Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Wigan - Kop end Singing Section

7 hours ago, K1FOX said:

Behave. The ‘Kop’ everywhere around the country is where the vociferous fans gather. Where home teams look to attack second half so their supporters can suck the ball into the net. If the people currently occupying the main chunk of this ‘kop’ have no interest in doing this then make way for people that do. All it requires is a relocation to a different seat in the same stadium. And this is only for the people from that area who actively are saying we don’t want to be a part of a singing section which defeats the objective of them being there anyway. If they don’t mind then they could stay in their seat anyway.

Don’t get so easily offended mate.

It's a real shame you lads weren't so motivated ten years ago!

Just now, Tiny earl said:

It's a real shame you lads weren't so motivated ten years ago!

Not sure about K1 Fox if he/she was part of them. However ten years you had two motivated fan atmosphere movements; Fosse Boys and the N block singing section which the club both went very hard on shutting down.

• Like 3

Loved every minute of it on Saturday. Thought the noise was pretty good for what was pretty much a dead game after we scored the second, it's a shame we didn't really make many chances at the Kop end to help boost it a bit in the second half. 

I did notice the pocket of sitters about two thirds of the way back. This was due to the club taking the area off reserved sale and putting them on general without making people aware of what was going on in that area, even though we asked a couple of times for them to do so. Luckily I don't think there were any major issues. 

It really was a bit of a glimpse into what we could have with some pragmatic conversations around the time of the stadium redevelopment. Fair play to the club as well for allowing this to happen even if it is a one off for the time being, and giving the group pretty much free reign to run that little area as they wanted. 

• Like 2

This is a problem for the club to deal with the most obvious work around is to move the kop and family stand that way any ticket holders can't moan about there seat and union fs can organise a signing section closer to the away fans in the kop...

It's to simple though!! the club need to pull there finger out

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My point could equally apply to Union FS being turned out to an area they don’t want. 

Just stating the cold fact of it. 

That's not what people have been discussing though, so it's not exactly relevant. If that was being discussed I would be standing up for the Union FS STH affected. I have nothing to gain here I don't sit in the area talked about and know no one who does. For me it's just a matter of fairness and I hope the club thinks very carefully before relenting to pressure on this issue.

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

This is a problem for the club to deal with the most obvious work around is to move the kop and family stand that way any ticket holders can't moan about there seat and union fs can organise a signing section closer to the away fans in the kop...

It's to simple though!! the club need to pull there finger out

:D

16 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I’ve said it before but any ground extension would be the perfect time to get something sorted.

If you’re building a shiny new East Stand with corporate hospitality in then that’s the end of L1 but you’ll still have that very loyal group of fans who have been there for 20 years and want to be a) able to stand and b) next to the away fans.

I’m assuming part of a big new stand could be a new club shop (which they’ve wanted to keep near the Family Stand traditionally) so turn the South East corner where Union FS are currently into the family section, make the current Family Stand/North Stand a safe-standing/singing section and let ‘the Kop’ stay full of the sitters and moaners who are currently there.

Everyone wins: you don’t upset those who have been in the South Stand for years, you move the Family Stand away from the away fans and L1, Union FS and anyone else who wants to stand can do so in one stand behind that goal.

I live in hope but not expectation.

The club and the police actively don't want a load of "standers" near the away fans. Anyone wanting to stand or sing is tarred with the same brush and they prefer to keep as many away form them as possible IMO. I think that's your biggest issue, everything else they say would just be an excuse. 

Just now, Babylon said:

The club and the police actively don't want a load of "standers" near the away fans. Anyone wanting to stand or sing is tarred with the same brush and they prefer to keep as many away form them as possible IMO. I think that's your biggest issue, everything else they say would just be an excuse. 

What about all the effing and blinding from the away fans not exactly a great place to have kids is it?

44 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I’ve never understood why people get so precious about their seat.

guess it depends, doubt it’s actually about the “seat”, more the view you get and the people you’re around. 

just don’t think that anyone, whether they sing more or not, has the right to move hundreds of people from the middle of the kop to the top corner just because they think they would make better use of their seat. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Incredible - that exact quote went through my mind when I saw it!! As in word for word

I think this prevents them being that bit more inclusive tbh. 

I'm all for the singing section and aims to improve atmosphere but the blurred out faces is a tad cringey. 

Still, they're a credit to the club. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I think this prevents them being that bit more inclusive tbh. 

I'm all for the singing section and aims to improve atmosphere but the blurred out faces is a tad cringey. 

Still, they're a credit to the club. 

Oh yeh agreed, i was more astounded at the fact a word for word quote went through my head seconds before reading it from another human being. Those Holmesdale 'ultras' are a bunch of spotty virgins from Croydon with no friends. They went on strike when the club didn't move them to a central section, what a way to support your club.. I can't imagine our fans ever resorting to anything like this, and overall certainly can not be compared to Crystal Palace.

42 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I'd have thought it was obvious, especially if you've been there a long time. People form friendships with people around them and don't want to move and end up next to some random dickhead. Or in a worse seat, and let's not say that they don't exist. They do. 

That's fair enough. I've been pretty unlucky with people the last few years and found that everywhere I've moved to has had random idiots close by though. I should say that I get moving would be an inconvenience, but I don't see it as a major issue. Lets be honest, the view is pretty good wherever you are at the KP and you could quite easily find one just as good as they hold back 7,000 seats for individual match days.  

30 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

guess it depends, doubt it’s actually about the “seat”, more the view you get and the people you’re around. 

just don’t think that anyone, whether they sing more or not, has the right to move hundreds of people from the middle of the kop to the top corner just because they think they would make better use of their seat. 

I'm not saying anyone deserves a seat more than anyone else and several thousand may be perfectly happy with a silent stadium, but I think the general positives would outweigh negatives. Clubs move stadiums, rebuild stands all the time and people have to move. Reserving the bottom half of let's say SK2 wouldn't unseat too many and the club could cooperate with any friend groups to put them together elsewhere or close by. It is "The Kop" after all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Did you not get to choose your seat? And do you really go to the football for the quiet and to have a chat? 

I did get to choose my seat online but there was no indication that the 'Drummer Boy' would be that close. As I've said if you have an obstacle obscuring your view you are told in advance. Incidentally, I go to WATCH football and discuss situations as they have with people I go with. Who said anything about for the "quiet"?!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

I did get to choose my seat online but there was no indication that the 'Drummer Boy' would be that close. As I've said if you have an obstacle obscuring your view you are told in advance. Incidentally, I go to WATCH football and discuss situations as they have with people I go with. Who said anything about for the "quiet"?!!

Not sure it's what you want to hear (if you can hear anything now) but the drum and banner was moved back a row to be more considerate

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

I’ve never understood why people get so precious about their seat.

I've sat in SK1 Row Y since the ground opened. There are seven of us that sit together, starting from the aisle and moving inwards.

There aren't going to be another seven seats, next to an aisle and with such a good view, at the same price anywhere else in the ground.

I'm all for improving the atmosphere but don't want to be surrounded by 'standers' during a game.

Think the only way this could ever be sorted is for all seats to be open for relocation with those who have bee ST holders the longest getting first dibs.

Whatever the club do there will be a large number of upset fans.

12 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

I've sat in SK1 Row Y since the ground opened. There are seven of us that sit together, starting from the aisle and moving inwards.

There aren't going to be another seven seats, next to an aisle and with such a good view, at the same price anywhere else in the ground.

I'm all for improving the atmosphere but don't want to be surrounded by 'standers' during a game.

Think the only way this could ever be sorted is for all seats to be open for relocation with those who have bee ST holders the longest getting first dibs.

Whatever the club do there will be a large number of upset fans.

Just out of interest what made you get those seats? Obviously at Filbert Street SK1 and half of SK2 stood for the majority of matches.

• Like 2

So has anyone asked the club why they removed the restriction? 

It was entirely foreseeable that people would end up in the section who had no ****ing clue that they would be surrounded by standers.

Poor planning and behaviour from the club

We purchased seats there as we believed it would be a good view.

Had very intention of trying different areas as the season progressed (the club were open to st holders moving from area to area over the season) but that never happened.

Now all of an age where we want to sit most of the game, and if any of us need to use the toilets during the game we don't get moaned at by others having to stand. I accept that I have to stand up at away games but don't want to be forced to at home games by somebody deciding they will stand in front of us and fcuk everyone else. West ham had fans coming to blows when they first moved, club would have to be very careful about how they deal with any changes to create a standing area. Inclined to think they won't do anything until the capacity has increased.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Loved every minute of it on Saturday. Thought the noise was pretty good for what was pretty much a dead game after we scored the second, it's a shame we didn't really make many chances at the Kop end to help boost it a bit in the second half. 

I did notice the pocket of sitters about two thirds of the way back. This was due to the club taking the area off reserved sale and putting them on general without making people aware of what was going on in that area, even though we asked a couple of times for them to do so. Luckily I don't think there were any major issues. 

It really was a bit of a glimpse into what we could have with some pragmatic conversations around the time of the stadium redevelopment. Fair play to the club as well for allowing this to happen even if it is a one off for the time being, and giving the group pretty much free reign to run that little area as they wanted. 

Might seem trivial, but be careful how you phrase it, we know the club monitor the boards. It's a singing section, not a standing section. 

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Might seem trivial, but be careful how you phrase it, we know the club monitor the boards. It's a singing section, not a standing section. 

The club are much less bothered about standing than you might think in my experience. They knew the score when they reserved those seats. 

• Like 1