Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Wigan - Kop end Singing Section

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

I'd have thought it was obvious, especially if you've been there a long time. People form friendships with people around them and don't want to move and end up next to some random dickhead. Or in a worse seat, and let's not say that they don't exist. They do. 

Well seeing as they’d be moving the whole block anyone who values their friendship so much would surely move with the other person right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

guess it depends, doubt it’s actually about the “seat”, more the view you get and the people you’re around. 

just don’t think that anyone, whether they sing more or not, has the right to move hundreds of people from the middle of the kop to the top corner just because they think they would make better use of their seat. 

No one would be forced to move though. They could stay where they are and support the team?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K1FOX said:

Well seeing as they’d be moving the whole block anyone who values their friendship so much would surely move with the other person right?

And where exactly are these equally good seats with large blocks of free seats to move large groups.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vestan Pance said:

Just out of interest what made you get those seats? Obviously at Filbert Street SK1 and half of SK2 stood for the majority of matches.

My seats were in double decker,above kop, so I relocated for same view. Kop standing didn't block view so not an issue but it would be now. Best place for standing would be at back of Kop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Just a reminder that the club actively does remove people from their seats after sitting there for years at present if you sit in the family stand. 

Our group had this several years ago (once some were no longer under 18). We originally sat in N block and it was good and noisy then they changed it to part of family stand and we were discouraged from standing and singing.
We moved over to SK1 a few years ago, managing to get 8 seats over 2 rows fairly close to UFS and there is usually a good atmosphere. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David Hankey said:

I did get to choose my seat online but there was no indication that the 'Drummer Boy' would be that close. As I've said if you have an obstacle obscuring your view you are told in advance. Incidentally, I go to WATCH football and discuss situations as they have with people I go with. Who said anything about for the "quiet"?!!

You said that you couldn't hear yourself think and that you like to talk, suggesting that you prefer the atmosphere to be fairly quiet, no? 

I thought that fans who didn't go to actively support the team, rather preferring to sit down in the quiet, were better served in the West Stand. Traditionally the Kop is where the more vocal support stand surely? 

31 minutes ago, foxgas said:

My seats were in double decker,above kop, so I relocated for same view. Kop standing didn't block view so not an issue but it would be now. Best place for standing would be at back of Kop.

I agree

If they want a singing section behind the goal, in a central position, then these are the best view seats and fans might be reluctant to move from there. 

The ones at the back seems to have more people that sing anyway (although not together and that's why it's mostly lost) 

Wouldn't going for the top 10 rows from SK1-SK4 be a decent option 

3 hours ago, K1FOX said:

No one would be forced to move though. They could stay where they are and support the team?

no because all the Doreens and Dereks will make a point of not moving and staying where they are in silence because "thats my seat"

9 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

guess it depends, doubt it’s actually about the “seat”, more the view you get and the people you’re around. 

just don’t think that anyone, whether they sing more or not, has the right to move hundreds of people from the middle of the kop to the top corner just because they think they would make better use of their seat. 

Totally agree. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, adam said:

Not sure about that. The people.you want to turf out are probably the ones who had a season ticket when we got about 20k at home. 

The club will never force anyone from sk2 to move. Its never gonna happen.

It’s all season ticket holders so you’re right our let’s say it’s doubtful. I hope for the sake of the UFS lads that have took flak (lots from me) but put a lot of effort in for the atmosphere on the whole that some sort of compromise on a better location can be sorted. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to add an observation. I sit in SK2, and at the weekends game there were a lot of kids there, probably at their first game, and they absolutely loved it, the kid next to me was transfixed with the singing section and constantly made reference to it throughout. All I’ll say is well done, that is what the kids should experience at a football game, and not the two pillocks who ran into the pitch. I’m all for it, long may it continue! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Just wanted to add an observation. I sit in SK2, and at the weekends game there were a lot of kids there, probably at their first game, and they absolutely loved it, the kid next to me was transfixed with the singing section and constantly made reference to it throughout. All I’ll say is well done, that is what the kids should experience at a football game, and not the two pillocks who ran into the pitch. I’m all for it, long may it continue! 

I took my stepdaughters littleun who’s 7,to his first proper game on Saturday.Although Ive taken him to watch the mighty Slough Town a couple of times.I randomly picked tickets in SK2 towards the back.Im so glad I did as he thought it was absolutely brilliant(He was wired for hours after)With the ground being more or less full,the floodlights being on and kind weather,it really made for a great atmosphere.Lets face it the game was a bit naff after all.Not that it bothered him.He lives on an estate in deepest darkest Arsenal territory not far from the Emirates.No doubt he will eventually turn to the dark side.However his first memory will always be that Wigan match.Like you said he wasn’t the only first timer there either.

10 minutes ago, Snik-Snok said:

I've been to games in various countries, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Czech Republic, Japan, Turkey and every time I go I'm so envious of what they have. It frustrates me so much that football is supposed to be about entertainment and enjoyment but those running it seem determined to prevent it.

Leicester seem to be one of the biggest culprits in this regard. Ever since the stadium move, the various owners and authorities between them appear to have deliberately suppressed any attempt to get any proper atmosphere. Unfortunately, whereas many clubs have taken proactive steps to improve matters e.g. Derby, Wolves, Huddersfield, Middlesbrough, Leicester seem to be the opposite. As far as I know they are the only club to have refused to hold a safe standing roadshow (apparently, based on what I've read on here in the past), and Susan Whelen's comments in the fans committee meeting last year shows both a complete lack of understanding about it as well as demonstrating no interest whatsoever it seriously considering it. Whilst the current owners have been brilliant for this football club, they (or those tasked with running the club) do appear to be lacking an understanding of football culture. This is demonstrated with the ufs section last week, when not only did the club fail to inform supporters (a single sentence on the ticket info page would have been enough, so that interested people could join in, and those not interested could avoid it), but they then opened the block up to general sale, causing issues with people then unwittingly being right in the middle of that section.

There's a clear move to bring back standing areas. Nearly all supporters group surveys are strongly in favour, all political parties bar the conservatives had said they will allow it, and the tories themselves are supposedly reviewing it. Even those that prefer to sit can surely see the benefit of having an area where those that stand up and block their view can relocate to. Most all-seater grounds in the country now have large sections of people standing, and most away ends are almost completely stood up.

The regulations have changed to now allow rails to be installed for safety which essentially give the all clear for unofficial standing. Clubs are preparing for it, wolves now have about 8,000 standing in rail seats behind the goal, spurs new ground has about 15,000 rail seats. Everton's new ground will have about 15,000 standing behind one goal. Others grounds will follow without doubt. 

If the club do not prepare and get ready for it then they will be left behind. They should be looking long term to make one end all standing (probably about 8,000 spaces which assuming an extension goes ahead will only be about 20% of the stadium), plan in advance and start to work out a phased plan that will allow people to relocate to where they'd prefer. 

Good luck you ufs guys, keep up the good work, but unless there's a u-turn from within the club then I can't see much changing soon... 

I seem to remember being told that it was down to the local authorities safety team that set the standards.Leicester’s being quite harsh????? Might be wrong.

This seems to be the way to go https://2020seat.co.uk/

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/november/adams-park-first-ground-to-install-2020-seat/

https://www.isportconnect.com/wolves-install-ground-breaking-football-seats-molineux/

You choose to sit or stand, everyone eyes are at the same height and offset seats help even more.  Then if we set up a section and people 100% didn't want to move then they can stay in the new 2020 seats!

Edited by Guppy Assist

Was over for Christmas from Japan with the kids.  Could only get to the Newcastle and Wigan games as the tickets were o  genersl.  It reminded me of how the football fans here follow their teams.   They all have a section of ultras copied from the Italian which influenced football here from the 80/90s period.

Brilliant, may it long continue.

10 hours ago, Pliskin said:

This is the reason we need an extension - get the kids hooked