Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

England squad for Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Bulgaria - Chilwell and Maddison

2 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

What’s wrong with Henderson and Winks? Both very good midfielders. 

I like Henderson, I think a lot of the criticism he gets is unjustified. I don't get Winks though, I just don't know what he is supposed to be. He has that Andy King trick of being invisible for large parts of games and doesn't score goals or add steel to a midfield. He might get better but I don't think he is what England need.

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Southgate and love in with Chelsea is pretty laughable. If Tomori played for Leicester he'd had to perform for over a year to even be considered. If Barkley played for Leicester he wouldn't even be near the squad. 

Isn't it more a reflection of how bad are choice at centre half options are though? Our full back options are decent but I can't think of an English centre half I would trust against one of the better international sides. At this point he is probably ready to try pretty much anything.

Guest An Sionnach

If Maguire was worth 80m then John Terry would fetch 160m and Steve Walsh would be well over a 100m .Just don't mention John Stones!!!

43 minutes ago, mancunianfox said:

Isn't it more a reflection of how bad are choice at centre half options are though? Our full back options are decent but I can't think of an English centre half I would trust against one of the better international sides. At this point he is probably ready to try pretty much anything.

It's not like there aren't others playing in the league, Tarkowski and Dunk both been looked at before, Mee will never get in no matter how well he performs (not suggesting they are the answer). There just seems to be one rule for players from some clubs and one for everyone else. Maddison getting overlooked last season for Mount playing in the championship shows that. 

Edited by Babylon

1 hour ago, mancunianfox said:

I like Henderson, I think a lot of the criticism he gets is unjustified. I don't get Winks though, I just don't know what he is supposed to be. He has that Andy King trick of being invisible for large parts of games and doesn't score goals or add steel to a midfield. He might get better but I don't think he is what England need.

I know what you mean here, Winks is a tidy footballer who likes to sit deep and if you sit off him will pick nice little passes around you but I don't think there is really room for that sort of midfielder in the modern game any longer, you need to be a bit more all action than he is.

Can't wait for all the hype and over reaction by the press as us being the next world Cup winners after scraping past Bulgaria 1-0.

The only thing more frustrating than watching England's sloppy negative football is the over hype from the press after. 

I'm still struggling to see how we had such a good world Cup having been bummed by the only good teams we played. 

22 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's not like there aren't others playing in the league, Tarkowski and Dunk both been looked at before, Mee will never get in no matter how well he performs (not suggesting they are the answer). There just seems to be one rule for players from some clubs and one for everyone else. Maddison getting overlooked last season for Mount playing in the championship shows that. 

Geoff made a point about Conor Coady, whose been playing consistently in the prem for a season and a half (longer than both Mings and Tomori) yet hasn't received a call up.

If they're just testing people out, it wouldn't hurt to call him up and see what he's about in the England setup, rather than just doing the usual and going for anyone at the big 6. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I know what you mean here, Winks is a tidy footballer who likes to sit deep and if you sit off him will pick nice little passes around you but I don't think there is really room for that sort of midfielder in the modern game any longer, you need to be a bit more all action than he is.

It's great having that ability, but as you said, you need something about you. Whether that be strength and breaking up play or the ability to assist and score goals. Winks keeps things ticking over but in a midfield 3 you then have to rely on another being a defensive minded player to help stop the other teams flow.

• Like 2

We don't really narrowly beat these teams anymore, it's pretty comprehensive stuff, every time I say this I'm amazed by how easy a group we get but this one really must be the simplest we could possibly have had. Much as Kosovo are fun to watch they play right into our hands.

Be interested to see us get a real test again. The Holland performance in Portugal was a total shambles. I wonder if we've improved since.

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Southgate and love in with Chelsea is pretty laughable. If Tomori played for Leicester he'd had to perform for over a year to even be considered. If Barkley played for Leicester he wouldn't even be near the squad. 

Reece James will be next. Probably be first choice ahead of TAA after a couple good games for Chelsea. 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

The same Tarkowski and Dunk that our fans wouldn’t be happy if we signed? I think that just backs up his point 

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

It's great having that ability, but as you said, you need something about you. Whether that be strength and breaking up play or the ability to assist and score goals. Winks keeps things ticking over but in a midfield 3 you then have to rely on another being a defensive minded player to help stop the other teams flow.

A lot of Spurs fans don’t rate Winks because of this. Him playing as a DM leaves them exposed and I assume he is back up for Rice in this position. Not ideal. I think Hamza easily breaks into the squad next season if we get into Europe & more game time is available.

4 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

The same Tarkowski and Dunk that our fans wouldn’t be happy if we signed? I think that just backs up his point 

Because our fans are known to be always right aren't they. Plus you're missing the point. 

35 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

The fact no one was that happy about it was more to do with ££ i think. I mean they are not bad players, but were no where near worth half of what was being asked for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

The fact no one was that happy about it was more to do with ££ i think. I mean they are not bad players, but were no where near worth half of what was being asked for them. 

The original poster was saying the options weren’t great and that they wouldn’t be trusted against international level strikers. 

I was simply stating that if those two were good enough for that level surely Leicester fans would want them, even at that cost. I’m not slating the players, they are decent in their own right but they just aren’t good enough for a team that wants to win international competitions imo. 

Southgate has gone for youth because there is greater potential of that option reaching the heights we are aiming for. The ceiling for Dunk and Tarkowski has pretty much been met already. 

Again just my opinion, perhaps it just highlights how far our team has come. Not good enough for Leicester but good enough for England. Imagine saying that to someone 6 years ago. 

Guest An Sionnach

The days when the standard of international football was better than top club football is long gone . No international team would beat a top club team .

Edited by An Sionnach

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Wow, 3 starts in the PL now qualifies you to be one of the best CBs that England has. Anyone would think that the England assistant manager used to be youth team coach at Chelsea.....

In fairness, there aren't many good English centrebacks floating around atm, can count them on both hands:

Maguire, Gomez, Keane, Stones, Dunk, Tarkowski... Mings? Coady I guess, but he's only ever played in a three as a CB. 

26 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

In fairness, there aren't many good English centrebacks floating around atm, can count them on both hands:

Maguire, Gomez, Keane, Stones, Dunk, Tarkowski... Mings? Coady I guess, but he's only ever played in a three as a CB. 

Thats 8 you've named and thats plenty considering you'd only need 4/5 in a squad

48 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Right, but none of them exactly stand out, why not give a young centreback a chance, if he settles in well it could be a great deal.

That's fine if the same principle is applied irrespective of who you play for. That clearly isn't the case with England. To give a different example, do you really think Dwight McNeil wouldn't have had a call up if he played for Chelsea, rather than Burnley?

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

That's fine if the same principle is applied irrespective of who you play for. That clearly isn't the case with England. To give a different example, do you really think Dwight McNeil wouldn't have had a call up if he played for Chelsea, rather than Burnley?

Right, but it's a bit different getting past Sancho, Sterling, and Rashford than it is Maguire, Stones, and Keane, who have all shat the bed multiple times playing for England. 

Also, Chelsea play a very similar system of football to the English NT compared to Burnley (both formation and style of play), which presumably makes integrating players easier, which is also why the likes of Tarkowski, Dunk, Coady are snubbed - either playing in back threes or being much more balls to the wall.