Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Kristoffer Ajer

27 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I think your comment the other day about Armstrong and Boyata was right on the money.

I actually see Ajer coming to us with a Benkovic half season loan and cash going to Celtic. Benkovic will be going for fitness.

He won't be going anywhere if he's still injured. The Winter window is a pain in the ass and Ajer won't be going anywhere without a ready replacement.

I'd be surprised if we let him go in January in all honesty.  As much as I'd love him back at some point, letting Ajer go and replacing him with Benkovic on loan in January, someone who has been injured pretty much all season and will require months just to get up to speed would be far too big a risk.  I could be wrong but I see more chance of this one happening in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, SO1 said:

There's no way to figure out the situation with his health. Benkovic should be playing everything if he's ready to go on loan.

Would seem a big mistake to send someone out who wasn't fit. Don't think we'd be wrapping him in cotton in prep for sending to Celtic.

Unless we're selling? Something doesn't smell right............. Come on reporters ask the right questions!

I know -- Mendy and Armarty aren't making u23 appearances--but Benko was with the squad in Copenhagen (no idea about the other fringe players, although our u23 GK was there, but that makes sense). Very weird.

Benko was at a signing at the Fanstore a couple of weeks ago, which you wouldn't expect if there was a real problem.

40 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

But seriously, why would we send out a guy on loan who starred in the Scottish league, but had injury issues, so we can sign a guy who starred in the Scottish league, but has injury issues?

I'm totally puzzled how someone can be talked of as the next Van Dijk, with people sure he would make it in the premier league, go to not being involved in any match day squad, even the  efl cups? He was fit for some as he played in the u21's. The trajectory of Soyuncu and Benkovic has been a major turn around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

In what way would you be amazed? He can't even make your match day squad at present, signing Ajer would make that even more difficult for him, he seems to pick up injuries a lot and furthermore he cost you guys peanuts in relative EPL terms (£13m?) so it's not like you have a lot of cash to recoup on him.  Whether he goes to Celtic or not it feels to me like Benkovic is someone they may look to cut their losses on if there was a decent bid.

13m might be peanuts but we obviously see a lot in him and Rodgers clearly did (hence taking him to Celtic and playing him a fair bit).

Not many players get bought from the Croatian league for that sort of money. Only Pjaca (Juve) and Modric (Spurs) were bought for more than Benkovic.

I don't see you offering an amount that we couldn't refuse.

Obviously this is all completely independent from what our medical team might think of him. It might be a case that we've signed the lad and he won't ever be fit for 10 games on the spin.

All in all the lad clearly has talent and we've shown with Soyuncu that there are benefits to be had for letting young footballers settle in the country/team before giving them their big chance.

16 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

But seriously, why would we send out a guy on loan who starred in the Scottish league, but had injury issues, so we can sign a guy who starred in the Scottish league, but has injury issues?

Sounds like something straight out of the Tory manifesto. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

The whole Benkovic situation is just upsetting tbh. It's so puzzling, I can't understand it. Would be nice if we had some information

It's not thaaaaat puzzling. 

Club signs a young footballer hoping he'll adjust and develop, new manager isn't at all impressed with him. 

Obviously if he was a winger or forward you might see him get a couple of run outs to see but you can't take as many risks at CB and if Rodgers thinks he's either miles off ready or miles off fit then you won't see. 

50 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Club signs a young footballer hoping he'll adjust and develop, new manager isn't at all impressed with him. 

Obviously if he was a winger or forward you might see him get a couple of run outs to see but you can't take as many risks at CB and if Rodgers thinks he's either miles off ready or miles off fit then you won't see. 

Rodgers loved him at Celtic and hasn't even spoken about him at Leicester. More than a bit weird imo. Also the fact that there's basically no information from anything approaching a reliable source about his situation.

42 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think because Rodgers signed him and raved about him at Celtic that there'd be a bit more involvement for him. It's just not happening but then again where does he fit in right now?

15 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Who do you think it currently better and got more potential? 

Hmm it's a tough one, I've hummed and hawed quite a bit on this.  If you take the injuries away I'd say Benkovic, when fit he really was a rolls royce, strolled through games and looked a real cut above anything we had at the back at the time.  Ajer can still be quite naive with basic defending at times, getting caught on the wrong side and diving in a bit.  That said he's only been playing the position a few years so he has time to iron that out.

If Benkovic can get over his injuries and get playing I'd say he's the more polished player and more likely to have a better career.  However, if things stay as they are I could see Ajer overtaking him as he's playing a lot of games and being given the chance to develop.

The big reason Rodgers will want Ajer is his ability to carry the ball into midfield and put teams on the back foot, very similar to what Maguire used to do for you guys.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I'd imagine there is a lot more to it than simply that, I'd trust Rodgers on this one if the interest is indeed true, he's worked with the player for a fair bit of time, developed him and will know exactly how he could improve Leicester and develop further.  Furthermore, I really don't know where you are getting the injury issues thing with Ajer from at all, he made 50 appearances for us last season and is on close to 30 already this year.

17 hours ago, notnow john said:

Benkovic would be mad to risk exacerbating his suspect joints on 

SPL plastic pitches.

He never played on plastic pitches in Scotland last time after his first injury, he was always left out, I'd imagine that would be the case even more so if he were to come back on a loan capacity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, notnow john said:

Benkovic would be mad to risk exacerbating his suspect joints on 

SPL plastic pitches.

If Benkovic is that brittle then surely playing centre back in a fast and physical premier is a no go... Every challenge could be a risk.

Edited by les-tah

4 hours ago, moore_94 said:

At least we know Benkovic is training, would assume that means not out through injury

Maybe it’s not down to ability. If he’s not going to start Brendon might just prefer having the experience of Wes on the bench. Was Cags getting on the bench last season over wes? I think he’ll come good.

Edited by Meat and 2 veg

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

Soyuncu didn't get a look in last season and now he is playing first team football regularly, the same could happen to Benko next season

That’s what I’m hoping. Soyuncu is a year older and had been playing bundelsiga football beforehand (much more experienced than Benkovic). I just hope he’s not injury prone..