways and backwards. Our fullbacks pushed on and did a good job getting to the byline to cross to... Jamie Vardy who was released as a teenager because he wasn't considered physical enough to be a top striker. If you want a throwback to how we used to play, look at Man United right now because they play in exactly the same way:

- Double pivot to control the game, but ends up slowing all attacks down.

- Fullbacks push on and wide forwards cut in for a shot.

- Put in plenty of crosses to a striker not well suited for that type of play.

- Slow, pedantic pace means the opponents have time to get into a low block and deal with attacks quite comfortably.

With Rodgers, do you notice that we score the same type of goal over and over again? Someone wins the ball high up the pitch through systematic team pressing and compacting the play, followed by quick passing and quick low crosses or passes across the box around the 6 yard line. It's almost like it was planned! Features of our play now are:

- High press

- Mobile attacking midfielders. Look how far forwards Tielemans or Maddison get, they often are further forward than Vardy!

- Players drift between the lines.

- Fullbacks push on much more and are expected to even get into the box in the case of Ricardo. (Technically we play a bit lopsided because of this, but same point).

- Quick vertical (IE up the pitch) passing that is kept on the ground. No messing about.

- If we lose the ball on an attack we press it back to win it back and recycle the ball

- Look to put a dangerous pass into Vardy on a player joining the attack late in the box.

We are similar but slightly different to Liverpool. They are much better, but as the league table shows, we aren't too bad at all.

This is all because of fabulous coaching. That's what makes it so incredible really! Brendan is proving he is one of the best, maybe even elite level.

On and whi;st Rodgers has always been thought of as being poor in the transfer market, as a club we are one of the best at that. Yes we've had misses too, but Soyuncu was planned magnificently, Maddison a steal, Ricardo right now the best Right Back in Europe, Praet fits like a glove already. Even Perez can clearly play the system even if he's not set the world on fire. And this is not even dipping into the history books to look at the team that cost 25m and won the league.

The next 3-5 years as a Leicester fan are going to be incredible. All of these players are going to get better!

The next step for Rodgers and our team is getting regular goals from Barnes and Perez, if he can do that then we are going to be some force.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

As a matter of interest do you think it was a coincidence that Tielemans had his best game of this season when Maddison was absent? One other point: we are equal with Liverpool in having the best defence in the League which fact alone demonstrates how good Soyuncu and Evans have been. Let's hope it survives our impending visit to Anfield.

Interesting question regarding Tielemans. He did look better having more licence to drive forwards in this game. Usually Maddison plays a bit more forward than Youri, whereas in this game, he took on the Maddison role and Praet filled in for Tielemans usual role. Arguably the more attacking role suits him better than the role he traditionally plays for us and you could also argue that he's a better finisher than Maddison in that position too. However, I do think it's a coincidence - that game was effectively over after 15 minutes and Tielemans had the freedom of Newcastle in that game as a result. He was very good, but I don't think it's a case of his game being stifled or vice-versa. When we've played 4141 this season, both Maddison and Tielemans look better in my view, and it's not like only one player can go forwards as the two of them interchange which one pushes up, hence the goal Youri scored against Bournemouth or the goal he scored last season against Arsenal when Maddison crossed to him.

As for Soyuncu and Evans, they have been arguably the best defensive pair in the whole division this season. I think Soyuncu's pace means as a pairing they are stronger than Maguire and Evans and we've improved as a result. But it must also be noted that Leicester have also faced the second least amount of shots on goal this season, which speaks volumes about how good Ndidi, the fullbacks and the team in general are playing. We are winning the ball back much further up the pitch now, so the defenders aren't up against it as much as under Puel.

Overall as mentioned before, it's our system football that is behind this resurgence in form. Biggest difference between Rodgers and Puel for me is that we are a front-foot team now. By not giving the opposition time to settle, they have to deal with wave after wave of attacks and the whole team is 10 yards further up the field than before. You saw signs of it last season when the manager came in, but preseason and the 10-ish games we've had so far have made it much more effective. What's even more exciting is that the team is still learning the nuances of this style of play. Whenever I've been to a game and watched our movement and shape off the ball, it's good but it actually has a lot of room for further improvement. Specifically our wide forwards could do a lot more - the defensive side of the game they have got to grasps with, but not one of them has truly contributed massively to our attack yet. Look at Serge Gnabry's performance for Bayern last night for what a great wide forward can really do!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

The next step for Rodgers and our team is getting regular goals from Barnes and Perez, if he can do that then we are going to be some force.

Ha yep! I literally just wrote the same thing!

Ric Flair and StriderHiryu management team for Leicester in 2021, you read it here first! lol 

I'll tell Rudkin to work on the Brais Mendez deal right now to make sure he's in place for preseason :whistle:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Ha yep! I literally just wrote the same thing!

Ric Flair and StriderHiryu management team for Leicester in 2021, you read it here first! lol 

I'll tell Rudkin to work on the Brais Mendez deal right now to make sure he's in place for preseason :whistle:

Hahahahaaaa going straight over Congerton's head, that's what we like to see!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Koke said:

Our wingers are our weakest point. Every other area we look good. We need more goals and assists from Barnea, Albrighton, Perez and Gray.

We need to work out how to feed Perez in dangerous areas, he can finish and get goals. He's done it enough at this level, but we're not even close to putting him through in dangerous positions where he can cause damage. That's on the rest of the team and him. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Apologies for picking out just one point, it just stood out. 

I think this over simplifies it all somewhat. Rodgers is a superior coach to Puel, we all know what and we all knew it before he even took over here. But the arguments around Puel and what he had to deal with still stand. He was transitioning the team into a passing one, from the one dimensional team we'd become. He was ridding the squad of old players and blooding youth. He had quite a few of his squad playing their first full season in this league last year lets not forget, and he was also doing it with Mendy as his best option to back up N'did in midfield. No Tielemans, no Praet, no Barnes for half of it. Soyuncu was just arrived and didn't know the language. We can only guess what benefit all theses players had from a season at this level. 

I'm not sure we'd be getting the same results if Rodgers had taken over last summer as he'd still be dealing with those issues. This summer, other than a few shit signings we've had to ship out on loan we're in a far healthier position than we were. Could someone have done better, I don't think you can say no. But I also think the position we're in now after that season means we're far stronger for it. 

Fair enough and even putting new manager bounce to one side, Rodgers came in and made us more attacking without being carved open at the back. Puel's two league games that we had Tielemans here for and finally binned off the double DCM pivot of Ndidi and Mendy resulted in a harsh but defensively weak 3-1 defeat at Spurs and then an absolute horror show of a 4-1 home defeat to Palace. There's improvements all over the pitch, none more so than how we managed to free up space for Vardy to run in behind and wreak devastation, this was a player that Puel was genuinely planning for a future without him as our talisman. I will never, ever even remotely consider that Puel would be reaping any rewards like what Rodgers is, he simply hasn't the man management nor the understanding of the English game to have done so. He was superb at rebuilding this squad for us, that I won't deny. He has set the ball rolling here, he played hardball with a number of ex title winners that was likely harsh but the end result is we've now got one of the most exciting squads in the whole country.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Fair enough and even putting new manager bounce to one side, Rodgers came in and made us more attacking without being carved open at the back. Puel's two league games that we had Tielemans here for and finally binned off the double DCM pivot of Ndidi and Mendy resulted in a harsh but defensively weak 3-1 defeat at Spurs and then an absolute horror show of a 4-1 home defeat to Palace. There's improvements all over the pitch, none more so than how we managed to free up space for Vardy to run in behind and wreak devastation, this was a player that Puel was genuinely planning for a future without him as our talisman. I will never, ever even remotely consider that Puel would be reaping any rewards like what Rodgers is, he simply hasn't the man management nor the understanding of the English game to have done so. He was superb at rebuilding this squad for us, that I won't deny. He has set the ball rolling here, he played hardball with a number of ex title winners that was likely harsh but the end result is we've now got one of the most exciting squads in the whole country.

He wouldn't be, and I don't think anyone would even suggest it. He had enough time to see some sort of improvement and we didn't get it, simple as that. I just think the "he was holding us back" comments are missing the points I mentioned. Towards the end of his reign, that's a fair enough comment as we were getting to the point of having ironed out a lot of the squad issues. But at the start, there was a huge rebuilding job to do. I'm amazed we've managed it so quickly to be honest, so credit to the club for that, it's been one hell of a transformation. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He wouldn't be, and I don't think anyone would even suggest it. He had enough time to see some sort of improvement and we didn't get it, simple as that. I just think the "he was holding us back" comments are missing the points I mentioned. Towards the end of his reign, that's a fair enough comment as we were getting to the point of having ironed out a lot of the squad issues. But at the start, there was a huge rebuilding job to do. I'm amazed we've managed it so quickly to be honest, so credit to the club for that, it's been one hell of a transformation. 

I agree, there are too many things that happen at this club where I have to just appreciate how fortunate and perhaps lucky we might be. Whatever the real reasons are for what is happening, this is the greatest period of our existence and I'm trying to enjoy it hahaha

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

We need to work out how to feed Perez in dangerous areas, he can finish and get goals. He's done it enough at this level, but we're not even close to putting him through in dangerous positions where he can cause damage. That's on the rest of the team and him. 

Albrighton is the missing link for me. During overloads on the left he can switch the play for Ricardo to set up Perez, a lot of Perez's goals for Newcastle are headers & Albrighton loves a cross to the backpost, Albrighton is a good passer of the ball short or long, he is always trying to play it forwards, etc... Obviously Albrighton isn't the long term solution but at the moment for me, he's still our best winger :dunno:.

One thing Perez does need to start doing is making diagonal runs. Think of all the times Vardy is dragging defenders all over the place, Perez should be exploiting the space left behind & Albrighton is someone who can pick out those runs !

Edited by Shane
  • Like 3

Our LCFC - NUFC match thread ran 25 pages,  Sunderland’s: 54 pages  :blink:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/leicester-v-the-mags-4-30-ko.1488183/page-54

I couldn’t be bothered to read much of it, but must warn you, the world is now dangerously close to running out of  lol emojis.

Clearly a big rivalry there, but FFS -- a 54 page match thread on two other teams playing in a different league?!  What is the deal with these people?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingsX said:

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/leicester-v-the-mags-4-30-ko.1488183/page-54

I couldn’t be bothered to read much of it, but must warn you, the world is now dangerously close to running out of  lol emojis.

Clearly a big rivalry there, but FFS -- a 54 page match thread on two other teams playing in a different league?!  What is the deal with these people?

They used to have a thread about us every day when they were in the PL lol

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Interesting question regarding Tielemans. He did look better having more licence to drive forwards in this game. Usually Maddison plays a bit more forward than Youri, whereas in this game, he took on the Maddison role and Praet filled in for Tielemans usual role. Arguably the more attacking role suits him better than the role he traditionally plays for us and you could also argue that he's a better finisher than Maddison in that position too. However, I do think it's a coincidence - that game was effectively over after 15 minutes and Tielemans had the freedom of Newcastle in that game as a result. He was very good, but I don't think it's a case of his game being stifled or vice-versa. When we've played 4141 this season, both Maddison and Tielemans look better in my view, and it's not like only one player can go forwards as the two of them interchange which one pushes up, hence the goal Youri scored against Bournemouth or the goal he scored last season against Arsenal when Maddison crossed to him.

As for Soyuncu and Evans, they have been arguably the best defensive pair in the whole division this season. I think Soyuncu's pace means as a pairing they are stronger than Maguire and Evans and we've improved as a result. But it must also be noted that Leicester have also faced the second least amount of shots on goal this season, which speaks volumes about how good Ndidi, the fullbacks and the team in general are playing. We are winning the ball back much further up the pitch now, so the defenders aren't up against it as much as under Puel.

Overall as mentioned before, it's our system football that is behind this resurgence in form. Biggest difference between Rodgers and Puel for me is that we are a front-foot team now. By not giving the opposition time to settle, they have to deal with wave after wave of attacks and the whole team is 10 yards further up the field than before. You saw signs of it last season when the manager came in, but preseason and the 10-ish games we've had so far have made it much more effective. What's even more exciting is that the team is still learning the nuances of this style of play. Whenever I've been to a game and watched our movement and shape off the ball, it's good but it actually has a lot of room for further improvement. Specifically our wide forwards could do a lot more - the defensive side of the game they have got to grasps with, but not one of them has truly contributed massively to our attack yet. Look at Serge Gnabry's performance for Bayern last night for what a great wide forward can really do!

A fascinating summary. Your reference to Gnabry reminded me that our signings of defenders and mid-fielders have been very shrewd; our forwards not so good (not including Vardy and Mahrez of course!).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I know the whole "it's like a religion up there" stuff is played out abit, but fairplay to them they're a fantastic support. 

No one boos their teams more than teams in the North East. Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough are the best booers in the country hands down. 

21 hours ago, KingsX said:

Why do they type in their accents, bloody weirdos.