Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

Villa at Home (Carabao Cup)

The diamond at home bothers me and although we ripped Villa 4 new arseholes eventually, they did have a few moments early on where their wide players had a field day. If we want to get more authority in the middle of the park, baring in mind they will now be missing McGinn then 3-4-1-2 would be good with Fuchs, Soyuncu and Evans as a back three. Perez up top with Vardy or Iheanacho.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

Surely the onus for them in this leg is to defend like mad and nick at theirs? As others have said aside from Grealish they are missing more of their creative players so I would expect them to be more of a block. That should hopefully mean other areas are more exploitable though.

just because it’s a game between the same two teams, it doesn’t mean it’s the same game. 

it’s a completely different game and we need to set up and approach it differently, because they certainly will. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The diamond at home bothers me and although we ripped Villa 4 new arseholes eventually, they did have a few moments early on where their wide players had a field day. If we want to get more authority in the middle of the park, baring in mind they will now be missing McGinn then 3-4-1-2 would be good with Fuchs, Soyuncu and Evans as a back three. Perez up top with Vardy or Iheanacho.

Why on earth would we swap to a back 3 having barely played it all season and after losing two centre halves to injury on Saturday. Absolutely no need.

Edited by TJB-fox
  • Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
51 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Why on earth would we swap to a back 3 having barely played it all season and after losing two centre halves to injury on Saturday. Absolutely no need.

Because Chilwell is seen as a weakness , if we don't do a back three then two of Wilf, Hamza or  Mendy must play.

Be interesting to see if we ever play Perez, Vardy and Iheanacho as a front 3. With Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi in midfield. That is kind of how Liverpool played under Rodgers, although Sterling was more direct. He played with forwards rather than wingers.

Could maybe too open but I don't think its much different to what we play now.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Because Chilwell is seen as a weakness , if we don't do a back three then two of Wilf, Hamza or  Mendy must play.

By who? A back four has been fine all season and a midfield 3 that only includes ONE of the three names listed above that’s got us to second in the league and into the semi final itself. Not sure where you’re getting this impression from. We only swapped to a back 3 v Newcastle for rotational purposes not because Chilwell is a weakness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Because if we want to get Perez centrally whilst also remaining dominant in the centre of the park with the Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi trio then it's the alternative to the dreaded diamond. Personally I am still a fan of our 4-1-4-1 but it has become less effective at home in December and Rodgers seems to be more than happy to keep changing systems based on who we come up against.

Guest An Sionnach
10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Who by? 

After the Man. City and Liverpool matches every opposing manager.

57 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Come on that is ridiculous.. Chilwell is the first choice England left back.. he isn't a weakness at all hes just not the finished article and about 5 years away from his prime.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, les-tah said:

...2 the best teams in Europe then

I think you should consult the Ben Chilwell thread.

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Because if we want to get Perez centrally whilst also remaining dominant in the centre of the park with the Maddison, Tielemans and Ndidi trio then it's the alternative to the dreaded diamond. Personally I am still a fan of our 4-1-4-1 but it has become less effective at home in December and Rodgers seems to be more than happy to keep changing systems based on who we come up against.

True, but I think the fact that we lost 2 centre halves on Saturday will make him think twice about using 3-5-2 until we sign a new one, if we sign a new one

I'm not against the diamond, providing Chilwell and Ricardo get forward enough

43 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

True, but I think the fact that we lost 2 centre halves on Saturday will make him think twice about using 3-5-2 until we sign a new one, if we sign a new one

The problem with the diamond is it leaves you exposed if your full backs are out of position and the central midfielders that are expected to cover the wide areas aren't in position, Tielemans and Maddison got caught out in this before. It's all preference though as 3-4-1-2 has it's own problems and whatever happens we need to be on our game for 90 minutes as our home performances of late have been below the standards we have set this season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The problem with the diamond is it leaves you exposed if your full backs are out of position and the central midfielders that are expected to cover the wide areas aren't in position, Tielemans and Maddison got caught out in this before. It's all preference though as 3-4-1-2 has it's own problems and whatever happens we need to be on our game for 90 minutes as our home performances of late have been below the standards we have set this season.

Each formation has its own risks and reward. I would like to think that at home to Aston Villa taking risks will be worth it. Not saying I want the diamond formation but at least our fullbacks could play higher up and pin their wingers back. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

We played Fuchs as the 3rd CB against Newcastle. If we did get an injury then we could always switch back to a 4 without much fuss. 

3 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

After the Man. City and Liverpool matches every opposing manager.

Because you have asked them all personally? 

His England first choice left back, who had a average game against KDB and Mahrez! 

Who has also been part of one of the best defence in the PL.

Plus he wanted by Man City and Chelsea, if you believe the paper talk.

Edited by coolhandfox

Guest An Sionnach

As I have said before John Stones plays for England, so that is no guide. Check Chilwell's match ratings , that is a decent guide. Having said that with a back three or two d.ms he still has his qualities. Tabloid newspapers talk f**king rubbish about nearly everything.

Edited by An Sionnach