Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

On 07/03/2021 at 13:55, Langston said:

Couldn't win really, won't they have to form a guard of honour next week (in theory?)

No lol

No chance

We've had countless opportunities in the last twenty years when Rangers should have given us a guard of honour and we haven't so we better not give them one when we play them next.

• Like 1

Some people will say i'll use any stick to beat Liverpool with (And they'd be right) but genuinely, I don't think I saw any criticism of Liverpool's fans going out celebrating, breaking rules, e.t.c. (Certainly little to none in the media - It seemed almost condoned from what I remember watching).

Far from the level of what i'm seeing regarding Rangers - may I add that it doesn't make it right or excuse them.

I seem to remember seeing some criticism of their fans shooting fireworks at the Liver building (?) because it was lit up blue, but that was about it.

I saw criticism of Leeds when they got promoted, I guess the club didn't help that by going out on a coach or something like that I seem to remember.

Edited by Matt

3 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

In pictures: Rangers - the fans' journey, season 2013/14 - Daily Record

Objectively the worst football club on the planet. 

Hope Dermot is drinking this all in. So glad Rodgers got out when he did. Had to of seen this coming especially after Liverpool and what they stuck him with there in his last season. If Celtic are smart they'll hire a top notch manager who will set up a system for the whole club and stick to it this time. Patience is needed. Really need to structure the club from the top down with people who know what they are doing.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Some people will say i'll use any stick to beat Liverpool with (And they'd be right) but genuinely, I don't think I saw any criticism of Liverpool's fans going out celebrating, breaking rules, e.t.c. (Certainly little to none in the media - It seemed almost condoned from what I remember watching).

Far from the level of what i'm seeing regarding Rangers - may I add that it doesn't make it right or excuse them.

I seem to remember seeing some criticism of their fans shooting fireworks at the Liver building (?) because it was lit up blue, but that was about it.

I saw criticism of Leeds when they got promoted, I guess the club didn't help that by going out on a coach or something like that I seem to remember.

To be fair though, as I recall, restrictions were not quite as strict as they are just now. 

Also, all reports suggested it was quite jovial in Liverpool. So far, the fallout from the Glasgow, I've saw reports of racial abuse, videos of them fighting amongst themselves, countless pictures of the destruction of public and private property including memorial benches and saw that police Scotland have made arrests regarding sectarian singing....

They deserve every bit of criticism they get. They are animals.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

To be fair though, as I recall, restrictions were not quite as strict as they are just now. 

Also, all reports suggested it was quite jovial in Liverpool. So far, the fallout from the Glasgow, I've saw reports of racial abuse, videos of them fighting amongst themselves, countless pictures of the destruction of public and private property including memorial benches and saw that police Scotland have made arrests regarding sectarian singing....

Didn't a Liverpool fan through a firework into the Liver Building? lol I agree though, I don't know why celebrations turn into criminal damage. It's the same when English fans are abroad, it's just a lack of respect for anything. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Didn't a Liverpool fan through a firework into the Liver Building? lol I agree though, I don't know why celebrations turn into criminal damage. It's the same when English fans are abroad, it's just a lack of respect for anything. 

The bigger the crowd, the lower the IQ. 

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

When they won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1972, in Barcelona, they went on a spree of destruction, starting inside the ground, that got so bad John Greig was presented with the trophy in the dressing room. After that they went and tracked down chapels and started smashing them up. The end result being they got banned from Europe for two years and couldn't defend their own trophy.

When they next visited Barcelona some years laters they disgraced themselves on a smaller scale again, so much so that the mayor of Barcelona said that the other citizens of Glasgow should get a medal just for having to share the same city as them.

Manchester, they're next European final after Barcelona, they absolutely wreck the place and embaress the whole of Scotland. All because a big screen stopped working apparently.

Now after winning "55" they desecrate their own city, damaging it, disrespecting themselves and embaressing everyone again.

Stands shut in recent years in Europe due to racism, going to Israel and being caught doing Nazi salutes.

As Ian Archer once said, a permanent embaressment and an occassional disgrace.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/all-sports/would-scotland-miss-rangers_sto4706809/story.shtml

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bamboo said:

I can’t find a single Rangers’ fan either on social media, radio, or TV that doesn’t think Gerrard is using the club as a ‘stepping stone’ 

I mean come on, really? 

Well that says it all. The only reason players and managers of any note bother coming to Scotland is for a leg up to the EPL.

9 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Well that says it all. The only reason players and managers of any note bother coming to Scotland is for a leg up to the EPL.

Unfortunately for you all, there is so much (too much) money in the English Premier League. That's why clubs and league aren't comparable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Having watched all them drag fireworks and booze up to the Ibrox, it was always going to go badly in the end. 

Some genuinely went to just experience the win, but you could tell a few were up to cause havoc. 

13 hours ago, Bamboo said:

I can’t find a single Rangers’ fan either on social media, radio, or TV that doesn’t think Gerrard is using the club as a ‘stepping stone’ 

I mean come on, really? 

It's fairly apparent Gerrard is gaining experience there before moving on to another club. Same with every manager or player really. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

Derek McInnes sacked at Aberdeen. Not sure what to make of that, they obviously have their reasons but from the outside it looked like he'd established them as the best of the rest behind the Old Firm. Although they didn't score many goals and often dropped points against the poorer teams which could be the reason. They will probably drop a few places down the table following his sacking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Derek McInnes sacked at Aberdeen. Not sure what to make of that, they obviously have their reasons but from the outside it looked like he'd established them as the best of the rest behind the Old Firm. Although they didn't score many goals and often dropped points against the poorer teams which could be the reason. They will probably drop a few places down the table following his sacking.

I think he is a classic case of staying in the job too long. He took them as far a he could and it was only going to go one way after that. 

He should have taken the Scotland job a couple of years ago. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Next Birmingham manager, Arriba

Talksport made me laugh (As usual) the other day when they were saying that Rangers winning the league was fantastic for Scottish Football. 

Wrong.

It would be fantastic for Scottish football if one of Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock, St Johnston etc... won the league. Rangers winning it means that all that has happened is a return to the boring Celtic/Rangers dominance that is all everyone has known since 1986.

Since 1955, Celtic or Rangers have only failed to win the title on 8 occasions. Even their fans must be getting a bit bored of this now, surely? A bit more healthy competition would be fantastic for Scottish football.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Talksport made me laugh (As usual) the other day when they were saying that Rangers winning the league was fantastic for Scottish Football. 

Wrong.

It would be fantastic for Scottish football if one of Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs, Kilmarnock, St Johnston etc... won the league. Rangers winning it means that all that has happened is a return to the boring Celtic/Rangers dominance that is all everyone has known since 1986.

Since 1955, Celtic or Rangers have only failed to win the title on 8 occasions. Even their fans must be getting a bit bored of this now, surely? A bit more healthy competition would be fantastic for Scottish football.

It'll never happen unless a team breaks FFP regularly. You might get it happen one season every decade or so, but that's about it. Look at the average attendances, Rangers and Celtic are 50k+ whilst the next best team is about 15k. As soon as a team does well or has a standout player, they'll be pouched within 12-18 months by Rangers or Celtic (if they don't move abroad)

I don't know if it'll ever change tbh, can't see it myself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I think he is a classic case of staying in the job too long. He took them as far a he could and it was only going to go one way after that. 

He should have taken the Scotland job a couple of years ago. 

This is spot on. Part of me feels sorry for McInnes in that he only won the one trophy as he was unfortunate to meet the best side in Scottish football in a long time. Of the 12 trophies we won in a row I reckon we must have beaten Aberdeen in at least 7 finals.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bamboo said:

I mean come on, really? 

I had to laugh yesterday when I caught abit of Jim White on talksport, almost taking offence at people suggesting Gerrard is using the club as a 'stepping stone', the irony, this is a man who loves whipping up transfer rumours and 'selling' players from 'smaller' clubs to the 'bigger' clubs.

Seems he doesn't like it when its applied to his own club.

Edited by Matt

Let's be honest, though. Most clubs in the Premier League are a step down from Rangers with European football (Champions League next year). Why would he swap that for most Premier League jobs right now?

I know Rodgers took a step back with us but he'd already managed in England and had nearly completed what he needed to at Celtic. The only English job that interests Gerrard is Liverpool. We had the right appeal for Rodgers (recent champions, good squad, supportive owners, new facilities incoming), Gerrard would take some serious persuading to leave Rangers for something other than Liverpool.