Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Talk:

10 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

I see no reason why Fofana should not operate as a free defender , carrying the ball forward and pushing into midfield with Ndidi, Evans and Soyuncu behind him , sort of similar to Viera for Arsenal who was always covered by Petit , Adams and Keown. The lad has good control and it would be an alternative to always giving it to Youri

That is exactly his role when Evans is fit. But as Evans was injured, and Albrighton is in good form, Rodgers went for Castagne as the spare one instead.

If Evans is fit for the cup final, I imagine Albrighton drops to the bench and Fofana does Castagne's role, who moves to RWB.

Edited by StriderHiryu

B04zLWT.png

Leicester won the FA Cup final for the first time in their history on Saturday 15th May!

A very tight game, which was decided by one exceptional moment of quality from Youri Tielemans! But let's talk tactics and look at the game a little more.

Leicester lined up as expected in a 3412, with the big calls being risking Evans as the middle of the 3 CBs, Luke Thomas ahead of Ricardo / Castagne as LWB and Perez ahead of Maddison as the number 10. Vardy and Iheanacho led the line as they have done in recent weeks.

Tuchel did go for some spicy changes to their lineup. The biggest talking point was playing Reese James as a 3rd CB to provide a spare man for our two strikers, whereas usually they play Azpilcuetta as the 3rd CB and James as the RWB instead. I expect this was done as as a direct nod to Jamie Vardy's pace on the break, given that Thiago Silva and Rudiger are not the fastest CB's. At left wing back he went for Alonso over Chilwell, perhaps preferring a more defensive / physical approach, or perhaps just to rest Chilwell for Tuesday. Kovacic was missing completely, though N'golo Kante was fit to play and put in a star turn for the West Londoners.

After 30 minutes Evans was injured, meaning Albrighton came on as the RWB with Castagne moving to RCB. This has looked quite susceptible in previous matches, but all CBs; Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana and Castagne were top class throughout the 90 when called upon.

Chelsea played very centrally in the game, with little threat down either wing throughout the 90. This meant that Chelsea had territorial possession over the 90 minutes, but didn't offer much threat down the flanks. Mason Mount found some good positions drifting between the lines for two good efforts, one requiring a world class save from Kasper, but generally Chelsea did not create much from open play, despite bombarding Leicester with corners. Notably when Chilwell came one, the Chelsea attack looked much better, and he offered a real threat down the left hand side and almost snatched an equaliser.

Leicester's approach was a mixed one. We neither played a complete full press, nor played a rope-a-dope counter attack. We definitely did not play a massively risky approach, but we were competitive throughout. Personally I was very happy with the approach we used, and felt it was well suited for a final. We could look at having just one shot on target in the game as a negative, but in the first half we played to contain Chelsea, whereas in the second we started much brighter and tried to apply the pressure a lot more. I think this was part of the gameplan; using Perez's workrate in the first half, with Maddison to offer the quality in the second half to win it. As it happened, we didn't need Maddison, with the game turning on it's head after Youri's world class final winning worthy goal. It was also notable that we contained Chelsea to largely one part of the pitch to attack in. For some reason despite Ziyech having a lot of free space, especially in the first half, Cheslea never really looked for him. Castagne did step up at times to watch out for him when he was the RCB, which largely contained him. 

From our perspective perhaps two things didn't work so well. First Kelechi Iheanacho who has been so brilliant in getting us to the final had a real off day. He took up great positions, but the ball kept bouncing off him, and it scuppered our attacks over and over again. Perez was also ineffectual, though this wasn't so much down to a bad performance but more because a man by the name of Kante hoovered up the ball every time it went close to him. We struggled throughout the game to connect out midfield pivot with out forwards because of this, which is why we didn't create many chances. But we looked threatening down the wings, Castagne and Albrighton had decent runs against Alonso in either half.

After going ahead, we kept the same system for around 10 minutes, with Maddison coming for Iheanacho and Perez moving to play up front. I felt this was the right call as Nacho had an off day and Perez had showed good work rate in the interception that led to Tielemans finish. In the last 15-20 minutes we shut up shop, with Wes Morgan and Hamza Choudhury coming on Perez and Luke Thomas, going for a 541 toward the end of the game. This did almost backfire and might well have done if Chilwell's goal had stood, but for the most part Leicester were not cut apart at any time in the game against Chelsea, even if Chilwell twice and Mount came close to an equaliser. Morgan coming on was a real surprise, but it was notable he came on as soon as Giroud was brought on for Werner, so almost certainly he was brought on for the sole reason to win that physical battle.

From Chelsea's point of view, they did not play badly, but IMO did not really do enough to win the game either. I think that is an OK way to play when the game is 0-0, but after going behind (to a world class goal at that), they were slow to change things up and really attack the game. Under Tuchel, Chelsea are hard to beat, but are way less expansive than under Lampard, and that's something Tuchel will have to solve. After a massive summer outlay on multiple attacking players, it was home grown academy product Mason Mount that looked like their most threatening player. I think N'golo Kante and Ben Chilwell deserve calling out though, both were understandably up for it and were among Chelsea's better players when on the pitch.

We play again on Tuesday, and Chelsea will be very motivated to win. Not going to extra time will help us a lot for that game, but no doubt there will be no Evans to select. We will probably go for the same lineup, but I do fear the last 30 minutes, given that we will most likely be knackered by that point!

A very memorable day, and respect to Rodgers for getting it right! Thank you to everyone involved with the club for creating a wonderful day for all Foxes fans!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I very much hope we don't go with the same lineup.  They certainly won't.  I expect the 10 field players that finished, less Werner instead of Giroud.  They'll be attacking from the opening whistle - set up to counter.

Thomas-Soyuncu-Fofana-Ricardo

Tielemans-Ndidi   

Albrighton-Maddison-Castagne

Vardy

Edited by Deeg67

10 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

B04zLWT.png

Leicester won the FA Cup final for the first time in their history on Saturday 15th May!

A very tight game, which was decided by one exceptional moment of quality from Youri Tielemans! But let's talk tactics and look at the game a little more.

Leicester lined up as expected in a 3412, with the big calls being risking Evans as the middle of the 3 CBs, Luke Thomas ahead of Ricardo / Castagne as LWB and Perez ahead of Maddison as the number 10. Vardy and Iheanacho led the line as they have done in recent weeks.

Tuchel did go for some spicy changes to their lineup. The biggest talking point was playing Reese James as a 3rd CB to provide a spare man for our two strikers, whereas usually they play Azpilcuetta as the 3rd CB and James as the RWB instead. I expect this was done as as a direct nod to Jamie Vardy's pace on the break, given that Thiago Silva and Rudiger are not the fastest CB's. At left wing back he went for Alonso over Chilwell, perhaps preferring a more defensive / physical approach, or perhaps just to rest Chilwell for Tuesday. Kovacic was missing completely, though N'golo Kante was fit to play and put in a star turn for the West Londoners.

After 30 minutes Evans was injured, meaning Albrighton came on as the RWB with Castagne moving to RCB. This has looked quite susceptible in previous matches, but all CBs; Evans, Soyuncu, Fofana and Castagne were top class throughout the 90 when called upon.

Chelsea played very centrally in the game, with little threat down either wing throughout the 90. This meant that Chelsea had territorial possession over the 90 minutes, but didn't offer much threat down the flanks. Mason Mount found some good positions drifting between the lines for two good efforts, one requiring a world class save from Kasper, but generally Chelsea did not create much from open play, despite bombarding Leicester with corners. Notably when Chilwell came one, the Chelsea attack looked much better, and he offered a real threat down the left hand side and almost snatched an equaliser.

Leicester's approach was a mixed one. We neither played a complete full press, nor played a rope-a-dope counter attack. We definitely did not play a massively risky approach, but we were competitive throughout. Personally I was very happy with the approach we used, and felt it was well suited for a final. We could look at having just one shot on target in the game as a negative, but in the first half we played to contain Chelsea, whereas in the second we started much brighter and tried to apply the pressure a lot more. I think this was part of the gameplan; using Perez's workrate in the first half, with Maddison to offer the quality in the second half to win it. As it happened, we didn't need Maddison, with the game turning on it's head after Youri's world class final winning worthy goal. It was also notable that we contained Chelsea to largely one part of the pitch to attack in. For some reason despite Ziyech having a lot of free space, especially in the first half, Cheslea never really looked for him. Castagne did step up at times to watch out for him when he was the RCB, which largely contained him. 

From our perspective perhaps two things didn't work so well. First Kelechi Iheanacho who has been so brilliant in getting us to the final had a real off day. He took up great positions, but the ball kept bouncing off him, and it scuppered our attacks over and over again. Perez was also ineffectual, though this wasn't so much down to a bad performance but more because a man by the name of Kante hoovered up the ball every time it went close to him. We struggled throughout the game to connect out midfield pivot with out forwards because of this, which is why we didn't create many chances. But we looked threatening down the wings, Castagne and Albrighton had decent runs against Alonso in either half.

After going ahead, we kept the same system for around 10 minutes, with Maddison coming for Iheanacho and Perez moving to play up front. I felt this was the right call as Nacho had an off day and Perez had showed good work rate in the interception that led to Tielemans finish. In the last 15-20 minutes we shut up shop, with Wes Morgan and Hamza Choudhury coming on Perez and Luke Thomas, going for a 541 toward the end of the game. This did almost backfire and might well have done if Chilwell's goal had stood, but for the most part Leicester were not cut apart at any time in the game against Chelsea, even if Chilwell twice and Mount came close to an equaliser. Morgan coming on was a real surprise, but it was notable he came on as soon as Giroud was brought on for Werner, so almost certainly he was brought on for the sole reason to win that physical battle.

From Chelsea's point of view, they did not play badly, but IMO did not really do enough to win the game either. I think that is an OK way to play when the game is 0-0, but after going behind (to a world class goal at that), they were slow to change things up and really attack the game. Under Tuchel, Chelsea are hard to beat, but are way less expansive than under Lampard, and that's something Tuchel will have to solve. After a massive summer outlay on multiple attacking players, it was home grown academy product Mason Mount that looked like their most threatening player. I think N'golo Kante and Ben Chilwell deserve calling out though, both were understandably up for it and were among Chelsea's better players when on the pitch.

We play again on Tuesday, and Chelsea will be very motivated to win. Not going to extra time will help us a lot for that game, but no doubt there will be no Evans to select. We will probably go for the same lineup, but I do fear the last 30 minutes, given that we will most likely be knackered by that point!

A very memorable day, and respect to Rodgers for getting it right! Thank you to everyone involved with the club for creating a wonderful day for all Foxes fans!

It's amazing how much effort you have put into this post well done.

For me I thought we were getting battered in 1st half and couldn't get out. I thought it would be a matter of time before they scored. We looked nervous.

Then after half time brendan obviously tweaked things or said something as we were all over them and scored. We looked confident. 

I think the Maddison sub gave them the offensive again and they came on to us again and we were getting deeper and deeper.

Thank god for var. I think they would have gone on to win otherwise.  But it was the right call. And a fairytale day.

• Thanks 1

Great Post as always by @StriderHiryu

I felt we played our game plan for for debut cup final..First 10 just settle in. Schmeichel even kicked from.his hands. Then start some phases and then contain til half time. 

Second half we were slowly but surely moving through a gear or two and cranking up the pressure. Had youri not scored, I felt we'd got hold of the game anyway at that point and the pressure would've increased. 

Last 20, the players had total belief in their coaching and shape. It's great elite sports mentality that, when under extreme pressure, to rely on your processes and block put the emotions. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John12345 said:

It's amazing how much effort you have put into this post well done.

For me I thought we were getting battered in 1st half and couldn't get out. I thought it would be a matter of time before they scored. We looked nervous.

Then after half time brendan obviously tweaked things or said something as we were all over them and scored. We looked confident. 

I think the Maddison sub gave them the offensive again and they came on to us again and we were getting deeper and deeper.

Thank god for var. I think they would have gone on to win otherwise.  But it was the right call. And a fairytale day.

Chelsea were definitely the better team in the first half but I don’t think they battered us. They had a lot of corners but they had half chances at best. In fact I thought Vardy’s chance from Castagne’s cross early in the half was one of the better efforts in the half.

In truth this was a classic final affair. Two evenly matched teams in a close encounter. Such games always come down to one individual moment of quality and fortunately for us, the star man lived to his billing with a goal worthy of winning any game. 

I was impressed with our performance; it wasn’t vintage but it was assured. It’s rare to have an open attacking final given what’s at stake, and we haven’t been involved in one for 20+ years! 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Second half we were slowly but surely moving through a gear or two and cranking up the pressure. Had youri not scored, I felt we'd got hold of the game anyway at that point and the pressure would've increased. 

Yeah agreed. The goal changed the game, but we were in the ascendancy. Maddison was being prepared to come on which was part of the plan; contest the game, work our way into it, get on top and then start trying to win it. 

The plan was spot on and that’s despite losing a real leader in Evans. You could tell we had prepared for that to happen. 

• 2 months later...

Don't agree that we tried any new tactics, it was a fairly familiar style and shape from us, but a good video nonetheless.

Explains the roles of Perez and Ricardo very well - Perez deliberately moves infield so Ricardo can overlap him, which can bring out the best in both players.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The notable tactical change yesterday was how close Madders & Vards were together. Man City play out from the back via their CDM, Rodri / Fernandinho. 

JM & JV were constantly together blocking off that outlet, that caused Mendy / Cancelo to come more central which exploited the flanks.

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Don't agree that we tried any new tactics, it was a fairly familiar style and shape from us, but a good video nonetheless.

Explains the roles of Perez and Ricardo very well - Perez deliberately moves infield so Ricardo can overlap him, which can bring out the best in both players.

I was going to ask your opinion on yesterday, from TV it's not always easy to tell tactics and formations. I think we played a pretty successful 4231 and the 4 substitutions at 71 minutes seemed like for like replacements keeping 4231 but on 79 minutes when Thomas and Iheanacho came on I couldn't make out how we accommodated Iheanacho. Did we go 442 diamond or 4411 we Daka in front or was it straight 442 or something else I missed?

4 minutes ago, NuneatonFox1 said:

The notable tactical change yesterday was how close Madders & Vards were together. Man City play out from the back via their CDM, Rodri / Fernandinho. 

JM & JV were constantly together blocking off that outlet, that caused Mendy / Cancelo to come more central which exploited the flanks.

Yes he did seem advanced when they played out from the back but then seemed to crop up all over the place to find spaces to receive the ball. I think we found a lot of gaps between their lines yesterday.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

So Ricardo is our right winger with Perez cutting inside and Ndidi covering. Perez is probably the best player we have for that.

2 hours ago, NuneatonFox1 said:

We are almost playing a 4-4-2 when we don't have the ball.

23 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

So Ricardo is our right winger with Perez cutting inside and Ndidi covering. Perez is probably the best player we have for that.

That’s one of our most regularly used attacking pattern of play yeah. Sometimes Bertrand will go instead and Ricardo won’t go forwards instead. Occasionally both full backs go and Ndidi drops back but we didn’t do that once yesterday. 

When we attack we generally have a 325 shape and that’s regardless of the system used. For example even with 3 at the back, one of the CBS sometimes goes out to right wing and Ndidi drops in. 

It’s quite common in many possession teams and is effective. 

• Like 1

With the same midfield and forward line in 19/20 it was very much a 4-1-4-1, has evolved now into a 4-2-3-1 with Maddison much higher to Vardy, operating as a 10 rather than an 8. 

I like how we keep Barnes high, having a steady left back like Bertrand behind him is perfect. I’m not a huge Perez fan, but I do like the positions he takes up, coming infield a lot more, operating as another 10, allowing Ricardo to bomb forward.

The balance of the team seems really good at the moment, having an advanced winger on the left, supported by a steady left back, with the right sided player, playing much more centrally, allowing the right back to push much further forward. 

• Like 2

We started in a 4231 today, same as the shield so that appears to still be our favoured formation when Barnes is available. 

The talking point for me was switching to 3412 / 343 when we were ahead and having Tielemans, Soumare and Ndidi on the pitch. We all speculated that Soumare meant we might see a 433 but we’ve only seen a glimpse of that in preseason against QPR and that was more because Maddison’s missus went into labor. 

Soumare was a done deal as long ago as February so this is clearly a player Rodgers felt he needed. The idea I think is this; running a high press inevitably tires out our team. When that happens we can bring on Soumare so that we have three players in the middle of the park with bags full of energy. We can stop getting bullied in midfield and control the game without a high press. 

Today it didn’t work. Soumare dwelt on the ball too much and if anything caused moves to break down rather than keep them going. But he impressed in preseason and the Community Shield. This is his adaptation season and what Fofana did should not be expected - the way he adapted as a 19 year old was phenomenal. 

West Ham will be an interesting test. We played 3 at the back both times against them last season and got destroyed both times. My prediction is I think we will see Soumare or KDH start in a midfield 3 for the game, or at least switch to that if we are losing. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

The Napoli game was fascinating, as that was one of the most fluid setups I've ever seen us play under Rodgers. Honestly I need to go back and watch the game again to really understand it all, as I was watching it in the pub with @Oadby Fox.

At times we played 4231, 442, and 433. Sometimes Daka and Nacho were the lone strikers, then it was Nacho, at one point it was Perez! Then one of the 3 would be the 10, and one would be the 7. The only constant is that Barnes was always the left forward at all times.

Second half we went 433, which IMO led to our best spell. Ndidi, Soumare and Tielemans got us our best spell of control in the game, though Tielemans I felt made too many misplaced passes for a player of his quality.

Bringing Maddison on for Soumare was a mistake IMO. Maddison himself didn't do that badly, for one of their counter attacks he was even the furthest player back, so you can't accuse him of not working for the team! But Soumare was really getting about and bossing the game, and I felt that Choudhury might have been a better sub there. I guess Rodgers wanted someone to put their foot on the ball and dictate play, but it didn't seem to work out. Once again I am not putting the blame on Maddison's shoulders here, I think the manager could have made a better sub or decision instead.

Some observations from me:

- Evans and Vestergaard = no pace. Oshimen got in a few times in the first half as did Insigne. People are giving Soyuncu a bad time, but I felt like his pace rectified this in the second half, and Oshimen's second goal was fabulous, he had a running jump over a standing player. Yes perhaps he could have done better, but I don't put all the blame on him.

- Castagne over Ricardo. Castagne was solid, but in this game we lacked that right full back outlet that Riccy P specialises in.

- 433 looked good. I felt with Soumare, Ihenacho, Tielemans, Ndidi, Soyuncu and Lookman on the pitch is when we looked the best. Lookman suprised me with his strength and workrate. He pressed the game quite well for someone that has been with us for no time at all. The 3 central midifelders had great energy and we started to overrun Napoli for once. Nacho and Daka were both good, but I felt Nacho's pressing was more purposeful.

- We were poor playing out from the back again, as we have been all season. This time it didn't lead to a goal, but we gave up too much control in the game.

Agree with everything, lovely post. 

Rodgers said Soumare was tiring, but don't think Maddison was the right sub as you say.

Wanted to see for some time Soumare, Ndidi and Tielemans together. Gives us much more solidity, and with the centre-half issues, I think that's even more important. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Agree with everything, lovely post. 

Rodgers said Soumare was tiring, but don't think Maddison was the right sub as you say.

Wanted to see for some time Soumare, Ndidi and Tielemans together. Gives us much more solidity, and with the centre-half issues, I think that's even more important. 

The problem is I am not sure we can play all 3 together. Not for an entire 90 anyway. We brought Soumare to be able to rotate the other two, so we don't have enough depth to play all 3 for every game. KDH I think could make an impact too based on his preseason performances, and I suspect he will get some games against Millwall and then Legia / Spartak.

IMO though the 433 that Napoli themselves used today, or that Liverpool use would be a good system for us to use. Maddison can be a match winner, but I feel in modern football that the 433 allows you to bully teams more effectively. Napoli are a great team, but for example I think a midfield 3 like that will bully teams like Brighton, Palace, Newcastle more effectively, whereas 4231 requires us to be more technical.

Anyway lets see what happens. The good news is that Soumare looks like another good signing by the club. Can he completely replace Tielemans if he leaves? Maybe he can, even if he's a bit different in the way he plays.

• Like 1

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

The problem is I am not sure we can play all 3 together. Not for an entire 90 anyway. We brought Soumare to be able to rotate the other two, so we don't have enough depth to play all 3 for every game. KDH I think could make an impact too based on his preseason performances, and I suspect he will get some games against Millwall and then Legia / Spartak.

IMO though the 433 that Napoli themselves used today, or that Liverpool use would be a good system for us to use. Maddison can be a match winner, but I feel in modern football that the 433 allows you to bully teams more effectively. Napoli are a great team, but for example I think a midfield 3 like that will bully teams like Brighton, Palace, Newcastle more effectively, whereas 4231 requires us to be more technical.

Anyway lets see what happens. The good news is that Soumare looks like another good signing by the club. Can he completely replace Tielemans if he leaves? Maybe he can, even if he's a bit different in the way he plays.

Fair point. 

West Ham is the type of game where that midfield combination would work far better, than playing less physical, more technical players like Maddison and Perez. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Fair point. 

West Ham is the type of game where that midfield combination would work far better, than playing less physical, more technical players like Maddison and Perez. 

100%. That's the game we needed to line up that way for.

Well the good news is we've seen the 433 now, so we have it in our locker. At our best, we've played 4231 so don't mind using that formation. But good to see we aren't stubborn and are prepared to change it based on the opposition. Perhaps one criticism today is we changed it over too many times. But if a coach can get a team being that fluid, that speaks very highly of that coach. Many of our players are young, so as they improve they will only get better.