Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Premier League's Most Iconic Player of the Decade

5 hours ago, Mythyaar said:

Much that I detest the club, surprised not to see Steven Gerrard on that list.

4 hours ago, Foxes1 said:

Surprised Steven Gerrard is not on the list from England's golden generation. :D

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Good joke.

But the last decade thing surely goes for Van Persie too?

Gerrard's best days were clearly in the 00s and he tailed off after the season they finished 2nd (13/14?). 

RVP went up to 2015 (?) and helped Man Utd win the league in his first season after scoring several goals, some of the great. His impact, in this decade alone, was more than what Gerrard achieved.

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Bit of a daft thing from the BBC imo, iconic is so subjective and so applicable to the eye of the beholder.

If I was a Leicester fan it would be Vardy, if I was a city fan it's Aguero, etc, etc.

Yeah but if you support anyone else it is still Vardy 

As others have said Iconic is such a loose term to use. It comes back to your own experiences as fan. What it means to me is in 50 years time when people Look back on this period of football what will their memories be, what images will come Into their head.

For me Wes Morgan lifting the trophy or Jamie Vardy standing in front of opposition supporters with his arms out, fingers to his lips or shouting its mine!

Other icons of the last 10 years should include:

Aguero - that moment will be spoken about forever.

Ballotelli - you can’t think of the last 10 years without the image of ‘why always me’

Suarez - From the sublime to the ridiculous at times

Rooney just always there with  story and great goals.

Players like Hazard, Kane, Milner and De Gea, whilst very good footballers are not iconic. If you’re talking best players in PL they are worthy of mention - but 20 years time you won’t even remember what they looked like. They haven’t been involved in the big moments that have defined the game over the last 10 years.

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

What the **** hahahhaa

David Silva has been consistently one of the best players in the world throughout the entirety of the decade. While Rooney is iconic for different reasons. Obviously a great player towards the begging game of the decade but iconic for being Wayne Rooney as much as anything. 

Interestingly though, here's the top comment from the BBC poll:

He may not be the best player on the list but in terms of 'iconic' players, it has to be Jamie Vardy. Coming from non-league football and achieving what he has with Leicester, and staying loyal after winning the league, he represents everything good that the game still clings on to.