Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Wigan - Kop end Singing Section

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

The singing section is an absolute must. Well done ufs for the efforts to try to set this up. Please don't make this an age thing I'm an old pen 2 kopite and still sing along. Many of them pensioners were probably kopites themselves and have earned the right to follow the club home and away.  There's room for everyone with common sense planning. 

I suspect those pensioners where more like south stand/main stand who always went away but always sat . That's why it always worked so well years ago . Singers /standers normally behind a goal and seating one side  at away games.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I love this photo!

It gives me hope there is still atmosphere to be found at football and the appetite is still there. Without sounding too soppy, it made me fall in love with the game that little bit more again. 

Great to see!

Anything that punctures the all-pervading sterility of the usual set-up. At times it actually looked and sounded like a football crowd!

A nice contrast from the familiar greyhead whitebread blue rinse brigade...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Claridge said:

Apart from UFS, that was the worst FA cup atmosphere I have experienced in 50 years. Perhaps we are becoming the victims of our success. Everyone knew we would win

I think the answwer to that is complex. The game was dreadful. As a team we were poor. Wigan were poor, sloppuy and without any intensity whatsover

7 hours ago, squarez said:

Under the current legislation stipulating all-seater stadiums this would be illegal but at the same time there seems to be very little political will to actually enforce the law as written. Informal standing areas are popping up around the PL - most notably at the new Spurs stadium where they installed rails in their kop in front of the regular seats in preparation for any potential legislation change but it immediately turned into a de facto standing section even though strictly speaking legally it is a seated section. You can see it here from about 0:24.

As someone that was in the singing section tonight it was a lot of fun, it was like an away atmosphere at home which was great. Dunno how the sound carried but it sounded loud from in the section - we didn't hear a peep from the Wigan support apart from their goal so I dunno if they were quiet all game or it was too loud where we were. A lot of fun nonetheless and something that the club needs to embrace more of - especially if they're going ahead with stadium expansion.

It was good - to small but good. A lot of people bemoan a loack of atmosphere, but atmosphere has a direct relationship to the game and nothing kills an atmosphere like staid, uninspiring backwards a sideways passing.  Agree with other comments that having a prolonged larger trial would be excellent.

Guest Markyblue
11 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Great to see!

Anything that punctures the all-pervading sterility of the usual set-up. At times it actually looked and sounded like a football crowd!

A nice contrast from the familiar greyhead whitebread blue rinse brigade...

The days of thousands of youths singing and jumping in unison have gone forever,  the sterility is here to stay BUT that dosnt mean that a decent sized area can't be allocated to allow a much greater atmosphere and fan involved experience. Once an area is allocated people will gradually move over to it and it will grow.

Relocated to the West Stand for this, on the half way line, the singing block looked brilliant and the banner really stood out. I could hear the Wigan fans (what an aggro bunch of fecks they are by the way) more to start with but when UFS kicked in, it sounded really loud. Massive problem was, apart from the odd bit of ‘clacking’, the West Stand was silent - you could hear people breathing! (Slight exaggeration but you get what I mean). I know it’s always like that but it really hits home how shite our atmosphere is, the Family Stand did their best with the kids every now and again but it’s so disjointed in our ground.

No wonder away fans think we’re quiet, they just can’t hear us in SK1 and no other areas sing or shout for a prolonged period of time. Even though I enjoyed watching what was going on the bench every now and again and Brendan in his dress shoes, I can’t wait to get back to ‘noisy’ SK1 on Wednesday for a bit of atmosphere. Lots for the club to work on, I really hope they’ll be more accommodating to UFS now as the club really need to up their game with this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

I would urge those that either were part of the section or witnessed it do pass on the supportive message to the club.

UFS are wasted up in the current position.  The club could rejig around sections if they REALLY wanted to let atmosphere flourish. Christ if Derby and Middlesborough can then we certainly could.

This, long term it would be ideal if they was nearer to the away fans as it will create even more noise ideally in the family stand .. if the club want to move forward and create something special then atmosphere plays a key part.

Surely the kop and family stand are mirrored more or less in terms of seats/viewing at the end of the season all they have to do is give those season ticket holders the chance to swap over with a statement on trying to improve the atmosphere job done

Edited by whoareyaaa

We moved to the west stand for this game, so my daughter could see all the players easier. 

Normally we are in Sk2 roughly where the singing section was. 

It looked and sounded pretty good, so really well done to all involved, and keep up your good work👌

The West stand, although much better view and facilities, was a bit quiet. 

People around me did sing a bit but not many joined in and the noise of the clackers done my head in. 

Although people moan, you don't notice them as much in the Kop. 

Guest Markyblue

I'd much rather we got rid of the clappers and with some direct talking with the club start getting this sorted once and for all. Its needed and with goodwill on all sides it can happen. Some people would be relocated etc but surely common sense can prevail. Football without atmosphere isn't football. 

The thing is the place isn't going to be rocking all over the ground for a cup game against Wigan. It's a myth that even those clubs with famous atmospheres have all 4 stands bouncing all game. That section yesterday is as close to perfect as we will get, it just needs to grow and allow people the option to relocate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

The thing is the place isn't going to be rocking all over the ground for a cup game against Wigan. It's a myth that even those clubs with famous atmospheres have all 4 stands bouncing all game. That section yesterday is as close to perfect as we will get, it just needs to grow and allow people the option to relocate. 

Agree.  I firmly believe the majority don't want to sing most of the time now, don't know why exactly, societal changes, seating obviously.  The old Main Stand at Filbert St was often silent.  The Kop very rarely was.  It's that simple, get everyone who wants an atmosphere in the same place. Efforts like this only bring that closer. I think UFS will have a fight on getting rid of the clappers, they are shit undoubtedly, but they are part of the marketing department matchday experience gubbins.  But strangely I don't think there would be uproar if they did go, nobody was calling for them when we didn't have them.  As @Markyblue said football without atmosphere isn't football and that ain't clappers. 

I was a few blocks away and was envious of all involved. Superb effort and exactly what's needed. Im sure against better opposition the atmosphere would be even better.

It really is a shame that the club cant dedicate you a specific area week in and week out.

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

This, long term it would be ideal if they was nearer to the away fans as it will create even more noise ideally in the family stand .. if the club want to move forward and create something special then atmosphere plays a key part.

Surely the kop and family stand are mirrored more or less in terms of seats/viewing at the end of the season all they have to do is give those season ticket holders the chance to swap over with a statement on trying to improve the atmosphere job done

So what you're saying is you'd like to swap the kop with the family stand? 🤔

Why has no one mentioned it before! :ph34r:

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Don’t get your hopes up just yet lads. The club needs a lot more pressure as they are still using lame excuses. 
If this is to move forward I feel we need a big fan get together, petition or something?

FC7B75C9-8DF4-4D04-9191-BE4874D135CE.png

Just a thought but maybe the club gives a 1000 strong block in the centre of the kop as a singing section.  Yes mainly season ticket holders there but anybody who dosnt want to be part of the block gets relocated and for the first year gets a free season ticket. Maybe 150 stay and 850 want to move out and get a free season ticket. Not going to cost the club a fortune and could easily be paid for by binning the clappers.  Just an idea.

4 hours ago, Markyblue said:

The singing section is an absolute must. Well done ufs for the efforts to try to set this up. Please don't make this an age thing I'm an old pen 2 kopite and still sing along. Many of them pensioners were probably kopites themselves and have earned the right to follow the club home and away.  There's room for everyone with common sense planning. 

100% agree. The issue is with those who don’t want to but want to hinder others too by being difficult and unreasonable

55 minutes ago, richpm said:

Agree.  I firmly believe the majority don't want to sing most of the time now, don't know why exactly, societal changes, seating obviously.  The old Main Stand at Filbert St was often silent.  The Kop very rarely was.  It's that simple, get everyone who wants an atmosphere in the same place. Efforts like this only bring that closer. I think UFS will have a fight on getting rid of the clappers, they are shit undoubtedly, but they are part of the marketing department matchday experience gubbins.  But strangely I don't think there would be uproar if they did go, nobody was calling for them when we didn't have them.  As @Markyblue said football without atmosphere isn't football and that ain't clappers. 

Exactly this. The clappers have never bothered me because they give people a chance to join in who might not be vocal, whether that be the older fan, new fans who don't know the words, kids etc. My concern with them is people acting like robots and using them because they feel like they should. Not a clapper in site in that noisy block but if the west stand want to clap away I'm all for it. 

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 2

Guest Eamonn
3 hours ago, Katy said:

Relocated to the West Stand for this, on the half way line, the singing block looked brilliant and the banner really stood out. I could hear the Wigan fans (what an aggro bunch of fecks they are by the way) more to start with but when UFS kicked in, it sounded really loud. Massive problem was, apart from the odd bit of ‘clacking’, the West Stand was silent - you could hear people breathing! (Slight exaggeration but you get what I mean). I know it’s always like that but it really hits home how shite our atmosphere is, the Family Stand did their best with the kids every now and again but it’s so disjointed in our ground.

No wonder away fans think we’re quiet, they just can’t hear us in SK1 and no other areas sing or shout for a prolonged period of time. Even though I enjoyed watching what was going on the bench every now and again and Brendan in his dress shoes, I can’t wait to get back to ‘noisy’ SK1 on Wednesday for a bit of atmosphere. Lots for the club to work on, I really hope they’ll be more accommodating to UFS now as the club really need to up their game with this. 

Agree 100%.

Guest Eamonn
3 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I would urge those that either were part of the section or witnessed it do pass on the supportive message to the club.

UFS are wasted up in the current position.  The club could rejig around sections if they REALLY wanted to let atmosphere flourish. Christ if Derby and Middlesborough can then we certainly could.

Done.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Not really a lame excuse though is it? That's someone's season ticket. Why the **** do you have more right to their seat just because you want to sing? 

I applaud the efforts of UFS, sure, but that doesn't give them a divine right to sit wherever they want in the ground. 

Completely agree with this. 

But it would be nice if the club maybe, actively spoke to ticket holders. Maybe in the block ufs had yesterday and explained they were exploring the idea of a singing section, they tried before in M block when crowds were low. Granted it never took off at that time.

But theres now a section of the ground that wants to grow and cant. If they had the option of the 1st full block of sk1. Theres already the back 3 or 4 rows standing week in week out. If ufs came infront of that numbers would automatically swell.

There must be a option to find those season ticket holders that would be happy to move, a near identical view in sk4. With a small amount of reshuffling. 

I certainly understand that there will be people against it and who take the stance that why should they move. But maybe the club could take the lead such as Derby and Boro did and even to an extent palace. Although that did play out badly initially.

• Like 1