Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lcfc-1992

Burnley pre match

44 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I think we're at the point where "Do we start Praet?" shouldn't even be part of the conversation.  The question should be how we best construct a formation with Praet as part of it.

For me, right now that's a 4-1-2-1-2 with Perez alongside Vardy up top.  Against a club like Burnley the fullbacks should be playing high enough up the pitch to provide depth.  The only real alternative is to use either Praet or Tielemans as a winger.  I'm not against the idea on principle, but I think that's a better option against a more positive-possession side than Burnley.

Assuming you mean width, I just don't trust Chilwell to hold the left flank properly. I also don't think Tielemans has the stamina required for the position. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

strange how it’s Burnley again and the same result a distinct possibility ....

We were pretty unlucky last season though. I remember their keeper made two outstanding saves in the first 20 minutes. Another good test for us I reckon as breaking down teams at home was our Achilles heel last time round. Personally I’m pretty confident after the Newcastle match. I won’t take Burnley for granted but we are a much more creative side these days. Worst case scenario we put Praet, Tielemans and Maddison on all at once and I don’t think they will be able to live with them. 

I wouldn’t be too surprised if we start with a 442 diamond actually as Burnley play a classic 442 and cede possession to the opposition. Matching two strikers up against their CBs and having all three creative players in the mix would be a good way to cause them problems. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We were pretty unlucky last season though. I remember their keeper made two outstanding saves in the first 20 minutes. Another good test for us I reckon as breaking down teams at home was our Achilles heel last time round. Personally I’m pretty confident after the Newcastle match. I won’t take Burnley for granted but we are a much more creative side these days. Worst case scenario we put Praet, Tielemans and Maddison on all at once and I don’t think they will be able to live with them. 

I wouldn’t be too surprised if we start with a 442 diamond actually as Burnley play a classic 442 and cede possession to the opposition. Matching two strikers up against their CBs and having all three creative players in the mix would be a good way to cause them problems. 

They do get the ball forward much faster than most teams which puts some pressure on an isolated wilf.  Less chance of us pressing high and turning over possession ......I’m sure Brendan has a plan  

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They do get the ball forward much faster than most teams which puts some pressure on an isolated wilf.  Less chance of us pressing high and turning over possession ......I’m sure Brendan has a plan  

Well the thing is they literally play the ball long, and Ndidi has one of the best aerial clearance rates in the division. Evans is no slouch either. Again I don't want to underestimate them because route one can sometimes be incredibly effective, but I can see a game where we have Evans, Soyuncu and Ndidi acting as a 3 of sorts when we have the ball and literally everyone else pushing up to break them down. Usually one full back also drops back to watch out for a fast turnover, but because of the way they play we might not even do that. Their tactic is usually to go long to Wood or Barnes and win the physical battle, not look for the ball in behind the full backs who have vacated the space. That said Dwight McNeil is a promising player for them!

But I do agree, this isn't a team where we can rob them of the ball high up the pitch because Burnley don't make sideways passes. It will all be about fast passing and movement between the lines, hence why the attacking midfielders will be key to the result.

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

What can you expect from Burnley?

With Sean’s teams, they’re super organised. They set up 4-4-2, with Barnes and Wood up front are a threat. They work tirelessly. They play a system that isn’t complicated but they play it very well. It’s a challenge. These are the types of games that we have struggled with over the past 18 months but we showed against Newcastle that we’re learning. And we love playing at home.

How will City cope against teams that sit deep?

It’s just constant. On the field, looking at positioning and the spaces. Looking at videos of where the team needs to be in certain moments. You need to have bodies on the inside the break through. You need to have runners off the ball. You need to have patience. But is has to be at speed. It might take an hour to tire the opponent and then you can make the breakthrough. The players are adaptable and we can change the system.

Like hearing this, shows we are prepared for teams like this and have the ability to go to a plan B if needed. Says to me we start 4141 and go to the Diamond after an hour if that's not working.

COYB! :scarf:

• Like 1

Kasper

Evans      Cags         

Ricardo                                       Chilwell

Ndidi

Praet                      Youri

Madders

Vardy

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Kasper

Evans      Cags         

Ricardo                                       Chilwell

Ndidi

Praet                      Youri

Madders

Vardy

Barnes as well up front and it's not a bad side provided the fullbacks can provide width.

But it's not something we should be playing against a side that plays a flat 4-4-2. We'll need to play wingers against them otherwise Ricardo and Chilwell will be double marked.