Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

England squad for Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Bulgaria - Chilwell and Maddison

34 minutes ago, twister said:

I do wonder if this is playing out the same as the Vardy and Southgate situations..Vardy was  always out of the squard for minor reason and very quick to retire and very quick to say he would not return for england, I do not think that was out of desire of not wanting to play for his country.

Vardy I get the feeling if he ever does a book might tell a few truths about his time with england under southgate,  might be a interesting read.

Madison I get the feeling has a simular relationship,  wants a free number 10 role but southgate prefers inside wingers with out and out pace like sancho, or Mount who is more of a inside 8.

I don't think there was anything in the Vardy situation other than his style of play doesn't suit England's. And he wasn't going to displace Kane

Guest An Sionnach

From what I have seen Mason Mount is a pretty good player , however look what playing for England did to Lingard , Ali, Rashford , Chilwell etc. etc. etc.. if I was him I'd throw a sickie like James .

I'd like to think the illness is genuine, pretty sure it will be, and makes sense for him to leave the squad rather than risk spreading to others. I think he would have started against Bulgaria, if we beat Czech Rep but him not being there makes it easier for Southagte. He isn't going to get many opportunities to push himself into Euros squad.

Hopefully Mount plays rather than Barkley.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Few sources online claiming he's suffering from "Maguireah" 

I reckon #JM10 will let us know accordingly. 

This really does SLUB. 

Edited by mozartfox
  • Thanks 1

I feel for Maddison, there isn't a more deserving player in England to get his first senior cap at the moment.

It will come of course, but his early season form completely merits it! Rodgers said he wants to adapt his game in the same way he did for Philip Coutinho, and I think Maddison will reap the rewards as a result. We'll be fending off the bids for him in the summer that's for sure. 

Must be concerned about getting injured prior to the Sun's report of the incoming double swoop by super OGS for him and Chilly. Of course little old Leicester will willingly oblige and have no say whatsoever about their under contract players. 

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

I feel for Maddison, there isn't a more deserving player in England to get his first senior cap at the moment.

It will come of course, but his early season form completely merits it! Rodgers said he wants to adapt his game in the same way he did for Philip Coutinho, and I think Maddison will reap the rewards as a result. We'll be fending off the bids for him in the summer that's for sure. 

How did he adapt Coutinho's game? 

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Classic case of over-analysing here.

Maddison has only recently made the breakthrough into the senior squad, he's not going to drop out because he can't be arsed, he'll be desperate to make an impression in that squad.

He has fallen ill, he's a human being and will be susceptible to viruses, colds and whatever else at this time of year like the rest of us.

on FoxesTalk??!! Never!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Walkers said:

I don't think there was anything in the Vardy situation other than his style of play doesn't suit England's. And he wasn't going to displace Kane

The fact that England had no idea of what a gem of a player Vardy is.

They didn't even pass to him when he did actually get those 5 minute cameos!

No wonder he quit, and he did the right thing. Lots of extra travelling & training, only to sit on the bench.

England's loss, our gain.

1 hour ago, Billy Big Balls said:

How did he adapt Coutinho's game? 

“Maddison is the type of player who will drift from position to position, I remember working with Coutinho at Liverpool, sometimes he’d play inside, sometimes he’d drift off the side. James is a little bit like that in terms of positioning,” Rodgers said after the match.

“He will continue to work. His job was to create and score goals, he’ll keep working on that. He was unlucky on the free kick.

He has a threat to get in behind, he was unlucky when the keeper makes a save with his ankle, I think it was. He was unfortunate there. That’s what it’s about for him: numbers, creating goals, scoring goals. It’s only his second season at this level and he’s already showing great talent."

Liverpool.jpg

The changes I see in Maddison's game this season are:
- More durable in terms of athleticism. Doesn't tire as much, capable of more defensive work.

- Drifts between the lines and finds spaces far more often. In fact to give him credit, he is among the best (the best?) in the division at doing this. Even in games he's played off to one side such as against Chelsea, he was brilliant at doing this.

- Seemingly better end product. Important goals against good teams like Spurs and Liverpool.

There's a reason why Coutinho went for so much money even if he didn't live up the hype. He was for a time one of the top 2 or 3 players in the league for me, probably behind Hazard and KDB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1