Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Tactics Talk:

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Just listened to the Totally Football Podcast - insulting assessment of BR's methods, basically saying he just copies other managers' methods, ignorant of what he's done previously.

Sort of. Starts off quite disingenuous, but raises the tone somewhat further in, seems to imply him more a student rather than a teacher.

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Wow what a find! Thank you for posting!

This is literally the best site for tactical analysis in the world. Some of the contributors for this site now work in the Bundesliga for clubs like Gladbach, Dortmund and Leipzig. Their analysis makes mine look amateur. Will enjoy reading this tonight!

Edit: Read the first couple of paragraphs and it does not disappoint. This is gold dust!

I read the first couple of paragraphs...then started scrolling... life’s too short @LC/FC& @StriderHiryu!

However I’d be delighted to read a three paragraph summary of the seminar, ditto the piece in Spielverlagerung!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I read the first couple of paragraphs...then started scrolling... life’s too short @LC/FC& @StriderHiryu!

However I’d be delighted to read a three paragraph summary of the seminar, ditto the piece in Spielverlagerung!

Yeah that’s the problem with the site, the prose is extremely dense and hard to follow. When I make posts I deliberately try to use as many images and gifs as possible for this reason. For what it’s worth, even I find this hard to follow!

But that being said, this is the best Leicester City tactical analysis I’ve ever read by miles. They’ve deconstructed our attacking patterns of play, positioning in each phase of play, our pressing triggers, even changes with games to counter opponents trying to counter us. Truly incredible analysis and insights which make me want to watch the games they’ve analysed again!

I will try and digest some of what they’ve written if I have time with more images and gifs. It’s truly a treasure trove of information.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Tbf I'm taking my time slowly trying to understand it as well. Only up to the Focused Attacking Strategies in Wide Areas bit.

As Strider says, it can get complicated when using so many technical terms around tactics, so it does end up as Chess in a world of Checkers. Personally I find YouTube channels such as Tifo the best for explaining tactics simply as their graphics and animations help with the visualisation of things happening and explained.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the Do they mean Us thread but it's probably better in here.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12227534/leicester-city-are-in-the-big-six-now-brendan-rodgers-on-the-tactical-flexibility-that-is-key-to-their-success

Leicester City are in the big six now: Brendan Rodgers on the tactical flexibility that is key to their success

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers explains how his side have needed to be tactically flexible to succeed this season.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/12227534/leicester-city-are-in-the-big-six-now-brendan-rodgers-on-the-tactical-flexibility-that-is-key-to-their-success

Leicester City are in the big six now: Brendan Rodgers on the tactical flexibility that is key to their success

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers explains how his side have needed to be tactically flexible to succeed this season.

Good read, one of the reason we shouldn't fear the loss of Maddison as much as last season, is increased ability to be flexible and find different ways to win.

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Brilliant article, that and our improved squad depth are the reasons why we've managed to kick on again this season. In terms of points on the board and league standing it might not look that different, but every Leicester fan knows that we have improved again this time round.

That Rodgers no longer has a fixation with one specific system and is prepared to change things around is incredible for us, and I think we are one of the most complete teams in the league, possibly even more so than Liverpool! With Liverpool's current injury list, they should not be trying to play the usual Klopp style high press against all teams IMO, but look to use their better player quality against teams that can't match them. We can still improve in many areas, but with so many young players being adept at playing in so many ways, it means we are building an incredible team. Players like Tielemans, Barnes, Maddison are already really good, but just imagine them in a few seasons! I just hope they are still here so we can enjoy them because they would be formidable. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 21:39, Steve Earle said:

The German tacticians know their stuff but christ do they know how to make it dull. I second the translation request.

20 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

Basically unlike before where our 4141/433 was brilliant with our full line up of players in the best places positionally, once we started losing players in key positions we dropped off like we did last year. That set up let us press and pass when we had the required players and is still probably IMO our strongest attacking set up. 

But as we found out, when we lack the key cog in the machine it isn't as effective. We don't press and trap the zones in right places or timings or passes just aren't on the same wavelength. 

This year our thing is flexibility. Not only in formation but also systems as injuries, lockdown and turnover of games have required Rodgers to use more squad rotation but also continual adaptive tweaking of system and players. He's using our players understanding of the game and own flexibility in multiple positions to play multiple systems that fit the profile. Round holes for the pegs. 

What people need to see is that Leicester are far from one dimensional. We can just about do it all. You've seen us pass the ball around like peak Brazil. We're able to press teams silly and pounce on their mistakes by squeezing the life out of them off the ball and still, if the chance arrives, we can still counter like the Leicester City that everyone thinks we are by scoring a goal with a breakaway from a from a conceded corner in about 5 seconds.

It's just that this season has made us have to force that flexibility and adaptiveness after the end of last and the injuries we've had. James Justin in the best example of the overall approach but like Castagne or Albrighton, they can go in other positions and still be good. Play anywhere that you can actually perform in and depending on the player availability, there's a formation that can be utilised because we have a talented squad that have multiple caps that they can don. 4 or 5 at the back? What's the availability of which player? Where do they fit in can go where? If everyone was fit then it's the usual 1 or 2 formations a season. I think we've had about 5-6 different things because of line ups of people. Hence why without Soyuncu at the start or Ricky P it wasn't bad for us and now without Justin or Barnes, we can still cope. 

Key to all of this is Youri and his all-round midfield game. It'd take me another post to explain why, not like it hasn't been done already but he's literally the cog of transformation in the machine. The simple fact that he can play anywhere and in any position in the midfield be it a 2, 3 or 4 in a Diamond is the reason he's the conductor of the team. There's a reason why the passing and maps of Youri are mental!

Sensational post!

• Like 1

We normally look dreadful defending the half spaces with three at the back. I think Sheff United were so poor that it didn’t matter but even a weathered Man United will cause us more problems here.

I don’t think it’s quite the Perez renaissance some are hoping for either, his last three goals have been against Sheff United which unfortunately says a lot.

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We normally look dreadful defending the half spaces with three at the back. I think Sheff United were so poor that it didn’t matter but even a weathered Man United will cause us more problems here.

I don’t think it’s quite the Perez renaissance some are hoping for either, his last three goals have been against Sheff United which unfortunately says a lot.

Do you think he played well in that position, though?

1 hour ago, LC/FC said:

Basically unlike before where our 4141/433 was brilliant with our full line up of players in the best places positionally, once we started losing players in key positions we dropped off like we did last year. That set up let us press and pass when we had the required players and is still probably IMO our strongest attacking set up. 

But as we found out, when we lack the key cog in the machine it isn't as effective. We don't press and trap the zones in right places or timings or passes just aren't on the same wavelength. 

This year our thing is flexibility. Not only in formation but also systems as injuries, lockdown and turnover of games have required Rodgers to use more squad rotation but also continual adaptive tweaking of system and players. He's using our players understanding of the game and own flexibility in multiple positions to play multiple systems that fit the profile. Round holes for the pegs. 

What people need to see is that Leicester are far from one dimensional. We can just about do it all. You've seen us pass the ball around like peak Brazil. We're able to press teams silly and pounce on their mistakes by squeezing the life out of them off the ball and still, if the chance arrives, we can still counter like the Leicester City that everyone thinks we are by scoring a goal with a breakaway from a from a conceded corner in about 5 seconds.

It's just that this season has made us have to force that flexibility and adaptiveness after the end of last and the injuries we've had. James Justin in the best example of the overall approach but like Castagne or Albrighton, they can go in other positions and still be good. Play anywhere that you can actually perform in and depending on the player availability, there's a formation that can be utilised because we have a talented squad that have multiple caps that they can don. 4 or 5 at the back? What's the availability of which player? Where do they fit in can go where? If everyone was fit then it's the usual 1 or 2 formations a season. I think we've had about 5-6 different things because of line ups of people. Hence why without Soyuncu at the start or Ricky P it wasn't bad for us and now without Justin or Barnes, we can still cope. 

Key to all of this is Youri and his all-round midfield game. It'd take me another post to explain why, not like it hasn't been done already but he's literally the cog of transformation in the machine. The simple fact that he can play anywhere and in any position in the midfield be it a 2, 3 or 4 in a Diamond is the reason he's the conductor of the team. There's a reason why the passing and maps of Youri are mental!

Good post, Rodgers willingness to adapt and change tactics this season to get the best out of the players available has been outstanding.

The question is often ask whether Rodgers is a elite level manager (Whatever thats suppose to mean), for me he has show more tactical awareness this season than 3 so called elite managers Mourinho, Ancelotti and Klopp.

Ancelotti has created a rich man Burnley.

Klopp has put square pegs in round holes all season. 

Mourinho has parked the bus, eventhou he has the attacking talents of Kane, Son and Bale.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Do you think he played well in that position, though?

He played quite well yes, just as one disastrous game isn’t the yard stick to judge a player neither is one good one.

I’d be very happy if it turned out he was brilliant in that position but I’m sceptical.

3 hours ago, LC/FC said:

Step in the right direction, if you could just turn it into a 15s TikTok video now that'd be great thanks.

Only joking, really good summary thanks!

Blimey. Top post. A different level x100 to usual tv pundits analysis we get fed. Can see why BR isn't keen on Under if he can't correctly press or position to implement this witchcraft. Now using Nacho in a slightly different set up with Maddison out, to baffle the opposition who have read this. Genius post. Thank you

On 15/02/2021 at 18:28, HighPeakFox said:

Just listened to the Totally Football Podcast - insulting assessment of BR's methods, basically saying he just copies other managers' methods, ignorant of what he's done previously.

As long as he follows the right one's at the right time that's fine by me 😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1