Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agreed, so it's a bit of a conundrum like Kane but in their case, they have a very decent player in Son both as a temporary back up and also support player in other positions. 

I saw the purchase of Perez as our similar halfway house should anything happen to Vardy but also see in him as more than capable of fulfilling other roles.

Spot on. Vardy is great and I am sure we all feel privilieged to witness his time at city, but he also represents so much about this club, that the time he does inevitably jack it in - is frickin scary :blink:

• Like 1

I’d be happy as we are in January unless someone too good to be true becomes available for a decent price.

in the summer id go for a centre back to replace Wes and a long term replacement for vardy. Best to get him know so can bed in before the inevitable happens. God knows who though as vardy is as irreplaceable as they come 

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Iheanacho has scored four goals for us in the premiership in over 50 appearances . Perez is a ten goal per season player at best . We do not want to see this club decline when Jamie begins to fade so it is vital we look for an eventual replacement now .

Perez scored 12 goals last season playing for a Necastle side who created far less chances than we're doing now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I’d be happy as we are in January unless someone too good to be true becomes available for a decent price.

in the summer id go for a centre back to replace Wes and a long term replacement for vardy. Best to get him know so can bed in before the inevitable happens. God knows who though as vardy is as irreplaceable as they come 

Ideally this. The CB situation makes me uneasy mind, and its not just if Cags or Jonny pick up an injury. Both got a yellow against Palace, so bans will soon occur.

Love Wes, but he is not ideal for the high energy way of playing, and unless Benk gains miraculous match fitness, we are going to short.

As for a striker - this topic has no happy ending.

18 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's going to be a very quiet January for us as I can't see us buying anyone for the immediate first team.

We do need an extra CB as cover though, especially if Benkovic goes out on loan.

Over the last few years we've made a few mistakes but crucially, we've learned from them too.

People say we need a new striker as cover/competition for Vardy.

We won't be signing one. 

We don't need one.

We spent £29m on Slimani and £25m on Iheanacho, both to replace Okazaki, within the space of a year.

The best replacement for Okazaki turned out to be Okazaki.

Slimani will soon be gone to Monaco permanently, while Iheanacho is getting a goal a game in early cup matches.

We won't be making another costly mistake for something we don't need.

I don't think we'll be buying a top level winger either.

Our first XI is pretty settled at the minute - almost as predictable as Ranieri's 2016 side.

After 11 games, Perez has 3 goals and 1 assist while Barnes has 1 goal and 4 assists. 

Gray has created 5 goals in the last fortnight.

Buying a winger in January could risk upsetting the harmony of the squad, who have so far won 10 out of 14 games this season in all competitions.

In short, there's nothing broken currently that needs fixing. 

Or at least be extremely cautious, as we always are, in the January window.

To be honest I do think they’ll bring in another wide man but someone who is also capable of playing down the middle someone similar to Perez. Yussuf Poulsen is the first player that comes to mind from Leipzig.

As I noted a while back, we're at the frustrating stage now where most of the guys who'd definitively make us better would never sign with us.  Improvements are going to be hard to come by until we (ironically) create weaknesses (and spendable cash) by selling off players who need replacing.  Which won't happen this winter, obviously.

Edited by Deeg67

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Iheanacho has scored four goals for us in the premiership in over 50 appearances . Perez is a ten goal per season player at best . We do not want to see this club decline when Jamie begins to fade so it is vital we look for an eventual replacement now .

I'm not defending Iheanacho because he has been a big disappointment but how many of those 50 appearances did he play the full game and how many did he play as a No10 behind Vardy.

Bottom line is we're not going to get a striker anywhere near Vardy's ability who will come here and sit on the bench until he's ready to hand over the baton.  At best we buy a young player who exceeds expectations. 

The time to buy a quality striker will be when Vardy begins to deteriorate. Hopefully Iheanacho can deputise until that point and he may surprise a few if he ever plays as a solitary No9 as the one skill I would say he does have is he's a good finisher.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'm not defending Iheanacho because he has been a big disappointment but how many of those 50 appearances did he play the full game and how many did he play as a No10 behind Vardy.

Bottom line is we're not going to get a striker anywhere near Vardy's ability who will come here and sit on the bench until he's ready to hand over the baton.  At best we buy a young player who exceeds expectations. 

The time to buy a quality striker will be when Vardy begins to deteriorate. Hopefully Iheanacho can deputise until that point and he may surprise a few if he ever plays as a solitary No9 as the one skill I would say he does have is he's a good finisher.

This x1000

Who the hell wants to come and watch Vardy (Or Kane, or any 1st team undroppable) play week in/week out whilst you sit on the bench? (Assuming you have aspirations to be a 1st team player)

Also, regarding this bit

The time to buy a quality striker will be when Vardy begins to deteriorate.

and add, we should buy the top 1st team/1st name on the teamsheet striker if we have not been proactive and confident in our own ability to develop promising talent

Wow. Wish we had a state of the art training center ot help us with this :D

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Perez scored 12 goals last season playing for a Necastle side who created far less chances than we're doing now.

Completely agree. I can see him finishing on 15+ this season. He is a classy footballer and a good finisher who appears to be settling. I think with the chances we create going forward he will become a key player. 

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Not a chance In signing Halland he will end up at an elite club this summer.

If we finish Top 4, I think we’d have a very good shout at getting him. Especially if he’s got his head screwed on and wants to progress at a club with a reputation for improving young players, and plays attacking football. It’d be almost perfect for him. 

On 02/11/2019 at 12:53, st albans fox said:

We need to find a vardy replacement ..... a superb finisher with bags of pace who will run and compete for 90 mins .......... Shouldn’t be too tricky ......

…. and constantly seeks to improve himself as player!

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Only 2 teams in the league are managing to pull off having 2 top quality strikers and that is Arsenal and Man City

Arsenal manage it by playing one out of position and Man City because of the amount of games they have and with Aguero regularly getting injuries

We are in the same position as Spurs, talisman striker, cover is either a flop (Iheanacho for us, Llorente, Jansen etc. for Spurs) or someone being played out of position (Gray on occasion for us, Moura for Spurs)

We are going to struggle to find another quality striker until Vardy retires or until his legs start going and he becomes the bench player

totally agree. Musa for example got a bit of a slating on here but to be fair when did he ever really get a decent run in the side to create any understanding and make his mark?  He had a decent world cup, left us and starting scoring for fun. There was an article around the time that I read that said his only real problem at LCFC was the fact that his name was not Vardy. True then and still is now. Even Shinji had to adapt his game from being an out and out striker to a deeper role. Ulloa was happy as a back up in the knowledge that he had a specific role coming on late in games, and was getting plenty of game time, (until Slimani arrived and we all know that turned out).  We have changed our style now, but still play with a lone striker.  Any decent striker that we went in for is going to look at us and the way we play and wonder where his next game is going to come from.  We are never going to attract that level of player until JV announces his pending retirement. Can you really see someone in the 40M+ bracket coming here as a bench warmer?  The Manchester clubs may be happy paying £200k+ per week for second stringers but that is not sustainable for us. If I was going get splinters in my ar*e week after week, I would rather do it for double the money.

20 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's going to be a very quiet January for us as I can't see us buying anyone for the immediate first team.

We do need an extra CB as cover though, especially if Benkovic goes out on loan.

Over the last few years we've made a few mistakes but crucially, we've learned from them too.

People say we need a new striker as cover/competition for Vardy.

We won't be signing one. 

We don't need one.

We spent £29m on Slimani and £25m on Iheanacho, both to replace Okazaki, within the space of a year.

The best replacement for Okazaki turned out to be Okazaki.

Slimani will soon be gone to Monaco permanently, while Iheanacho is getting a goal a game in early cup matches.

We won't be making another costly mistake for something we don't need.

I don't think we'll be buying a top level winger either.

Our first XI is pretty settled at the minute - almost as predictable as Ranieri's 2016 side.

After 11 games, Perez has 3 goals and 1 assist while Barnes has 1 goal and 4 assists. 

Gray has created 5 goals in the last fortnight.

Buying a winger in January could risk upsetting the harmony of the squad, who have so far won 10 out of 14 games this season in all competitions.

In short, there's nothing broken currently that needs fixing. 

Or at least be extremely cautious, as we always are, in the January window.

Totally agree, Its easy to look at other players and drool over them but I'm not sure any are better than what we have. If we bring someone in, someone gets pushed out, Hamza didnt make the squad last week, Praet can't get a starting place, Gray looks a different player now and is creating goals. The amount of centre backs we had kept us from seeing Soyuncu and stopped his development. I'd sooner see Barnes getting game time.

• Like 1

Would like to think we have learned our lesson from

- Musa (Could have and should have been better as he seemed to have all the Vardy style attributes)

- Slimani (This is another weird one - he seemed to have none of the attributes, so why did we buy him?)

- Nacho - Oh Kelechi - Seems a bit crap, but still feel that is unfair, yet also feel it isn't - real quandry with Kelechi

So in terms of transitioning (Lets not say replace, that ain't gonna happen) from Vardy we could 

- Wait until he quits and buy someone for much cash

- Start in the next couple of windows and get a project underway

- Trust in youth and cross our fingers

11 minutes ago, urban fox said:

totally agree. Musa for example got a bit of a slating on here but to be fair when did he ever really get a decent run in the side to create any understanding and make his mark?  He had a decent world cup, left us and starting scoring for fun. There was an article around the time that I read that said his only real problem at LCFC was the fact that his name was not Vardy. True then and still is now. Even Shinji had to adapt his game from being an out and out striker to a deeper role. Ulloa was happy as a back up in the knowledge that he had a specific role coming on late in games, and was getting plenty of game time, (until Slimani arrived and we all know that turned out).  We have changed our style now, but still play with a lone striker.  Any decent striker that we went in for is going to look at us and the way we play and wonder where his next game is going to come from.  We are never going to attract that level of player until JV announces his pending retirement. Can you really see someone in the 40M+ bracket coming here as a bench warmer?  The Manchester clubs may be happy paying £200k+ per week for second stringers but that is not sustainable for us. If I was going get splinters in my ar*e week after week, I would rather do it for double the money.

Same with Kramaric, hardly ever got a proper run, gone off to Hoffenheim and is now one of the top strikers in Germany, 76 goal contributions in 115 games is unreal

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Not a chance In signing Halland he will end up at an elite club this summer.

Like Tielemans did?

Theres always a chance.

Why do you think these young lads come to leicester ?

Because they thrive and it does wonders for there careers.

If let's say Bmuncich/Barcelona/real Madrid/Man city etc what do you think they couldnt offer him what Leicester could?

Wages no problem

Game time no problem

Lure of premier league no problem

Possible Europe next season.

Fantastic state of the art training facility

To play in a young team full of potential.

I think there is more chance of buying these young wonderkids etc now than ever before.

Even if you dont want to admit it for some strange reason, Leicester is a huge opportunity for players to come to and also a very attractive career choice 

9 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Apparently he's not up to full fitness after his long term injury. Obviously I don't have any inside information but it's quite telling that he hasn't even been given a chance in the cup games yet so Brendan doesn't think he's ready There was an article a while ago suggesting he'd go out on loan in January to try to regain his fitness which is probably best for all parties at the moment. 

It could work out okay in the end though imo because if we sign a CB in January and send Benkovic out on loan for 6 months then when Morgan leaves at the end of the season (which I assume will happen) then Benkovic will come back from loan and replace him. 

Was hoping one of our U21's would have been closer to the squad by now as back up, We bought Sam Hughes from Chester as a promising CB and we also have Josh Knight and Darnell Johnson, I think they are all 21 or 22 now. We still have Daniel Amarty as cover.