Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Premier League's Most Iconic Player of the Decade

The next instalment on BBC - Vardy included.

Aguero
De Gea
Hazard
Kane
Kante
Kompany
Lampard
Milner
Rooney
David Silva
Sterling
Terry
Yaya Toure
Van Persie

Vardy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50405572

(193 appearances; 96 goals; 27 assists)

The unlikely hero.

In 2012, Jamie Vardy was still playing non-league football for Fleetwood Town, before he got his £1m move to then Championship side Leicester City.

He only scored five goals in his first campaign in the Premier League - but then netted 24 times as the Foxes won the title the following season.

Thirteen, 20, 18 and 16 in 17 games so far this season have followed and Vardy has established himself as one of the best strikers in the league.

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Indeed he was for a limited period I agree, but iconic? I think Man City have a number of players that would usurp him to that accolade in the last decade.

Yes, they do. Which is why they are also on the shortlist.

He was there for 8 very succesful years and had a key role in them lifting their first major trophies in decades. Think that's more than enough justification for him to be on the list.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

As much as I would love to vote for Vardy, I just can't get past Aguero (if I am being reasonable and not voting for my team/player).

Aguero has regularly scored 20 goals in a season, year after year and of course he has THAT moment in 2012.

If it was iconic premier league player of the decade then yes Aguero. But the BBC can't decide if it is Premier League or English football's iconic player. For English football a player that started the decade in non league ended the decade with 2 league winners medals, a premier league goal scoring record and a handful of England caps and goals, not to mention wound up every football fan in the country that can give it but can't take it.

The man's a legend!

Before people go off into an argument over who is better. Iconic doesn't have to mean good or the best. 

I'd say Jimmy Saville is one of the most iconic figures of the last decade!

Lewindowski for instance is  a vastly superior footballer when compared to Mario Ballotelli, however I would argue that Ballotelli is more iconic.

Iconic is someone who's image becomes an Icon for a specific time or group of people. In my opinion Vardy is a true white working class icon who's image will always remind people of British football in 2010s he is a truly iconic for his story, personality and successes and should win this hands down. He won't though because it's a public vote.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

People get confused and vote the best player, that isn’t necessarily what iconic means... 

Iconic has become such an overused word that it's virtually meaningless now.

Everything - from mildly amusing TV shows to washed up musicians to once-popular biscuits - is now described as 'iconic'. So much so that the term is now a bit of a joke.

Having said that, Vardy's story is brilliant and unique...and if he ends up being canonised by the Russian Orthodox Church (and I wouldn't put it past him) he could become a true icon.

• Like 1