Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

14 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

@MattP, just entered the current FT poll figures into your website, and it gives us hungiest of hung parliaments.

Tories 279

Labour 271

LD 47

SNP 33

Green 1

Plaid 1

NI Seats 18

Shocking performance by the Welsh Nationalists, but good to see @Finnegan MP hold his seat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I am not that fussed about sport tbh, I am much more alarmed that some think that not allowing biological men who identify as women into changing rooms with women and girls is somehow discrimination against trans people, rather than the more obvious massively unfair on women and girls.  Really alarming and potentially damaging nonsense.

Complex issue though.... 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50151426

There are plenty of arguments that can be made against Labour's Free Broadband proposal, but I think I've read the most ridiculous. A former Government employee claiming that it 'makes a mockery of life-dependent human rights, like freedom of religion'.

This coming from a party who's notable supporters once took a claim to the European Courts about the Hunting Act 2004 being an infringement on their Freedom of Assembly and their basic human rights. 

Just now, leicsmac said:

I'm sorry Jon, but this idea is entirely both fallacious and prejudiced as well as discriminatory - seeing as there have been almost (and I think exactly) zero incidents of what the "bathroom guardians" fear might happen, and far far more of blokes identifying as blokes doing the same thing instead.

The whole argument is a strawman based on the mythical and archaic idea that many or even most trans folks are in fact secret perverts who are just doing it for the rush, and it's ridiculous.

You seem to be trying to say that no women have been made to feel uncomfortable and potentially unsafe in their changing rooms becuase of trans women also using them.  Really?  None?  You believe that?

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

You seem to be trying to say that no women have been made to feel uncomfortable and potentially unsafe in their changing rooms becuase of trans women also using them.  Really?  None?  You believe that?

Nah...at this point I'm wondering how these women would be sure the woman that made them "uncomfortable" was a trans woman anyway.

Or are we switching to the stereotype of trans women being 6'2" broad-shouldered ex-centrehalves with permastubble and a growly voice that of course they use whenever they're in public bathrooms now?

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 06:17, HappyHamza said:

Tens of millions of job losses lol

I can't work out whether you're lying to us or to yourself. 

On 2008 - labour was running a smallish deficit to pay for capital expenditure but less than the growth rate. It was entirely sustainable in the short/medium term. A GLOBAL crisis caused by bankers like Sajid Javid (at Deutchbank) selling collateralised debt obligations led to tax revenues - particularly from financial services which is a huge proportion of the UK economy thanks to Thatcher destroying everything else - dropping like a stone. We were so exposed because of the size of our finance hub, not because of the small starting deficit. By trying to claim that a global crisis was Labour's fault you just look ridiculous. 

On 4 day weeks - https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/microsoft-4-day-work-week-boosts-productivity-2019-11

Do you really believe that tripe. Utter nonsense but you ain't changing your mind. So never mind.

Next thing you will tell me seizing BT is a good idea for the 100s of thousands employed in comms and competitors, not to mention the dangerous precedent of randomly seizing companies.

Good lord.

I ain't much gor the Tories or Boris but this lot are archaic dinosaurs and absolutely insane.

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TK95 said:

The broadband plan is a load of BS. Where are they gonna get the funding from?!

From my link on the previous page

“Labour would add an extra £15bn to the government's existing £5bn broadband strategy, with the money to come from the party's proposed Green Transformation Fund.”

BT’s chief executive has said Labour have under estimated and it would cost closer to £40bn than £20bn to implement 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, I appreciate that it's not crucial to every Leave supporter. But my impression was that it was a major issue for most - and THE issue for some.

It'll be ending, anyway, won't it - assuming we leave the EU and Single Market?

Was definitely the main issue for me. I think it’s a nuts idea. 

Really surprised at the stats you posted above. 

Odd. 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Do you really believe that tripe. Utter nonsense but you ain't changing your mind. So never mind.

Next thing you will tell me seizing BT is a good idea for the 100s of thousands employed in comms and competitors, not to mention the dangerous precedent of randomly seizing companies.

Good lord.

I ain't much gor the Tories or Boris but this lot are archaic dinosaurs and absolutely insane.

They not are talking about "seizing BT" just OpenReach that own the local loop.  The bit between the local exchange and your house.  It is already a separate organisation notionally independent of BT although wholly owned by them and is one the the biggest blockers to broadband roll out and infrastructure investment in Britain.

Edited by pleatout
spelling
  • Like 2

Wild boar discover and snort £17,000 of cocaine in Tuscan forest
http://news.sky.com/story/wild-boar-discover-and-snort-16317000-of-cocaine-in-tuscan-forest-11861940

Stoned pork 

Edit - oops ! 

Should’ve been in the news thread although I wouldn’t be too surprised if the greased piglet had done a bit of charlie 

Edited by Mike Oxlong
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pleatout said:

They are not talking about "seizing BT" just OpenReach that own the local loop.  The bit between the local exchange and your house.  It is already a separate organisation notionally independent of BT although wholly owned by them and is one the the biggest blockers to broadband roll out and infrastructure investment in Britain.

Just to add

BT own Openreach that provide the "last mile" to your house unless you have cable.

BT own Plusnet

BT own TalkTalk

BT own EE

BT own BT Broadband

The competition isnt really competitive.  BT have most of it

Edited by pleatout
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, pleatout said:

They not are talking about "seizing BT" just OpenReach that own the local loop.  The bit between the local exchange and your house.  It is already a separate organisation notionally independent of BT although wholly owned by them and is one the the biggest blockers to broadband roll out and infrastructure investment in Britain.

This sounds very much like what’s happened here in Australia. Telstra owned the local loop and effectively sold it to the National Broadband Network (NBN). The original Labor plan was to provide fibre to the home, but a subsequent Conservative government diluted it to try to economise on the cost with various implementations such as Fibre to the Node, Hybrid Fibre cable, etc.  Probably a false economy, and there has been a lot of controversy. Personally I’d have preferred that they went for the fibre to the home option as I’m sure that’s what will be needed eventually and compromising in this way will work out more expensive in the long run.

Nevertheless my own NBN experience has been quite reasonable. The fact is that very often the subjective experience on the web is more to do with the server the user is accessing than the speed to the local exchange or wherever. The 50mbs I’m getting now compares with 8mbs previously. Not fantasy but a big improvement.

Edited by WigstonWanderer