Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Wigan - Kop end Singing Section

46 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Completely agree with this. 

But it would be nice if the club maybe, actively spoke to ticket holders. Maybe in the block ufs had yesterday and explained they were exploring the idea of a singing section, they tried before in M block when crowds were low. Granted it never took off at that time.

But theres now a section of the ground that wants to grow and cant. If they had the option of the 1st full block of sk1. Theres already the back 3 or 4 rows standing week in week out. If ufs came infront of that numbers would automatically swell.

There must be a option to find those season ticket holders that would be happy to move, a near identical view in sk4. With a small amount of reshuffling. 

I certainly understand that there will be people against it and who take the stance that why should they move. But maybe the club could take the lead such as Derby and Boro did and even to an extent palace. Although that did play out badly initially.

Can you just go away with your sensible suggestions please? All I want to see here are mindless rants and insults, it's what FT is for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Moved over from L1 yesterday and thought it was great. Never went quiet for one moment. 

The only shame was it felt like there was a lack of the rest of the Kop joining in, but perhaps in a bigger, more tense game, it could really be something great. 

It would work so much better with a designated section closer to the pitch, but there has to be a compromise somewhere. Knowing the club, I’d be amazed if it happened before the stadium is expanded though.

It was a difficult one to gauge yesterday. Looked good from where I am in C2 to the left of the Kop. It didn’t carry far at times, other times it carried and held well. Had someone behind us who was sarcastically quipping about the complex lyrics to the songs, and moaning they were bored - unfortunately buying a ticket doesn’t guarantee sexy football every week, and most of us knew what sort of performance was likely. The players weren’t even fussed about celebrating yesterday (a shame), but I’d love to see a similar singing section in a higher stakes game in the future. Well done to all involved 

Some sensible comments on here, some bizarre and some about Maguire?

The stadium, as others is all seater for reasons of health and safety following several disasters and many deaths.

The club cannot be seen to be legitimising standing as any incident and they’d be liable + also are breaking the law.

Singing and holding up flags at a football match is not a new phenomenon created by our new fans, its actually happened when we weren’t so great and gates of 7K.

Until something changes its not unreasonable when paying for a seat that by law has to be used to expect to sit in it unobstructed.

I, and I’m sure most of the other miserable B’s, pensioners and other derogatory terms being applied to the over 16 year olds feel sorry for the younger fans for never experiencing games in way of atmosphere due to controls, but that’s the way it is.

Congratulation on the effort it was noticed, but you cant expect season ticket holders to move or have fans looking at your ass for 90 mins rather than the game.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

The stadium, as others is all seater for reasons of health and safety following several disasters and many deaths.

The club cannot be seen to be legitimising standing as any incident and they’d be liable + also are breaking the law.

Singing and holding up flags at a football match is not a new phenomenon created by our new fans, its actually happened when we weren’t so great and gates of 7K.

Until something changes its not unreasonable when paying for a seat that by law has to be used to expect to sit in it unobstructed.

I, and I’m sure most of the other miserable B’s, pensioners and other derogatory terms being applied to the over 16 year olds feel sorry for the younger fans for never experiencing games in way of atmosphere due to controls, but that’s the way it is.

Congratulation on the effort it was noticed, but you cant expect season ticket holders to move or have fans looking at your ass for 90 mins rather than the game.

Bet you’re the life and soul of parties

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

It is not against the law to stand in seated areas.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It is not against the law to stand in seated areas.

However:

Standing in seated areas, is, however, contrary to ground regulations. For example, the Football League’s model set of ground regulations states: ‘Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground’.

20 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

However:

Standing in seated areas, is, however, contrary to ground regulations. For example, the Football League’s model set of ground regulations states: ‘Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the ground’.

Hope they’re not watching the Liverpool Everton game then because both ends behind the goals are all standing

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

However:

I know,like I said it's not against the law to stand in seated areas.

Can't understand why I was inconvenienced being moved to just under the drum. Not only couldn't hear myself think but couldn't hold a conversation with those next to me. Very poor of the Club. If you attempt to purchase a ticket with a limited view that is highlighted but not if you're going to have your ear drums blasted!!

Got my seats in this section, row FF, and I have to say it was like pulling teeth at times with the people around me. Stoney silence. Don't know if this was a surprise to them or they'd bought tickets to taste the atmosphere (hopefully the former).

What took place a few rows below was fantastic, of course, and I wish it had spread consistently in the rows above, because I appreciate that above me were chanting, just was a bit fractured. The more it catches on, though, the better it's going to be.

Agree though about lobbing people out of their seats. This surely has to be a long term thing or a compromise somewhere. People will have sat in that section for nigh on 18 years now, it'd be grossly unfair to move them from the section. Equally I genuinely don't know the answer to it.

I heard two annoyed people who thought the leaflet on seats about the section meant they couldn't sit in their normal spot and they were quite annoyed until I explained it didn't affect them or their area. The last thing the group need is animosity from other sections of fans. It might be unavoidable for some, but goodwill goes a long way on these things so just turfing people from seats is so the wrong way to go about it.

Would like it to happen again though, this time without the club pulling the code, but also selling it almost row by row so we get a true sense of demand and keeps everyone together nice and compact whilst it catches on.

Would it really be that much of an issue if the club said ‘from 20/21 so and so block will be a designated singing section. This is being done to further enhance the atmosphere at the KP in a big European season - anyone who currently has a season ticket in this block will be sent a letter giving them options on where they can relocate to’. 

Granted it may upset a handful of people but they’re not being turfed out the ground they’re being asked to relocate by the club for the greater good to improve the atmosphere. L1 get booted out for many cup games a season 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Can't understand why I was inconvenienced being moved to just under the drum. Not only couldn't hear myself think but couldn't hold a conversation with those next to me. Very poor of the Club. If you attempt to purchase a ticket with a limited view that is highlighted but not if you're going to have your ear drums blasted!!

It will take time for the club and UFS to get it right. If we show patience I'm sure it will work for everyone eventually. 

I’ve said it before but any ground extension would be the perfect time to get something sorted.

If you’re building a shiny new East Stand with corporate hospitality in then that’s the end of L1 but you’ll still have that very loyal group of fans who have been there for 20 years and want to be a) able to stand and b) next to the away fans.

I’m assuming part of a big new stand could be a new club shop (which they’ve wanted to keep near the Family Stand traditionally) so turn the South East corner where Union FS are currently into the family section, make the current Family Stand/North Stand a safe-standing/singing section and let ‘the Kop’ stay full of the sitters and moaners who are currently there.

Everyone wins: you don’t upset those who have been in the South Stand for years, you move the Family Stand away from the away fans and L1, Union FS and anyone else who wants to stand can do so in one stand behind that goal.

I live in hope but not expectation.