Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

The game goes ahead this weekend.

Police on high alert.

You can bet that the dreadful statistic of domestic abuse following these games will not fall away, either.

I love Glasgow, I've chosen to spend my life here, but I really, really hate this fixture and all that flows from it.

FTOF.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

Is it just me who thinks guard of honours are lame?  I don't blame any team not giving them, I can't imagine the players want to have them either.

Just acknowledgement really isn't it. Players probably hate it but it's just respectful I guess.

1 hour ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Yeah Im already bored of it, didn't know we had some closet Celtic fans in the mist lol

I spent 17 years of my life as a Rangers fan. 7 of those, each weekend I was either in the Broomloan stand or I was in a supportes bus travelling up and down the country. 

When I speak about how vile Rangers fans are, I do it with an extremely detailed first hand knowledge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always found Vac's comments on the Old Firm the best- no taking sides, just an outside view from the heartland.

Isn't it just the case that there are too many people on either side for it to die down? Average of 55k between them attending the grounds, many more fans outside the area and it spreads to other countries through generations moving around.

19 minutes ago, Corky said:

Isn't it just the case that there are too many people on either side for it to die down? Average of 55k between them attending the grounds, many more fans outside the area and it spreads to other countries through generations moving around.

Yup.

They bleed other clubs' support.

When they had fans allowed in the ground, bus loads of fans would come to Glasgow from all over the rest of Scotland.

Plane loads came over every weekend from Belfast and bus-fulls over on the boat, too.

They can keep it.  Those years we didn't have OF games were among the more pleasant to be living in Glasgow.

One of the things I love about going to support Partick Thistle is that their songs about those other Glasgow clubs  are particularly venomous (although they have quite a good one about Kilmarnock FC, too :ph34r:).

2 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I spent 17 years of my life as a Rangers fan. 7 of those, each weekend I was either in the Broomloan stand or I was in a supportes bus travelling up and down the country. 

When I speak about how vile Rangers fans are, I do it with an extremely detailed first hand knowledge. 

I used to live in Govan and once a fortnight the Currant Buns would descend and generally make the area impossible to move in.  The first time I heard them described as "The Orcs" I'd never heard anything so fitting.

Those massed ranks of leather jackets, sovvy rings and sweat laced Hai Karate, it wasn't pleasant.  lol

I say this as someone who has been to away matches at, err, "Paradise", and had it pointed out to me by my companion (not from these parts) just how many of the Beggars were wearing grey tracky bottoms, as if it was a uniform.

• Haha 1

I’ve had more than one Rangers fan tell me they quite admire MON.

From what I’ve read on social media, no big turn out of fans and there are plenty of police about, so fingers crossed for an uneventful day.

• Like 1

I grew up leaning towards Celtic primarily because I’m Catholic and at the time Rangers weren’t signing Catholics.

These days I find them as abhorrent  as each other. My Twitter timeline this afternoon has seen a 20 something year old girl from the West Midlands tweeting about ‘Fenian c**nts’ and a forty something woman from the south west giving it to Rangers. 

It really is vile, you would think that the hatred would mellow with each generation but it just seems to passed on with equal intensity. It’s nothing to be proud of. 

Celtic not giving Rangers a guard of honour today because ‘They didn’t do it for us......’ is just proof that they just seem happy with the status quo. 

They all need a kick in the balls and told to come and join us in the 22nd Century. 

3 hours ago, Livid said:

I grew up leaning towards Celtic primarily because I’m Catholic and at the time Rangers weren’t signing Catholics.

These days I find them as abhorrent  as each other. My Twitter timeline this afternoon has seen a 20 something year old girl from the West Midlands tweeting about ‘Fenian c**nts’ and a forty something woman from the south west giving it to Rangers. 

It really is vile, you would think that the hatred would mellow with each generation but it just seems to passed on with equal intensity. It’s nothing to be proud of. 

Celtic not giving Rangers a guard of honour today because ‘They didn’t do it for us......’ is just proof that they just seem happy with the status quo. 

They all need a kick in the balls and told to come and join us in the 22nd Century. 

I don't think twitter and social media in general is the best place for a litmus test in all honesty, it attracts the worst kind of people and that's not limited to Celtic and Rangers or even football in general.

Having lived in Glasgow all my life grown up in a day and age where my parents wouldn't let me leave the house wearing the colour green and people being stabbed, killed, etc I can tell you it's not even close to what it as like in those days now, things are far safer, far more subdued and far less volatile than they were. It has mellowed a great deal believe me.

The Glen Kamara scenes before the game today when every Celtic player and member of staff, starting with Brown personally approached Kamara to lend them his support after the shocking events of midweek show there is a level of respect. Or when Walter Smith and Ally McCoist carried Tommy Burns coffin, or when hundreds of Celtic fans paid their respects at Ibrox when Fernando Ricksen tragically passed away recently. John Greig basically being called out as one of Billy McNeil's closest friends when he recently passed away/ All of that is at odds with a lot of the ill founded assumptions on here about the two clubs.

I'm not saying there aren't issues still of course they are but I do laugh when people have no real foundation for what they say go on about the relationship between the clubs and the fans nowadays and base that on pre-conceived notions from 20+ years ago.

On 20/03/2021 at 10:54, Foxy_Bear said:

Why did you stop supporting them? Who do you support in general now?

Genuinely just curious not looking for bites or anything:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why did you stop supporting them? Who do you support in general now?

Genuinely just curious not looking for bites or anything:thumbup:

I stopped supporting them because I grew up and realised that being a Rangers fan had very little to do with football and more to do with religious and political beliefs. I didn't want to be associated with the people that I looked upto as a kid anymore.

I've been a Leicester supporter since I was about 12. They were always my "second team" as I have family in Leicester and used to go to games when I went to visit so it was only natural that they became my first team when I had had enough of Rangers. 

Leicester have been my only team now since I was about 20 (I'm 35 now).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1