Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Wigan - Kop end Singing Section

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Can't understand why I was inconvenienced being moved to just under the drum. Not only couldn't hear myself think but couldn't hold a conversation with those next to me. Very poor of the Club. If you attempt to purchase a ticket with a limited view that is highlighted but not if you're going to have your ear drums blasted!!

Did you not get to choose your seat? And do you really go to the football for the quiet and to have a chat? 

Edited by FoxesDeb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

The only shame was it felt like there was a lack of the rest of the Kop joining in, but perhaps in a bigger, more tense game, it could really be something great. 

I'm SK2 behind goal half way up, the regulars with us which were few and far between all said it was much better having them closer, but the majority of our block was like a crèche, it felt more like a pre season than a cup game.

The few of us joined in with the songs but 95% of the block just used the clappers as they didn't know any words, they weren't even joining in with the tradional goal kick woah.... Didn't clap subs etc, certainly weren't regulars, I have no problem with that at all (all got to start somewhere)  but that's got to be why the singing  didn't continue along the kop.

If it was a league game I've no doubt it would've spread far better as there's far more singing than we had yesterday. Shame really as I can't see them getting a chance to do it in a league game.

Hats off to them though for putting the effort in and doing something about it.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I’ve said it before but any ground extension would be the perfect time to get something sorted.

If you’re building a shiny new East Stand with corporate hospitality in then that’s the end of L1 but you’ll still have that very loyal group of fans who have been there for 20 years and want to be a) able to stand and b) next to the away fans.

I’m assuming part of a big new stand could be a new club shop (which they’ve wanted to keep near the Family Stand traditionally) so turn the South East corner where Union FS are currently into the family section, make the current Family Stand/North Stand a safe-standing/singing section and let ‘the Kop’ stay full of the sitters and moaners who are currently there.

Everyone wins: you don’t upset those who have been in the South Stand for years, you move the Family Stand away from the away fans and L1, Union FS and anyone else who wants to stand can do so in one stand behind that goal.

I live in hope but not expectation.

Exactly this 👏🏻

4 hours ago, K1FOX said:

Would it really be that much of an issue if the club said ‘from 20/21 so and so block will be a designated singing section. This is being done to further enhance the atmosphere at the KP in a big European season - anyone who currently has a season ticket in this block will be sent a letter giving them options on where they can relocate to’. 

Granted it may upset a handful of people but they’re not being turfed out the ground they’re being asked to relocate by the club for the greater good to improve the atmosphere. L1 get booted out for many cup games a season 

This is just a case of a very vocal minority trying to force their will on a silent majority. I really can't understand why people think they are more deserving of things just because they like to stand and sing.  

Edited by peach0000

9 minutes ago, K1FOX said:

It’s not a personal thing. People want the atmosphere to be better for the benefit of the team. What is anybody gaining by the ground being silent? Just cannot understand why people are so against any sort of activity - surely the club comes first and the club will benefit from a consistently better atmosphere 

Kicking people out of their seats isn't a way of doing that though. All it will achieve is to just alienate a section of fans. There's already a section in the ground for this kind of stuff and I would suggest the way to go is to grow outwards organically from that section rather than trying to artificially grab better seats from people who have in all probability sat there since the ground was opened. 

Also I will add, as mentioned before, it's probably something that could be looked at being accommodated with any expansion to the stadium without moving people.

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 1

That’s the thing there’s no such thing as ‘their’ seat. If it’s done with notice, the club reserve the right to do anything they wish. That can equally go the other way too (eg moving UFS out of their corner). 

The demand is so high for tickets if the club chose to relocate persons then it would be take the alternative or lose your ticket. There’s no much alienation to be done when the demand is there to have that ticket bought up. Likewise that could easy go the way moving L1 on, or if the family stand or away ends moved 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

This is just a case of a very vocal minority trying to force their will on a silent majority. I really can't understand why people think they are more deserving of things just because they like to stand and sing.  

Aren't people getting ahead of themselves here by moaning about having to move when no one has asked them to?

I can't see the club doing anything until the stadium is expanded, for this very reason.

A singing section doesn't need to be in the Kop anyway (the atmosphere in there died with Filbert St), stick it in a new place where it won't bother anyone, let the kids have their fun.

Union FS will face the exact same mindset that’s lead to a big Tory majority in this country...

Is the atmosphere being better good for the majority? Yes.

Do I myself want to sacrifice a little or have a little inconvenience of having to move seats in order to achieve that better situation for the overall majority? No way.

Shall I therefore oppose it to protect what’s easiest or best for me first and foremost? Yes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That’s the thing there’s no such thing as ‘their’ seat. If it’s done with notice, the club reserve the right to do anything they wish. That can equally go the other way too (eg moving UFS out of their corner). 

The demand is so high for tickets if the club chose to relocate persons then it would be take the alternative or lose your ticket. There’s no much alienation to be done when the demand is there to have that ticket bought up. Likewise that could easy go the way moving L1 on, or if the family stand or away ends moved 

People just seem to expect union fs to be given free rein to move to wherever they want to without considering other people. You're right that no one has the right to any individual seat but there has to be a process for deciding who gets to sit where and it's a lot fairer to let people who have sat in the same place for nearly 20 years to have first pick on tickets in those seats than to give priority to another group just because they fancy moving. 

Edited by peach0000

1 minute ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Union FS will face the exact same mindset that’s lead to a big Tory majority in this country...

Is the atmosphere being better good for the majority? Yes.

Do I myself want to sacrifice a little or have a little inconvenience of having to move seats in order to achieve that better situation for the overall majority? No way.

Shall I therefore oppose it to protect what’s easiest or best for me first and foremost? Yes.

Let's bring politics into a thread about the ground's atmosphere.   It's so relevant.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Vestan Pance said:

Aren't people getting ahead of themselves here by moaning about having to move when no one has asked them to?

I can't see the club doing anything until the stadium is expanded, for this very reason.

A singing section doesn't need to be in the Kop anyway (the atmosphere in there died with Filbert St), stick it in a new place where it won't bother anyone, let the kids have their fun.

It's not just 'kids' though mate. Those that know me know I'm no kid, but I was on the front row of the section, 3 'seats' from the drum, and I loved it. It's all about like-minded people wanting to do more than just sit like they're at at a theatre watching a Shakespeare play. And I wasn't the only oldie in there btw, please don't think UFS are all school kids.

• Like 4

agree that you can’t just move what, a thousand people (?) out of what has been their seat for 15 years because you want it. 

it would definitely help the atmosphere and i’d either give up my seat or join in, if it was me, but if people don’t want to move then there’s no reason they should tbh. 

Be all and end all is that if the club are serious about atmosphere and not just gimmicks like clappers and acting like people clapping is a ‘good atmosphere’ then they will make this positive change and create a section and they will then deal with any backlash from the people who are already gearing up to give it. As someone else mentioned if anyone was to have an issue relocating I’m sure their season ticket would be grabbed up without a second thought. And this is a personal opinion but the kind of people that would be against it - at least 90% - of them are the kind of people who are holding us back as a fan base so wouldn’t be missed by anybody 

Edited by K1FOX

37 minutes ago, K1FOX said:

Be all and end all is that if the club are serious about atmosphere and not just gimmicks like clappers and acting like people clapping is a ‘good atmosphere’ then they will make this positive change and create a section and they will then deal with any backlash from the people who are already gearing up to give it. As someone else mentioned if anyone was to have an issue relocating I’m sure their season ticket would be grabbed up without a second thought. And this is a personal opinion but the kind of people that would be against it - at least 90% - of them are the kind of people who are holding us back as a fan base so wouldn’t be missed by anybody 

Not sure about that. The people.you want to turf out are probably the ones who had a season ticket when we got about 20k at home. 

The club will never force anyone from sk2 to move. Its never gonna happen.

50 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

People just seem to expect union fs to be given free rein to move to wherever they want to without considering other people. You're right that no one has the right to any individual seat but there has to be a process for deciding who gets to sit where and it's a lot fairer to let people who have sat in the same place for nearly 20 years to have first pick on tickets in those seats than to give priority to another group just because they fancy moving. 

Such a shame this type of mentality is so prevalent with  football fans these days. It's blatantly obvious potentially moving UFS (or any group of fans wanting to make a noise for that matter) more central in the 'Kop' would help the atmosphere spread around the ground and ultimately help the team, but because it might inconvenience a few people it is immediately shot down. 

I'm not having a go at you by the way, you may not even sit in the Kop or go to a game for all I know, but the passive attitude of most of this fan base is really disheartening. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, adam said:

Not sure about that. The people.you want to turf out are probably the ones who had a season ticket when we got about 20k at home. 

The club will never force anyone from sk2 to move. Its never gonna happen.

No one wants to turf anyone out. People have to relocate for various reasons. Shit happens. If they were unhappy with it they would be turfing themselves out. 

This rubbish about ‘they were the ones when no one else was here’ is tedious. They weren’t the only ones who were there. Again as mentioned before it’s not a personal thing but for various reasons people have to be relocated for example after we won the league people at the top of J3 and elsewhere were made to relocate their season tickets due to champions league requirements. Other teams have had to do similar things and even old Trafford with their 75,000 fans has found a way so don’t tell me it can’t be done it’s just about do we have enough like minded fans who want to improve things and whether or not the club have it in them to move away from this ‘family friendly’ banner that they’re hiding behind 

1 hour ago, K1FOX said:

What a steaming pile of petulant self-entitled bs. 

1 hour ago, mad biker said:

Surely converting L1 to a safe standing area is the way to go  ? get our most vociferous fans right next to the away fans  !

L1 is already standing, what difference would putting safe standing barriers in that block make. The point is that first and foremost the club don’t want trouble or the risk of trouble, that’s one of the reasons that the family stand is next to the away fans, you don’t expect any trouble where families are located so consequently one side of the away allocation is contained, it’s the same at places like Everton. A good Atmosphere is not about how much you can wind the away fans up, that’s a bad atmosphere, it’s about how much the fans can support the team. The north stand is also where the cells are and is next to the road so the logistics of getting the away fans from the ground is as efficient as it can be.

If we extend the east stand, you can bet there will be corporate boxes integrated into it, which is effectively the end of any standing in the east stand, no way are you going to sell corporate facilities with a bunch of yobs effin and blinding at the away fans. 
 The kop is the only place where safe standing can happen and I think that if the club decide to install rail seating, they will give fans the opportunity to relocate away from the kop simply because they wouldn’t want to stand. When the ground expansion happens, all will become clear.

Edited by yorkie1999

12 minutes ago, Daggers said:

What a steaming pile of petulant self-entitled bs. 

Behave. The ‘Kop’ everywhere around the country is where the vociferous fans gather. Where home teams look to attack second half so their supporters can suck the ball into the net. If the people currently occupying the main chunk of this ‘kop’ have no interest in doing this then make way for people that do. All it requires is a relocation to a different seat in the same stadium. And this is only for the people from that area who actively are saying we don’t want to be a part of a singing section which defeats the objective of them being there anyway. If they don’t mind then they could stay in their seat anyway.

Don’t get so easily offended mate.

8 hours ago, peach0000 said:

My point could equally apply to Union FS being turned out to an area they don’t want. 

Just stating the cold fact of it. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

13 minutes ago, foxgas said:

If the experimental singing section became a standing section, against ground rules, I would not be expecting any more co-operation from the club on health and safety grounds. 

The group made it clear to the club that there would be standing and asked to make sure that message went to the stewards.

Whether they were ‘ok’ with this or just perhaps thought like ‘yeah right lads like all off you lot will stand’ who knows but no issues with it from them on the day.